Anyone here hunt with a dachshund???

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I just rescued a 13 month old dachshund/beagle mix. He’s a total sweetheart but I’ve noticed every time I take him out he has his sniffer to the ground or in the air. His hearing is unbelievable and he’s pretty well tempered. Any of you guys hunt grouse with this breed? I read some stuff online and saw some YouTube videos of an awesome dachshund flushing grouse. Maybe I’m being too optimistic? Any suggestions greatly appreciated be I think he’d be a good bird dog. Also: I have zero hunting experience regarding dogs. Thanks guys!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
A dachshund is one of the most versatile hunting dogs there is. In Germany they are called a Teckel (wirehaired dachshund). Trailing wounded game, retrieving, flushing birds, rabbits, squirrel, pigs and as an earth dog, tunneling underground to flush rabbit, fox and badger for hunters and falconers. Dachshunds from European lines will open up on scent alone. In Germany, strict breeding guidelines have preserved the hunt in them, is yours a teckel, no, but it may be showing you a few of the characteristics they were initially born with as hunters. They have a great nose, and cold track wounded deer/bear up to 24 or more if conditions are right to preserve scent. This is what serious trackers use them for most in the US. There's a few breeders in the US, who breed German wirehaired dachshunds (teckels) with European lines, but they are waitlisted heavily and buyers screened before purchase etc. Watch some videos. See what his prey drive is like, try some blood trails or deer liver drag with the dog, place some goodies, liver would be good to munch on at end of trail, or deer hide, see what he does. I lucked out and will have a teckel within 2 weeks.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If you or the dog has interest in blood tracking or trailing, read the book Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer by John Jeanneney. It's the tracking Bible here in the states. It's is a great read for all hunters actually.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
If the dog shows interest, run with it. I had a dachshund that would run rabbits and deer, while giving mouth. He could stick with'em pretty good too. He would also tree squirrels, but when they jumped trees he would loose them.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
A dachshund is one of the most versatile hunting dogs there is. In Germany they are called a Teckel (wirehaired dachshund). Trailing wounded game, retrieving, flushing birds, rabbits, squirrel, pigs and as an earth dog, tunneling underground to flush rabbit, fox and badger for hunters and falconers. Dachshunds from European lines will open up on scent alone. In Germany, strict breeding guidelines have preserved the hunt in them, is yours a teckel, no, but it may be showing you a few of the characteristics they were initially born with as hunters. They have a great nose, and cold track wounded deer/bear up to 24 or more if conditions are right to preserve scent. This is what serious trackers use them for most in the US. There's a few breeders in the US, who breed German wirehaired dachshunds (teckels) with European lines, but they are waitlisted heavily and buyers screened before purchase etc. Watch some videos. See what his prey drive is like, try some blood trails or deer liver drag with the dog, place some goodies, liver would be good to munch on at end of trail, or deer hide, see what he does. I lucked out and will have a teckel within 2 weeks.
Based on what you've written here, I'll bet you're very familiar with John Jeanneney's book. I've been reading up on the tracking subject myself and am considering a dachshund as my next dog. Where are you getting your teckel from?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know a gentleman that spent some time working in Sweden. He was invited deer hunting, it was explained that they use dogs to drive the deer. He thinks, "ah, not unlike good old North Carolina." He shows up, and everyone drives up, in sedans, station wagons, not a dog box to be seen...Then everyone goes to get their...Wiener Dog! He said it actually was neat because while they would drive the deer, they can only go but so fast, so the deer walk out at a relaxed pace.

They call them teckels, and like hounds here, they are expected to be spurlaucht, or loud-on-scent, just like houndsmen in the US expect their dog to open up when they hit a track.

See if you can find someone with some beagles to take him hunting with.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They also use them for Bed bug detection. They have a great nose and can fit in tiny spaces.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Thank you for the detailed reply !!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I greatly appreciate EVERYONES feedback! Been about 2 weeks since posting. I’ve been working like a dog (pun intended) to make up for lost hours due to winter weather. Haven’t gotten him out in the field yet...but he has come around quite a bit. Not as skidish, lets me know when someone coming up the drive when they are a half mile away, loves beef heart as a snack , and spends any time outdoors (3 hours a day) with his nose into somethin. Hope to get him out after some squirrel or see how he does w grouse this weekend

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Pretty much all that needs to be said. My "teckel" is 7 years old. Things he does never seem to amaze me.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Only thing I can add. The European breed is a bigger dog than the American breed. They are true killers. My is as loving as one can be to people. Doesn't do to well with other animals.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
His name is Zach von Moosbach-zuzelek. Goes by cooper. Hes no different then a teckel, but technically he's not a teckel since his parents did not compete/register in Germany, but their parents did. So we call him a wirehaired dachshund with European bloodline. He is a Jeanneney dog.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I thought they were actually supposed to be smaller in weight, around 20 lbs. Mine is 10 mths not full grown, will fill out more at year and a half. We did a training track yesterday that was too easy, I didn't want to hold him back as his Garmin wasn't on so I tried to keep up with him on lead. Let's just say I wish my dad would have told me he put the track through a log fence. Full speed slide for me, also dodging tons of sticks I'm lucky I still have both eyes. It was our first track together, let's just say as we walked up to blood, I did not expect, but :donk:donk:donk:donk got real, and it got real very quickly, he turned on the switch.

Last edited: