1187 safety sticking

JD1107

Any adivice on what to do besides throw the gun in a lake or buy a new safety?? I’ve taken the gun apart completely and have removed the current safety and cleaned it in hopes of fixing the problem. Still nothing.. I can click the safety off just fine it’s when I try clicking it back on that’s giving me trouble and sometimes really have to apply pressure for it slide over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve looked in the vang comp safety’s and may go that route if I can’t figure anything else out.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Replace the spring that pushes down on the ball detent with a slighty weaker one or clip a single coil off the current spring. Apply a very small spot of teflon gun grease to where the ball detent rides on the safety. I use Gunslick brand.

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
If it worked fine last year, you have to figure out:

What changed?.....has a burr formed somewhere?

Has the spring weakened?...or tweaked?

.....sounds like you have cleared any debris at this point.........

If your thinking aftermarket.....some go to the oversize ones

JD1107

Replace the spring that pushes down on the ball detent with a slighty weaker one or clip a single coil off the current spring. Apply a very small spot of teflon gun grease to where the ball detent rides on the safety. I use Gunslick brand.

<>< Fish

This worked. I clipped the spring just a little bit and it&#8217;s working like new again. Thank you!

Last edited:

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Small burr or catch on your trigger. I just had to do my SP10 that was doing same thing. Small chain saw file and removed very small amount and like new again. I could see the catch with small light after safety removed from housing. Maybe this will help.