Scouting

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Is anyone going to take the opportunity with this snow storm to go scouting to see where the deer have been moving?

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
I wish I had the time and could. It’d be a really good time to call in a predator too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I'll probably take a look tomorrow afternoon, give it about 24 hours and get and idea about any movement tonight and tomorrow morning.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I wish I had the time and could. It’d be a really good time to call in a predator too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking the same thing but with that wind tonight and zero moon I'm gonna wait I guess.

Got a new caller I've been itching to try out

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i did the last time we had snow and was surprised by some things i found. i enjoy it.

it beats walking for no reason except to exercise or escape cabin fever. this one is deep enough to give you a few days of tracking.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
It's very rewarding... 1 small semi-urban property that holds very few deer had me wondering if maybe stand was in the wrong spot

Several years ago the snow revealed it's in best spot for that property. Literally the tracks revealed that every deer, although they came from 4 directions) passed through the creek funnel within 50yds of my stand

Killed a non typical 10 from it this year

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If we don't work tomorrow I'm going duck hunting, and scouting another body of water to duck hunt Saturday

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Maybe by tomorrow the rabbits will be stirring; squirrels haven't left their beds all day. Might string my old recurve, grab a couple of dum-dums and go try to find a couple of rabbits if it warms enough to soften the snow on top, don't fancy moping around the woods sounding like a rock crusher.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Every time I've scouted deer activity after snow storms that left the ground covered, I found the deer moved from honeysuckle patch to honeysuckle patch. During these outings I also learned how prevalent honeysuckle is throughout the woods pretty much. It's thin and sporadic...but it's there. I found evidence of deer browsing this "random" honeysuckle on their way to and from the more substantial thicket-oriented honeysuckle patches. That's been my takeaway from snow scouting over the years....honeysuckle is the ticket.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
i did the last time we had snow and was surprised by some things i found. i enjoy it.

it beats walking for no reason except to exercise or escape cabin fever. this one is deep enough to give you a few days of tracking.

Last year on Jordan game land, I found a deer highway in the snow. There was an actual tunnel through a thick area of brush. I would have never seen it without the snow.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Took a walk in the woods yesterday while it was still snowing and deer were hunkered down for the most part, no tracks in the smoking hot trail I know runs behind my house. Did sneak up on 4 does feeding in a pine/cedar thicket, on honeysuckle like mentioned above. Also saw where the guy occupying the buck bed I know about along the river got up at some point before I got there.

HeadsPopOff

Button Buck
I got the last 2 days off, brother in law swore he saw fox tracks so I went to check the camera. Decent bit of action. No turkeys but I got these.
849b30bd4a4c4298427d6f4556c338cb.jpg
a7b1db183ef798d0a20d64d3445d7b09.jpg
c8c469a5e239d0fd828f978fda227f25.jpg
7af687aae91c679cd1e2ff5f85f47937.jpg
5d098be267351f88cc29b144a05defde.jpg
d487a09e8e0338345137517d59d21365.jpg
79a54673ce5be89f7f869cbfd1bdbfb8.jpg
4ec5b5a941c1f6cdb2d2317f951d4d01.jpg
e5bd486e8d68092b2b21a76509069ec5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HeadsPopOff

Button Buck
That fox been tormenting me for weeks now. I know it's cold out but I got a little dry spot, makeshift blind with a roof. Only real issue is staying out until 3 when I have extra work in the morning because of the days off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Realized the last snow we had in season why the hunting is hard at our lease, plenty of tracks but really no specific trails, they meandered all over, totally random. They all leave and enter big cutovers but that was the only pattern!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I decided to go scouting yesterday. At my primary hunting location, I only found two trails. That was disappointing. My second stop was the horse farm I hunt. There was tracks everywhere. I noticed some trails entering or exiting the woods that I wouldn't have noticed without the snow. The farm is only about 1/2 mile by the crow from my primary hunting area. I guess I know where the deer went. At a third spot on Jordan game land, I found several multi-track trails. They were the same ones I found last year from a snow storm. It was nice to see the deer using the same trails from year to year.