Govt Ducks

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Some things you don't think about. I just got a call from Mattamuskeet telling me that my hunt will go on ask scheduled Friday but if a budget is not signed by midnight Friday they are locking the gates and there will be no hunt Saturday. I was potentially only hunting Friday anyway but I will be pretty bummed on the off chance that its good Friday and the government cancelled a hunt.

I hunted the Federal Blinds last Friday and Saturday: #4 on Friday and #14 on Saturday.
On Friday morning, 14 of the 16 selectees claimed their blinds and there were at least eight and perhaps ten groups of "stand-by" hoping for a blind.
I had not hunted the Federal Blinds in perhaps twenty years.
We shot at one duck on Friday and one duck on Saturday with 54 decoys out each day.

It is enjoyable being on the Lake and seeing some birds, but you need to go for the trip, not for the hunting.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yea I'm well aware of how the hunting is there. I have had one good day in the past 6 times I've been. Prob going to try and use a small spread and change it up.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
9 Used to be a pretty good blind . I dare say better than the majority down there. I have hunted it years ago and came out with a limit of five , back when the limit was five .

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Yep, 9 is indeed one of the better ones there. I’d go for that one. It’s a looooooong arse walk, best to have cart or wagon to haul all gear, including waders because you’ll be hotter than a two dollar pistol wearing them. Wear some slip on boots for the walk, then change out when you get to the jump off ...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It was about what I expected for skeet these days. 2 wood ducks and a gadwall. When we left no one had done any better or taken anything notable. The snow was cool but our blind had about 20yds of 1.5in thick ice infront of it when we got there. We really didn’t see that many birds on the lake, not even flying high or in the middle. We had 4 pairs give us a look and that was it. I suppose we should of had one more. The bird dropped, helicoptered down and laid motionless in the water. The dog went out and got within feet of it, it’s springs back to life and flies away. Didn’t dive, swim or anything went right to flying. The damndest thing.