State of Emergency

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Started here in Mount Gilead at 830 hrs and ain't let up yet. Still coming down hard and fine. Maybe get tomorrow off?

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Were eating brownies and coffee and coke and chips and tacos and ice cream and......we love emergencies!!!!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just started to cook dinner and all the power went out in NE Raleigh.......

Wait for a little and see if it comes back before I break out the backup power.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Andy is always on somewhere. And if I have to get all dressed up with boots and stuff to go get something out of the freezer in my detached garage, that's an emergency for me. My crocs that I leave on the back porch might freeze and there'll be so much snow on top of the hot tub that I can't get in it. Dire circumstances indeed.

thbassin

Button Buck
Huh? Did I miss something? I was at the store stocking up on milk and bread....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ok- now it is an emergency.... my power just went out and I don’t own a generator

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just wish the idiots who think they have go 10 to 15 MPH would listen to whomever and stay off the roads and stop creating traffic hazards. And the idiots who do not have the good sense to turn their lights on too.

But I agree that this weather event is a poor excuse for and emergency.

Got my traps checked and will not have to pass anymore idiots today.

Gotta agree with this^^^^^^

Work requires that I have to be out driving in this, did 260 miles yesterday. Biggest aggravation was people driving 10 - 20 MPH, when 40 - 50MPH was more appropriate. (Winter driving tip: you're NOT going to make it up that steep hill if you don't get up some speed before you start climbing it). It'll be even worse today, when that slush on the road starts to packdown and refreeze.....

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had to mention the governor because he was the one on the news. Was not discounting that the previous governor did the same thing. Just point to the sad state of affairs when a little snow is considered a qualifier for a State of Emergency. Basically, what are we teaching the kids. 'The sky is falling" run for your lives. To me, society in general is getting pretty pathetic when things like this play out all over the country.

I agree just about turned nation into a bunch of sissy's.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A politician's worst nightmare would be that they didn't go to DEFCON 1, and that little snow unexpectedly turned into freezing rain and put us all in the dark. Political careers are made or lost in things like this. Most voters will form an opinion based on things like whether their Governor "cares" or how long it took to clear the snow. They are unable to distinguish between the slick roads in Raleigh that are the responsibility of the city council vs. state roads. That's why you see the Governor on the news in a bass boat "helping" the National Guard pull puppies out of flooded houses. It's all a show and the gullible low-information types eat it up.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I just wish the idiots who think they have go 10 to 15 MPH would listen to whomever and stay off the roads and stop creating traffic hazards. And the idiots who do not have the good sense to turn their lights on too.

But I agree that this weather event is a poor excuse for and emergency.

Got my traps checked and will not have to pass anymore idiots today.

This....took me 2hr 15 min to get to work and the only real issue was this. I had to pass ~10 cars in basically the median of 15/501 going into chapel Hill because some little old lady in her subaru thought 15mph was appropriate. The rest of the sheeple just followed like ducks....

I flashed my lights and most moved over far enough...her, no. When I went by she was paying no attention to anything except forward. 10 and 2 white knuckled.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Devil's advocate.

A winter "storm" impacts nearly EVERY state in NC? How often has that happened?

Like asked previously.

What constitutes an "emergency"?

I have no idea how it's combobulated, but I'd imagine it has a bit to do with assuming

A. Increase in emergencies of all kinds. (drivers, people walking, people cold etc)_
B. Dilution of emergency handlers
C. Increased calls to 911
D. Hospital staff
E. Power outages.
F. Idiots.

Keep in mind, I don't really know what $ changes hands in a "State of Emergency".

But, If I KNEW that many people would lose power, slide off roads, fall on sidewalks, slide their cars into creeks, on top of the illnesses running around? I'd issue one!!!

Power alone think of this. My mother was on 100% oxygen 100% of the time last year. As bad as it gets. I loaded the truck to try to get up there last year in March, as they expected a huge snowfall. If she lost power, she had 6 hours of life left in her portable O2 tanks. 6 hours. Now, FR's are supposed to thread between the real emergencies and the fender benders?

She got 31 inches. Never lost power Thank God.

I'm ok erring on the side of caution.

Again, I don't know what $ happens with SOE. But I do realize extreme weather (power outages, icy roads) = more emergencies than many of us realize.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
First rule of hot tub, clean often while it is snowing and have extra toboggans for sitting in hot water after snow is done/still snowing.
Andy is always on somewhere. And if I have to get all dressed up with boots and stuff to go get something out of the freezer in my detached garage, that's an emergency for me. My crocs that I leave on the back porch might freeze and there'll be so much snow on top of the hot tub that I can't get in it. Dire circumstances indeed.

Last edited: