Contributor
94AE6BE0-0920-4C0F-86AD-858329200694.jpg

So what is wrong with this picture?

.303 Savage 1899 manufactured in 1905.

Old man shooting with iron sights.

koszman

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Where do you get the 303 savage ammo I have a savage 1899 in 300 and 303 savage. Got them from my grandfather and haven’t shot them.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Where do you get the 303 savage ammo I have a savage 1899 in 300 and 303 savage. Got them from my grandfather and haven’t shot them.

I have some old ammo I bought a few years ago. But you can buy it online. Hornaday does a run every few years. Google is your friend.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Does look like a keyhole. Did the backer of the target have metal? I have seen distorted impacts due to impacting metal.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it was a smoke pole, I would say not enough powder. Have you checked the bullet diameter to make sure it's not undersize?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A tumbler at 25 yards???

Im guessing worn out rifling or bad, out of date ammo. Bullets aren't stable and aren't grouping well.

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had 22 ammo doing that to me back in the heart of that “shortage” companies were pumping out rounds with less powder than a pellet gun

Did the report of the rifle sound normal?

Edited to say the only reason I knew it was hitting sideways is it stuck in. E 3/4” styrofoam I shot
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A tumbler at 25 yards???

Im guessing worn out rifling or bad, out of date ammo. Bullets aren't stable and aren't grouping well.

Ammo is 50+/- years old.

As for grouping, I'd say that is on me. Bad eyes, old man and no bench rest.

Last edited: