SHOUTOUT to Cabelas Ft. Mill - long story but it is good

Packfan

Eight Pointer
My son was utilizing some of his Christmas money on a new tackle box in the store a couple of weeks ago. Upon checkout, the lady reminded him that any Cabelas branded item carries a lifetime warranty. He said cool, thanks, and we walked out of the door. Fast forward a couple of weeks to yesterday evening. Wife looks out of the dining room window and see 13 does standing behind the house. I instinctively grab an old broken pair of binoculars that i keep in the china cabinet drawer for a quick look. When i realized that i couldn’t see I instantly thought “I wonder if Cabelas will replace them?”.

Here is the background. I bought these Cabelas 10x42 Pine Ridge binos as my first purchase with my first full-time paycheck out of college back in 2001. I hunt hard and sadly don’t really take care of my equipment. To say the least they got abused. About 6 or 7 years ago i forgot that they were lying on my tool box and needless to say we found them about 1/2 mile down the road after they took a couple of 55 mph bounces. The bouncing knocked one side of the objectives sideways so you would have to hold them crooked to see out of them. A year or two later my kid dropped the on the concrete driveway and actually knocked them back in line but it knocked one eye price off of them. This they became totally junk. Fast forward to today. I stroll up to the Cabelas customer service desk, show them the bino’s, and ask half heartedly if the lifetime warranty would cover them since the Cabelas metal plate was gone so there was no identification. The girl asked me “What did you do? Hit them with a baseball bat?”. I told her the truth and she kinda grinned, got on her headset and called the store manager. He looked at them and said “give me a second”. Couple of minutes later he comes to the front with a brand spanking new pair of their Insanity 10x42’s and said “this is the closest thing that i have to the ones that broke. Have a good day and thanks for your business”.

That’s customer service! That’s why i buy way more from them than any other outdoor retailer. I was scared that their service would go to the crapper after Bass Pro bought them but after today’s experience I don’t think that it will.

Packfan

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That was right up there with the lady that got a Christmas tree from a big box store then returned it Jan 6 if I remember saying it was dead........

Good for you....

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im going to 2nd mr gadget. It is awesome that they are willing to do that.....but that is not what warranty is for. I am trying to say this as nicely as possible.

I had the chance to do the same with an LL Bean backpack and had to balk when they asked if I had been satisfied with the bag. They told me that it was under lifetime warranty, but asked if I thoght the backpack had performed for its intended lifetime. After 7 years of middle school and highschool, i had to say yes...it was the best that you could ask for. I bought another and it goes to work with me everyday on its 10th year of use.

There is no reason to take advantage of warranties just because you can. I work in an industry where you have to fight for true warranties because the system has been abused. Outdoorsmen dont need to contribute to this.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Sorry you guys feel this way. Their warranty stated in 2001 “lifetime”. Their motto was no questions asked. I’m simply blown away that they didn’t try to get out of it and they stood behind it.

Let me pose this to you. You buy a vehicle with a lifetime power train warranty. Your motor blows up 500,000 miles into the deal. You gonna say to yourself... nah, I’m not gonna make the dealership fix it because i got the good out of that car. I’ll pay for a repairs on my own or better yet, I’ll just buy a new car on my own and let the dealership and automaker off the hook. Of corse not, you paid for the warranty when you purchased the vehicle and you will take advantage of it.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
I am with you Packfan. Small price to pay for Cabelas to guarantee a customer will continue to come back for there products. I do it on a daily basis for our customers knowing that if they are happy they will continue to be loyal to us.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Man I would take the binoculars. If they offer lifetime warranty you did nothing wrong. If they want to put that on a product to help it sell go for it. I see a lot of cheap :donk:donk:donk crap this day and time. I will carry something broke back in a heart beat.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt hard and sadly don’t really take care of my equipment. To say the least they got abused. About 6 or 7 years ago i forgot that they were lying on my tool box and needless to say we found them about 1/2 mile down the road after they took a couple of 55 mph bounces. The bouncing knocked one side of the objectives sideways so you would have to hold them crooked to see out of them. A year or two later my kid dropped the on the concrete driveway and actually knocked them back in line but it knocked one eye price off of them. This they became totally junk.

"Cabella's brand merchandise is guaranteed for the life of the product against defects in workmanship under normal wear and tear conditions".

That was GREAT customer service.

Bass-n-Deer-416

Four Pointer
You did nothing wrong, you asked and they took care of it, they could have said no, that’s just outstanding customer service. I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn’t try and warranty something during its warranty period, be it 1 year warranty or lifetime warranty. Most people don’t understand retail, consumers sometimes pay higher product cost to offset warranty cost for the company, also there are some people who don’t go through the trouble of trying to warranty something because they feel it’s a waste of time. Warranties are there for a reason and should be used as such. Just my 2 cents.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry you guys feel this way. Their warranty stated in 2001 “lifetime”. Their motto was no questions asked. I’m simply blown away that they didn’t try to get out of it and they stood behind it.

Let me pose this to you. You buy a vehicle with a lifetime power train warranty. Your motor blows up 500,000 miles into the deal. You gonna say to yourself... nah, I’m not gonna make the dealership fix it because i got the good out of that car. I’ll pay for a repairs on my own or better yet, I’ll just buy a new car on my own and let the dealership and automaker off the hook. Of corse not, you paid for the warranty when you purchased the vehicle and you will take advantage of it.

Not really the same...If you didn't properly maintain the oil and filter or air filter and then the engine blew it would be a similar story... :)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry you guys feel this way. Their warranty stated in 2001 “lifetime”. Their motto was no questions asked. it.

Yep and read the rest if it.
not from neglect or abuse.

That is why the rest if us will pay more or they will do away with it because of the abuse of others.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
It is great the manager stood behind his products and replaced the binos, no questions asked. Somewhat reminds me of the Leupold warranty where optics that have been through Hell and back, twice, are restored or replaced with zero questions.

To the LL Bean warranty, a buddy was in Freeport on his honeymoon years ago and made a visit to the main Bean location. In line at customer service was a man with a 10+ year old, worn out pair of boots...he was returning them under the "lifetime warranty" for replacement and the rep at the counter told him to go get a new pair and they replaced them at no charge. A bit over the top if you ask me but another example of going the extra mile to please a customer.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Don’t bash me! You guys obviously didn’t read the title or this post word for word. I purchased their product. It came with a warranty. I told them the God’s honest truth of what happened to their branded product. I didn’t skirt the truth it in any way, shape, or form. I asked “half heartedly” if the were covered by the warranty knowing fully that they could have said no. I would have been perfectly fine with that if they did. I understand how warranties and the fine print work. I deal with contracts for a living in my day to day life. My wife and i also own 3 small businesses so i know what returns and extra work cost everyone (including other customers).

I started the title with SHOUTOUT and i ended the post with “that’s great service”. That’s simply all that i tried to convey. How awesome my customer service experience was.

1) I’m sure they picked up on me telling them that my dad purchased my hunting clothes from them back in the 80s&90s that my family was long time customers.
2)I’m sure they realized when i told them that they were purchased in 2001 with my first paycheck from my first real job out of college that i had brand loyalty.
3) they probably also realized that i mentioned that i was in there a few weeks earlier with my son (8 years old) who was spending his money that there was a 3rd generation customer in the making.
4) this was all before they asked for my ID and pulled me up in their system and said “Wow. You have been buying from us for a long time”.

The whole point was a SHOUTOUT on Cableas and their customer service! They put their money where their mouth is in this particular instance. The post was not to boast how i got one over on them. I would have been 100% satisfied if they said no.

I spend thousands of dollars in Cabelas annually. Hell, for years they sent me the full grain leather bound master catalog. I also distribute money to other outdoors stores as well. Their customer service on this account will likely persuade me to buy from them more in the future on smaller purchases. I have shared this same story to my friends on Facebook who also spend a hell of a lot of money on outdoor gear. The free praise and word of mouth advertising that they got from me yesterday will more than make up for a measly $199 pair of binos.

By the way, someone on this forum mentioned dropping a gun from a tree stand a while back with a Leupold scope on it. It broke the scope. They sent back to Leupold for repair and Leupold sent them a brand new scope as a replacement. That’s not “normal wear and tear”. People on this very forum praised Leupold for their warranty and customer service. What’s the difference? Don’t be hypocrites. Don’t immediately think “what’s this gonna cost me”

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It is great that they will go above and beyond as a seller.

Just sucks and shows the type of person to take advantage of that......

yep you played the sob story on how they owe it to you.....

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
I don't see any issue with checking with the store to see if they would replace the item. If the store chooses to that's their business.

As for Leupold (and Burris and Sightron from my personal experience) they will tell you that they don't care what happened to the scope or if you were the first owner. They advertise about repairing or replace scopes burned in fires, found on return hunting trips to where they were lost etc.

For Leupold, I squared up the action and and cut down and re-chambered a Remington M700 target rifle about 10 years ago for a friend who had recently taken it in trade. It had matte finish and sported a high magnification Leupold scope with a loose and canted reticle that had a gloss finish and which retailed for just under $1K at the time. While I had the rifle I called Leupold as they advertise that they don't care about the circumstances on a warranty claim and explained the situation. They responded that they warranted scopes and not buyers, that they didn't care if the new owner was the original owner and that I should send the scope back for repair or replacement. So off it went. The new owner wanted it back with a matte finish so Leupold took the lenses out of the damaged scope, installed them in a matte tube, replaced the damaged reticle, added new target turrets and only charged for the new scope tube (around $100).

About the same time I dropped a rifle sporting a 4-12x50 Burris Fullfield scope I had bought used and damaged the ocular bell. I called Burris and explained the situation. They replied as Leupold had. They didn't care that I wasn't the original buyer or that I damaged the scope. As we were about ten days out from deer season I asked how fast they could get it back and the only thing they said was "The fast you ship it to us the faster we'll get it back to you." Same deal. No charge and only about eight days door to door.

And lastly, maybe five years ago a Sightron SII Big Sky scope got damaged when it got knocked off a workbench a concrete slab. Same deal. They didn't care that I damaged it and repaired it free.

There are a lot of stand up outfits out there who will do similar stuff. Like Duluth Trading Co. for clothes and........

Lance

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I bought a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks a couple years ago because of the warranty. As long as you have something to prove that you did have them, even if you ran over them, they would replace them. Hopefully, I do not need that warranty, but a great knowing piece of mind knowing that they are covered. Same way Craftsman uses to replace any tool, even if a breaker bar or two may have been used.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
It is great that they will go above and beyond as a seller.

Just sucks and shows the type of person to take advantage of that......

yep you played the sob story on how they owe it to you.....

From the follow up replies of others, it sounds like you are PMSing over a common practice with reputable companies who stand behind their products. They do so because that gets them brand recognition and ultimately even more business. It’s called marketing and they teach that class in both high school and college.

Utilizing your logic, I guess all these other guys commenting about sending broken optics and other products back must be pieces of crap as well. As far as sob story goes.... none here. I told the truth and don’t feel a bit guilty about it. As far as my character goes, I’ll let my friends, family, any my God judge me on that. Not some butt hurt keyboard cowboy.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
From the follow up replies of others, it sounds like you are PMSing over a common practice with reputable companies who stand behind their products. They do so because that gets them brand recognition and ultimately even more business. It’s called marketing and they teach that class in both high school and college.

Utilizing your logic, I guess all these other guys commenting about sending broken optics and other products back must be pieces of crap as well. As far as sob story goes.... none here. I told the truth and don’t feel a bit guilty about it. As far as my character goes, I’ll let my friends, family, any my God judge me on that. Not some butt hurt keyboard cowboy.

no but hurt here.
Just know what is the right thing to do and wrong.

You posted the sob story you told them.
Scope was a different story all together. And if you remember from that thread a lot of people thought it was the wrong thing to do and me mad about. It was outside the warranty there for no warranty. Yes they offered to help him with a discount above and beyond.

Yours is clear from what you stated. They were abused and should not be covered.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and i also own 3 small businesses so i know what returns and extra work cost everyone (including other customers).

1) I’m sure they picked up on me telling them that my dad purchased my hunting clothes from them back in the 80s&90s that my family was long time customers.
2)I’m sure they realized when i told them that they were purchased in 2001 with my first paycheck from my first real job out of college that i had brand loyalty.
3) they probably also realized that i mentioned that i was in there a few weeks earlier with my son (8 years old) who was spending his money that there was a 3rd generation customer in the making.
4) this was all before they asked for my ID and pulled me up in their system and said “Wow. You have been buying from us for a long time”.

If you think this is the right thing to do let us know you businesses so we can return the favor. ... No pun intended. ..

there was your sob story.

lewis9378449

Four Pointer
Packfan, glad to hear it all worked out for you. Don't let the negativity get to you. Your example just goes to show you get more fly's with honey than vinegar.

Its been my experience when dealing with customer service people that when you talk to them like they control the situation and are respectful, courteous, and humble, most of the time they will go out of their way to help you.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Packfan, glad to hear it all worked out for you. Don't let the negativity get to you. Your example just goes to show you get more fly's with honey than vinegar.

Its been my experience when dealing with customer service people that when you talk to them like they control the situation and are respectful, courteous, and humble, most of the time they will go out of their way to help you.

indeed. Some folks pride themselves in raising hell with folks they deal with. you only need to do that in the rarest of circumstances if you practice your process.

Good post lewis9378449.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
indeed. Some folks pride themselves in raising hell with folks they deal with. you only need to do that in the rarest of circumstances if you practice your process.

Good post lewis9378449.

Very true. Best to be kind and open to there help always polite. Never step it up if not needed. Having worked retail people that storm in get nothing good.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Mr. Gadget, Thanks for putting me on trial and turning me into an criminal.

If you ever come down to Anson County, shoot me a message and we will try to meet up and swap stories. Heck, I’ll even buy your lunch.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I did not call you names. I have not put you on trial. I also dont think you are a piece of crap.
You are on here, I feel you must be a good person, you hunt and fish, most are.
I just feel you took the easiest path.
I would not have done it, but that is me. Right or wrong. It was just my opinion.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Gadget, Thanks for putting me on trial and turning me into an criminal.

If you ever come down to Anson County, shoot me a message and we will try to meet up and swap stories. Heck, I’ll even buy your lunch. After about an hour you might realize that I might just not be the sorry piece of crap that you have envisioned in your mind. If you wanna look me up, no anonymity here, you can find me on FB. My name is Zac Tarlton.

I think you are overreacting a bit. We all have our own personal code that we live our lives. I had one acquaintance that thought it was cheating a store if you put a false name and address on a grocery store shoppers card application, yet he gets caught for speeding. I'm only going from what is written here but it appears the warranty is for defective from normal wear and tear but not neglect or abuse. I don't think your damages are from intentional abuse but from accidental damage. You're in a gray area. Others can have different viewpoints. Now if you tossed your binos at squirrels eating your corn pile, then that is abuse and a different story. So I'll provide my own personal code. If I accidentally dropped them and they broke, I may return them and see if they would cover it. If I leave them on the roof of my car and bounce down the highway, I would toss them in the trash as an expensive lesson on forgetfulness.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I did not call you names. I have not put you on trial. I also dont think you are a piece of crap.
You are on here, I feel you must be a good person, you hunt and fish, most are.
I just feel you took the easiest path.
I would not have done it, but that is me. Right or wrong. It was just my opinion.

All is well. The offer for lunch still stands.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Now that this seems to have calmed down a little let me ask this, at what point to do you say, "I've gotten my moneys worth out of this, time to buy a new one"....... (item doesn't matter)....

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Depends. If it is a tool or item that i use that is necessary to make a living, once it starts giving problems, it’s gone. I sell, trade, throw that stuff away as down time costs real money.

If it is a vehicle or recreational vehicle, once it gets to the point of finishing returns. I.e. making a monthly payment in repair costs.

Anything else I’ll wear it out then throw away. Will replace when i need it again.

Unless it’s a pair of old binos with a lifetime warranty. ?