Unicoi call makers show

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Well this past weekend was the show and as always it was a great time. Over 70 of the top custom call makers under one roof, and a good number of those are from our great state. Bob Buckner,Fred Cox,Gene Gardner,Jody Harrison just to name a few. It's an awesome experience to be around that much turkey history for a couple of days. Mr. Billy Buice was celebrating his 50th year making calls. Throw in all the attendees that share the same passion for these birds and it makes for a great weekend that is always the kickoff for the best time of year for me. I didn't come home with alot of calls,but what I did come home with are special. I've always wanted a fiddle box from Marlin Watkins and finally pulled the trigger on one. This beauty is Macassar over Perssimmon and it runs even better than it looks. I also got an all Delrin adjustable trumpet from Mr. Gene Gardner that is a screamer for sure. For any of you on the fence about attending this show, you owe it to yourself to be there.
a2c73f6ece33b89379d3c5d42e80f445.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Really hoping to have a fiddle box soon! Awesome looking and sounding box for sure! Did he have any Bloodwood/apple boxes? Sounds like a great time.

Last edited:

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Where and when was the show? Can't believe I've never heard about it.
It's always the second weekend in January at unicoi state park in Helen Georgia. At one time it was the longest running custom call makers show in the country. It used to coincide with the Georgia State NWTF banquet that was held annually at unicoi. When the NWTF decided to change the location of their banquet to a more centrally located area in Georgia the call maker part of it suffered. My friends Mark Sharpe and Russell Beard resurrected the show 3 years ago bringing it back to unicoi. It really is a great time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk