processing

Wondering what you guys think about this. I shot a 4.5 yr old buck last day of season, weighed around 150 and took him to a well know processor in the shelby area. I ordered steaks and roast with all the trimmings in bacon burger. When I went to pick up, everything was in 2 boxes that 1 person can easily carry with 1 trip. I had 3 lbs of loin, 1 lb. of sweet meat, 4 lbs of roast, and 30lbs. of bacon burger. It is odd to me that I only got 3 packs of loin off this deer and 4 packs of roast, I was expecting a lot more than that. Also on a deer this size I normally get 2 bigger boxes slam full, can only carry 1 box at a time. Am I right to question this? What do you think?

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
MO is every deer is different, depending how well he trimmed it and cleaned it up this could be accurate. You are the paying customer so you could question it but don't think you would get anymore meat back. Just my .02

MO is every deer is different, depending how well he trimmed it and cleaned it up this could be accurate. You are the paying customer so you could question it but don't think you would get anymore meat back. Just my .02

Exactly why it wasnt worth my time, Ill just take it to my normal place next time. This place was all hyped up and thought I would give them a try.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
I always figure that I'll get 1/3 weight in meat on a cleanly shot deer. Ie, 50 lbs from 150 lb deer. Of course, if someone, for example, hits a ham, or blow the shoulders out, that only takes away from the 1/3. Then, if I trim all of the "silver skin" and have pure clean meat, that's going to subtract a significantly more weight.
This is doing my own processing. You just don't get as much meat from a deer than most think.

Last edited:
I always figure that I'll get 1/3 weight in meat on a cleanly shot deer. Ie, 50 lbs from 150 lb deer. Of course, if someone, for example, hits a ham, or blow the shoulders out, that only takes away from the 1/3. Then, if I trim all of the "silver skin" and have pure clean meat, that's going to subtract a significantly more weight.
This is doing my own processing. You just don't get as much meat from a deer than most think.

yeah but 3 lbs of loin???

Do you think it's possible your deer got mixed up with someone else's deer?

I have no idea, the place was ran by 20yr old kids from all I could tell. A buddy of mine showed up to pick up 2 deer at the same time and they only had 1 ready which caused him to drive 45 mins twice. The guy in front of me while picking up also got a call saying his was ready but once he paid they said his jerky wasnt ready and he was 40 miles away he said.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
That's why I process my own deer. It's pretty easy actually.

Same here. I want all of my meat. Not potentially some of someone else's. A little time and effort is just as rewarding to me as the kill. But I get it if you don't have the time.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’d rather get 30lbs of quality trimmed meat back than 50lbs of so-so.

I didn’t like deer, other than the straps and loins, until I did my own.

Amazing how well proper butchering and a little satisfaction tastes

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We pricess our own. I shot a 104lb doe this year. The shoulders were ruined and not in the meat count. I put everything into burger except for the sweet meat. Maybe 1lb of inner loin with both pieces. Finished weight before grinding was 24lb. Thats the hams and tenderloins off the back.

The best we have ever done was 47 lbs finished off of a buck of 151 lb hoof weight. That was with an archery deer shot behind the shoulder. No meat loss.

How sure are you of the deer weight? We use a scale and know the hoof weight and finished weight. Ive been fooled by many deer when the scale is used. Heaviest bucks since using the scales have been 151lbs and 156 lbs hoof weight. Heaviest doe has been 107 lbs.

If the deer was shot with a rifle, there is a good chance the shoulders were shot up and possible some of the top loin. Also, we spend a good 2 hours deboning. I doubt many processors are spending that much time. I think you probably have a decent amount of product.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
We pricess our own. I shot a 104lb doe this year. The shoulders were ruined and not in the meat count. I put everything into burger except for the sweet meat. Maybe 1lb of inner loin with both pieces. Finished weight before grinding was 24lb. Thats the hams and tenderloins off the back.

The best we have ever done was 47 lbs finished off of a buck of 151 lb hoof weight. That was with an archery deer shot behind the shoulder. No meat loss.

How sure are you of the deer weight? We use a scale and know the hoof weight and finished weight. Ive been fooled by many deer when the scale is used. Heaviest bucks since using the scales have been 151lbs and 156 lbs hoof weight. Heaviest doe has been 107 lbs.

If the deer was shot with a rifle, there is a good chance the shoulders were shot up and possible some of the top loin. Also, we spend a good 2 hours deboning. I doubt many processors are spending that much time. I think you probably have a decent amount of product.

Also process all our own

I hit my best lick this year on the 9 I killed. 64# boneless. The only thing I trimmed was silverskin from the straps.
The inner tenderloins were as big as the backstraps on a doe fawn.

The last two deer I killed yielded 71# total. 2.5 year old buck and a doe fawn

But to the OP... On a "normal" doe, I'll usually get 30-35# boneless meat
40# for a big doe

1.5 - 2.5 year old buck usually yields 45-50# boneless
Big buck usually 55-60#

I've read over the years you should expect 30-40% Field dressed weight.

_____
But I should also say...I butcher and pack out all my deer where they fall, and haven't weighed one in 15 years. No clue on live weights.

Pretty sure on weight, I was there when caped, deer was shot double lung and hardly any meat loss. I guess is what I am getting at is how does 1 processor get you back 55lbs and another 35lbs.? Thats a big gap for equally sized bucks. I can assure you the loins were in good shape and only 3lbs. I'm not saying they are wrong or I am right but it sure is fishy. They also charge extra for bacon burger, I told them I needed as much roast as I can get to make jerky and just the trimmings in bacon burger and left with 4 packs of roast.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I guess it could do with how much effort your processors goes to when taking the meat off. Do they only take the large roasts from the ham? Do they take all the meat from the neck and shanks? It's easy to take all the prime cuts out and toss the rest. The effort to get the rest of the meat may not be worth their time, after all they make money on volume and efficiency. One of the many reasons I process my own.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pretty sure on weight, I was there when caped, deer was shot double lung and hardly any meat loss. I guess is what I am getting at is how does 1 processor get you back 55lbs and another 35lbs.? Thats a big gap for equally sized bucks. I can assure you the loins were in good shape and only 3lbs. I'm not saying they are wrong or I am right but it sure is fishy. They also charge extra for bacon burger, I told them I needed as much roast as I can get to make jerky and just the trimmings in bacon burger and left with 4 packs of roast.

I was just asking if it was a scale weight or a visual weight.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also process all our own

I hit my best lick this year on the 9 I killed. 64# boneless. The only thing I trimmed was silverskin from the straps.
The inner tenderloins were as big as the backstraps on a doe fawn.

The last two deer I killed yielded 71# total. 2.5 year old buck and a doe fawn

But to the OP... On a "normal" doe, I'll usually get 30-35# boneless meat
40# for a big doe

1.5 - 2.5 year old buck usually yields 45-50# boneless
Big buck usually 55-60#

I've read over the years you should expect 30-40% Field dressed weight.

_____
But I should also say...I butcher and pack out all my deer where they fall, and haven't weighed one in 15 years. No clue on live weights.

Are you trimming between the ribs? That boneless weight is just deer and no filler? If so, those are healthy. Mountain deer by any chance?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Are you trimming between the ribs? That boneless weight is just deer and no filler? If so, those are healthy. Mountain deer by any chance?

Yes, all mountain deer. Killed a "grown" doe at a buddy's place in Cleveland county last year and only got 27# of boneless off her. Whole lot more off mtn deer. I've gotten more meat off 2-3 year old does from the mountains than a 4 year old buck I killed in Uwharrie's

Boneless weights listed. I get the normal stuff, plus neck meat, brisket meat under shoulder blade, skirt steaks off the ribs, as much rib meat as I can salvage, and all ham shanks. Any red meat that's worth going into grinder goes with me.
Also keep heart and liver as able so that adds a little bit of weight.

Not much left on any of my carcasses except skin, bone, and guts/lungs.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, all mountain deer. Killed a "grown" doe at a buddy's place in Cleveland county last year and only got 27# of boneless off her. Whole lot more off mtn deer. I've gotten more meat off 2-3 year old does from the mountains than a 4 year old buck I killed in Uwharrie's

Boneless weights listed. I get the normal stuff, plus neck meat, brisket meat under shoulder blade, skirt steaks off the ribs, as much rib meat as I can salvage, and all ham shanks. Any red meat that's worth going into grinder goes with me.
Also keep heart and liver as able so that adds a little bit of weight.

Not much left on any of my carcasses except skin, bone, and guts/lungs.

10-4. Im with you on all that. Seems like we are speaking about the same language.