I'm not the only one ready for spring,,,,,,

rodman

Ten Pointer
I took some firewood to a friend's aunt this afternoon that had 2 gobblers and a hen in a pen that gobbled the whole time we unloaded the wood. Well worth the effort

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I heard my first dove doing the love call yesterday.

Also, the big maples in that warm spot in Garner are starting to bloom.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
it is going to be one more fine spring in NC this year for killing turkeys.

you boys with birds will have to try hard to get past the first week without tagging out.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Lets hope so old school

as many as i heard the last time i hunted turkey heaven (rock county) you should be in fine shape up there and you have showed bunches of pics of the home rafter.

unless you are just going to drag it out or dont hunt on Sunday, you'll be done the first weekend.

Good Luck Jug Looking forward to your reports.

robertc

Eight Pointer
as many as i heard the last time i hunted turkey heaven (rock county) you should be in fine shape up there and you have showed bunches of pics of the home rafter.

unless you are just going to drag it out or dont hunt on Sunday, you'll be done the first weekend.

Good Luck Jug Looking forward to your reports.
There are no turkeys in Rock County [emoji41]

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Im still waiting to get my first turkey.
I came really close last year on a friends property. The wife and i went on the first Saturday, didnt scout it prior, dumb. Did map scouting and plotted a way in the woods from his drive. Way different in dark, to steep to go in there. We went back up the driveway towards the truck, I hit the call and a turkey started gobbling across the road. It was still dark out but really close to first FL. So we had to hustle to get in the woods. We got in on a draw no more than a hundred yards from the road and he started coming in. We just sat down,leaning up against the trees, I put the wife on 1 tree and about 15 yards away & I was on another one. Well the turkey came in just a gobbling. I heard him he was closed but I never saw him and then he went down into the creek which is pretty rough. Well I could tell that he got farther away so we got up and started tracking him. When talking to the wife she said she saw his head pop up on the other side of a log then he jumped up on the log and over it, she thought I had seen it. She was just there as an observer dang should have got her her license and gave her the shotgun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Im still waiting to get my first turkey.
I came really close last year on a friends property. The wife and i went on the first Saturday, didnt scout it prior, dumb. Did map scouting and plotted a way in the woods from his drive. Way different in dark, to steep to go in there. We went back up the driveway towards the truck, I hit the call and a turkey started gobbling across the road. It was still dark out but really close to first FL. So we had to hustle to get in the woods. We got in on a draw no more than a hundred yards from the road and he started coming in. We just sat down,leaning up against the trees, I put the wife on 1 tree and about 15 yards away & I was on another one. Well the turkey came in just a gobbling. I heard him he was closed but I never saw him and then he went down into the creek which is pretty rough. Well I could tell that he got farther away so we got up and started tracking him. When talking to the wife she said she saw his head pop up on the other side of a log then he jumped up on the log and over it, she thought I had seen it. She was just there as an observer dang should have got her her license and gave her the shotgun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

that's pretty much a given, turkeys expose themselves to a non shooter. one of the few things you can count on.:)

Good Luck this year!

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This year at one of my stands, I saw 9 gobblers almost every time I was there. They roosted in the pines nearby. One gobbler's beard was almost touching the ground. Never really turkey hunted much, but I might get it a whirl this year.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I heard my first dove doing the love call yesterday.

Heard one today and another about a week ago but haven't seen any of the males showing off in the air which usually precedes mating. Also saw a good sized male puff up and run a smaller male away from his lady.

Didn't get to go much last spring but intend to change that this year.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Heard one today and another about a week ago but haven't seen any of the males showing off in the air which usually precedes mating. Also saw a good sized male puff up and run a smaller male away from his lady.

Didn't get to go much last spring but intend to change that this year.

dang doves are cooing up a storm here in my longleafs,,,,dozen at least,,,,should be a banner year next year!!

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The dove that nested in front of my house last year looks like she is already sitting on the nest this morning. This pair was very prolific last year. They had young out of the nest by April 10 and were still raising by the start of dove season.

Last edited: