Blinding Squirrels

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Stuck one of my ground blinds by the corn piles where the squirrels were wearing them out. Got in the blind about 3pm with the Remington .22 and kicked back to wait. Wasn't to long before some action in the trees. Saw one squirrel and got ready for him, then there were 2, picked out one and took him out of the gene pool. Had good steady action all afternoon.

Got ready to shoot one and looked up there stood a deer. Then 3 deer at the gravity feeder. Squirrels and deer about 20 yards. Ground blind was working good. :D I waited for a little while and watched the deer then decided it was time to take another squirrel out.

Ended up with 5 squirrels and saw twice that many. Check the one on the far right..or bottom depending on how this loads, looks like he spent a lot of time sitting on the corn pile.
70bcec1de560ede6499f6e205f782972.jpg

Last edited:

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
Dang right he did! He’s a porker! A wonder the 22 lr was enough for him. Sounds like a fun sniping mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I take my supressed .22 to the stand sometimes. Squirrels provide a lot of fun at the corn pile - and with the suppressor the only noise is the empty shell falling to the bottom of stand.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Shooting did not seem to bother the squirrels to much. If I shot and missed they ran around and right back to the corn. The deer hauled buggy when I shot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Great way to bag a mess of squirrel and a fun way to watch nature when everything comes together. We used to have a contest after deer season where everybody put $5 into a bucket headed out to squirrel hunt...the first to limit out or the one with the most squirrels by noon won the pot. I would take my Marlin 17 VSS (now the XT-17VSL) with a 4x20 scope to a long shooting lane that we had corned up about 100 yards from the tower stand. Taking nothing but head shots it wasn't uncommon for me to limit out with my 8 limb rats in an hour or less and be back at the clubhouse cooking breakfast and counting my money.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
Yes, mine and a buddys land (50 acres) that joins mine. Just curious, why the private land part...??
Lol i was kinda thinking the same thing.. Always that one person who digs for dought. Congrats on a great day killin some tree rats.. Im ready to go snipe a few myself this weekend

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
. Always that one person who digs for dought.

Not hardly, would have PM'd him, had he been in the wrong, to gently educate.
You'd be surprised how many folks, on ALL forums, publicly post illegal activity...just because they are new in NC or new to small game or whatever.

Looks like a great hunt to me!

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
That last one definitely trophy sized. Just wondering if it might have been pregnant. Not sure what their "fawning" season is but I'm thinking about now. LOL.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Not hardly, would have PM'd him, had he been in the wrong, to gently educate.
You'd be surprised how many folks, on ALL forums, publicly post illegal activity...just because they are new in NC or new to small game or whatever.

Looks like a great hunt to me!

Dont think Hobbs need educating on anything Hunting or fishing.

BWstickman

Button Buck
Stuck one of my ground blinds by the corn piles where the squirrels were wearing them out. Got in the blind about 3pm with the Remington .22 and kicked back to wait. Wasn't to long before some action in the trees. Saw one squirrel and got ready for him, then there were 2, picked out one and took him out of the gene pool. Had good steady action all afternoon.

Got ready to shoot one and looked up there stood a deer. Then 3 deer at the gravity feeder. Squirrels and deer about 20 yards. Ground blind was working good. :D I waited for a little while and watched the deer then decided it was time to take another squirrel out.

Ended up with 5 squirrels and saw twice that many. Check the one on the far right..or bottom depending on how this loads, looks like he spent a lot of time sitting on the corn pile.
70bcec1de560ede6499f6e205f782972.jpg

OMG I seen that and busted out laughing!!! That dude was "gettin his"lol