1/13 Live from the stand

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Well not really stand. 20 mph winds so going to still hunt a real rugged ridge with some breathtaking 1500' drops. There is a large chunk of Park land that is almost inaccessible unless you have property that abuts it. I found a 30' Utility easement saving me a 10 mile walk to a road that accesses it. Going to scoot the edge where I kicked out deer and a bear this summer. The bears were still active in the cold last week but hope they sleep in today. Never been a Still Hunter but grew up with some of the best in the NE so maybe it's in the genes. I get around for a Gimp but not always quietly. The rain stopped, snows melted so quiet walking. Snow showers to start at Sunrise. Last day to get it done and would love to with the Flintlock/PRB. Good luck anyone trying late season. It's been a rough patch of weather.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Stopped to catch my breath. If this dead ends I have to turn back. That would stink.

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 201

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I like that flintlock, good luck today. Me and the dog made it out for a wood duck hunt this morning, so glad the ice is gone!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Just had Wife pick me up. My GPS is on my phone which has the IPhone battery issue apparently. I didn't know where the access path was so I had to climb half way down to the Gorge then side hill for about 4 hours straight. Gun has some dents and dings from fighting to not fall of cliffs while traversing the Laurel/Rhododendron thickets. If I wasn't climbing I was crawling. Regrouping and either climbing falls or hunting our peninsula. Kicked out a bobcat and a fisher. Saw deer but the crossed into private. Beautiful views along the ledges even with snow and 30 mph winds but only managed 1 pic before camera shutdown.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Unless you own a handful of properties that allow access this is no easy task to reach.
Had the Flintlock in the pic but it didn't show and phone shut off right after pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpg
    IMG_2820.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Really wish I had a cam. Walking the ridge line with all the rocky outcrops was beautiful (and cold in the wind). My favorite time of year when the leaves are down. I could easily spot game across the Gorge. The ascent is nothing but thickets and loose rock under them making Access tough. The trip is definitely more of the adventure.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Lying in front of a set of full height windows with the sun shining, under the coal furnace, with my 3 year old Daughter lying on my chest. Really hard to shake the tired out of my muscles and go back out in the 20+mph wind gusts. Last day and this will be the second year of no venison. Last year I never made it out except the ill fated trip to SC for Gators. I can handle the cold. It's the wind that makes it tough. Going t have to track them over the ledges into the laurel thickets and hope to kick them out. Then try and shoot one with the Flintlock. I'm going to say 5% chance if that. 5% of course I will be out there😁

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Beautiful area..I figured you would be wrapped up in snow and ice

It was snow and freezing rain. After yesterday's warm up it's a sheet of ice. Thankfully, the rocks here are really unique and have quarts bumps everywhere providing great traction. Plus I avoid the very edge of the ledges if I can because with sun exposure they've melted and refrozen to solid Ice and 1500' is a long fall.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Tag soup, first time in almost 20 years(except last season but I never had a chance to buy a license) I knew with the wind they wouldn't move so I circled our peninsula twice sidehilling through the Laurels. Then tried beat feeting it to the lowest edge. I didn't have time to find my spot so I sat against a boulder watching where three game trails converged. I was treated to a show over my left shoulder of the Resident buck at 75 yds. Oh well had a blast for my first season. Odd thing, this buck circles the whole peninsula. I followed some rubs miles today and when they disappeared about 100 yards away on a hairy cliff edge they would start again. He also hasn't dropped yet. He'all be hard to pin down next season maybe. He might move right in where the 130+ was killed. His new rubs where up that way. Dogs going nuts now. When I saw him he was crossing into our Neighborhood. Bet he's tearing up the Thanksgiving pumpkins and hay bails I tossed out there.