New Garmin Sight...

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2018/01/11/garmin-xero-rangefinding-bow-sight/
Can't wait to play with one of these...

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I love the concept but the price tag spooked me i will admit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I love the concept but the price tag spooked me i will admit.

Ditto... was really interested and then got to the price and shuddered. Guess when you compare it to some of my gear/optics for long range shooting it ain't that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I'll admit the price is not cheap!!! With that said, this thing is more than just a sight, it's a built in training tool. It's ability to track your bows positioning at the shot, will help shooters with wayward shots while practicing. I'm of the belief that most shooters could benefit from some actual instant reasoning behind poor shooting days and better understand how proper form is more important to accuracy than high volume shooting that just reinforces bad habits. I'm very excited

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I like it. I put a new sight on my bow last summer, but I am thinking I might give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender

Twelve Pointer
A few things what if the batteries die? They are probably a proprietary battery that's hard to get. Probably weighs 2-3 times a normal sight.
Interesting technology but I wouldn't want one on my bow. To much can go wrong that I can't control.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
For 1000$ I hope nothing would go wrong. I'm sure a lot of R&D went into it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I can totally understand ones trepidation regarding the sight. Having ran/owned an archery shop for 8yrs and having been around archery for the last 30+ yrs, including ASA/IBO/NABH professional, I've seen a great deal of issues that have and can go wrong with ones equipment. Sight failure ranks at the bottom of actual problems for what I've seen and if it truly were a sight issue, broken fiber optic pins were without a doubt the biggest culprit. I've been using fiber optic pins since they came out and I've never personally broken one myself so that fear hasn't ranked very high for me. The weight issue is not really a concern for me as the sight weights around the 14oz range which is comparable to say a Spot Hogg Hoggfather or Fast Eddie so to me that point is moot as I will weight my bow accordingly to offset if needed. The battery issue is a real issue and one I will take serious. The battery life with AAA lithiums is rated at 1yr. So my process will possibly look like this, install batteries for summer practice and then replace the week leading up to my first hunt and then change once during the season, while keeping an extra set in my pack just in case. I kinda do the same thing with my trail cams, rangefinders and flash lights now. Im personally more fearful of my bow malfunctioning, string settling/stretching (causing bad tune), rest malfunctioning(I'm using QAD and I've seen the internal parts break and rest not cocking) vs any other thing, including this sights possible issues. As with any mechanical or electronic component failure is a possibility, I'm willing to take that chance with this sight, just as I am willing to carry a bow around that could break at any moment without any advance notice. For those reasons I always have a backup bow to go to and it want have a Garmin sight on it 😉

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A few things what if the batteries die? They are probably a proprietary battery that's hard to get. Probably weighs 2-3 times a normal sight.
Interesting technology but I wouldn't want one on my bow. To much can go wrong that I can't control.

From the intel I got the site weighs 14.7 ounces and runs off 2 AAA Lithiums with an estimated 1 year battery life. Yes, that information shocked me too.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
and the way I see it is I range most every shot anyway so by the time I pay $300 for an Axcel sight and $400 for my leupold rangefinder I can get this sight and trim down one piece of gear I have to tote in and use.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I guess to each his own. Still feel that to much can happen the more complicated it gets. I know many states will not allow this site especially out west, It will be interesting to see where it goes on a state by state bases.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I guess to each his own. Still feel that to much can happen the more complicated it gets. I know many states will not allow this site especially out west, It will be interesting to see where it goes on a state by state bases.

Several states have regulations that do not allow electronic devices attached to archery equipment. Those same states allow an electronic range finders around your neck. It is basically the same thing, just attached to the bow. I realize the sight has a ton of other features and that makes it different. I see both sides of the spectrum. I like the fact that a guy could get to full draw and then range the target. That is a huge plus for rutting bucks that rarely stand still. Known yardage would definately help me put an arrow where it needs to be and reduce wounding and yardage "guestimation".

And I do agree that there is a very good chance of failure on the electronics side. Murphy's law is real. :)

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
This sight isn't for everyone, just as Rage broadheads, Mathews bows, Easton arrows are not used by everyone. I'm of the belief that those Western states will come to the realization that this sight does nothing magical and that's not already allowed and allow its use. I'm right there with you guys on my reservation regarding it failing from an electronic standpoint but as with everything you must have a backup plan and I think I have one laid out for that circumstance. I can honestly say I take bow hunting a serious as anyone I know and if this thing is not all it's cracked up to be, I will surely be on here and other platforms screaming it to the top of my lungs so that no one else makes the mistake. I see this sight as the greatest archery advancement since the rangefinder was introduced to the masses for bow hunting.

willb

Eight Pointer
everything is built different but i havent seen many digital screens hold up in extreme cold very well. we dont have too many extreme cold days during hunting season here but something to think about.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I absolutely love this but I cant justify putting an $800 sight on a $500 bow.........I'd feel like those kids with a hoopty sitting on 2 thousand dollar rims.

I guess, like most things, I just need to wait for the price to drop. Great idea though.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I absolutely love this but I cant justify putting an $800 sight on a $500 bow.........I'd feel like those kids with a hoopty sitting on 2 thousand dollar rims.

I guess, like most things, I just need to wait for the price to drop. Great idea though.
People do it all the time with quality rifle scopes. Heck ive got a $300 rifle wearing a $1200 scope now that i think about it.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
everything is built different but i havent seen many digital screens hold up in extreme cold very well. we dont have too many extreme cold days during hunting season here but something to think about.
Pretty reputable guy on archerytalk has tested it to -10 and in the rain and claims no issues.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
So rain is not a issue on the lens? What about condensation? I find that hard to believe. There are many mornings I hunt where condensation would be a issue. Glare from the lens can be a issue as well. I do a bunch of film and encounter these issues quite often. I know that some will say the lens is antiglare. I haven't seen a anti glare screen of any type that lives up to its "antiglare" mantra. I think it would be great at the range or a controlled environment or if you are a fair weather hunter. Way to many negative variables.

I shot tournaments for many years using a lens type sight. I never used one that I didnt have to stay on top of to keep clean and keep covered when I wasnt shooting it or if the weather wasnt perfect.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
So rain is not a issue on the lens? What about condensation? I find that hard to believe. There are many mornings I hunt where condensation would be a issue. Glare from the lens can be a issue as well. I do a bunch of film and encounter these issues quite often. I know that some will say the lens is antiglare. I haven't seen a anti glare screen of any type that lives up to its "antiglare" mantra. I think it would be great at the range or a controlled environment or if you are a fair weather hunter. Way to many negative variables.

I shot tournaments for many years using a lens type sight. I never used one that I didnt have to stay on top of to keep clean and keep covered when I wasnt shooting it or if the weather wasnt perfect.

I have some of the finest optics money can buy. Rain, snow and condensation are always an issue. I expect no different with this sight.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
People do it all the time with quality rifle scopes. Heck ive got a $300 rifle wearing a $1200 scope now that i think about it.

Fair point but I cant do it at that price...and scopes are more critical on guns than sights on bows, IMO, just because of the proximity. Plus, if I were going to spend 800-1k on archery/hunting I have a few other things I would get.

That said, this sight would solve an issue for me. I have a range finder, but I never really use it on live target. I get too worried about minimizing movement, or I just forget in all the excitement, so I really only use my rangefinder to 'pre-range' some trees in shooting range so I know about how far to shoot if a deer walks in front of that tree. This sight would allow me to actually range a live animal without the extra step of using the range finder, which is obviously its intended purpose. That is helpful, but not 1000$ helpful.....at least not to me.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Awesome piece of technology. Its amazing what great minds can create. Price point is just out of my range. I have a $50 sliding sight and a great Nikon Rangefinder I bought off archery talk for $75. Not quite as advanced, but just as effective.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
I can totally understand ones trepidation regarding the sight. Having ran/owned an archery shop for 8yrs and having been around archery for the last 30+ yrs, including ASA/IBO/NABH professional, I've seen a great deal of issues that have and can go wrong with ones equipment. Sight failure ranks at the bottom of actual problems for what I've seen and if it truly were a sight issue, broken fiber optic pins were without a doubt the biggest culprit. I've been using fiber optic pins since they came out and I've never personally broken one myself so that fear hasn't ranked very high for me. The weight issue is not really a concern for me as the sight weights around the 14oz range which is comparable to say a Spot Hogg Hoggfather or Fast Eddie so to me that point is moot as I will weight my bow accordingly to offset if needed. The battery issue is a real issue and one I will take serious. The battery life with AAA lithiums is rated at 1yr. So my process will possibly look like this, install batteries for summer practice and then replace the week leading up to my first hunt and then change once during the season, while keeping an extra set in my pack just in case. I kinda do the same thing with my trail cams, rangefinders and flash lights now. Im personally more fearful of my bow malfunctioning, string settling/stretching (causing bad tune), rest malfunctioning(I'm using QAD and I've seen the internal parts break and rest not cocking) vs any other thing, including this sights possible issues. As with any mechanical or electronic component failure is a possibility, I'm willing to take that chance with this sight, just as I am willing to carry a bow around that could break at any moment without any advance notice. For those reasons I always have a backup bow to go to and it want have a Garmin sight on it 😉

Sight falls back to a fixed pin sight when the battery gets low, however there's a battery meter on the unit.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns

Sight window is designed to be fog and streak resistant, but keeping it clean should be helpful. Just as someone keeps their scope glass, binos, etc clean...same should be done here.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns

Already legal in 41 states.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have had lots of optics that state the same thing. Guess what none of them are fog, ice, streak, water, etc resistant.
Sight window is designed to be fog and streak resistant, but keeping it clean should be helpful. Just as someone keeps their scope glass, binos, etc clean...same should be done here.