WHo gets a flu shot, or doesn't?

What is your take on Flu Shots?

• I get one every year!

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • I get one now and then, if I feel it will help me that season.

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • I haven't really thought about getting one.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have thought about getting one, but never gotten one

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have never, nor do I ever plan to get one!

Votes: 38 34.2%

• Total voters

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I had the flu once, 25 years ago. I can't take Tylenol so it is hard to combat a 104 fever, which raged for days until and ice bath at the ER. It took me six months to get my strength back. I get the shot every year. Have not had the flu since. I am a fiend about hand washing. I know its not always effective against that year's strain, but it can lessen the severity if you get the flu. I don't see a downside for me.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I find that avoiding other people is the best way to prevent getting the flu and a host of other diseases as well. ;-)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I try to avoid people also. No malls, Church not every Sunday, I also as spoken open swinging out doors way up high. Like others, I take Emergen C if I hear my wife sneeze.

And nana, I have also been forced into the ER to take an ice bath after hitting 106. It's diffucult, when you have a hot ER nurse, checking on you in a pool of ice, that if she date you outside the pool of ice, she'd be very impressed. A 106 fever will do that to some I reckon.

I don't plan on getting the flu shot in my lifetime, but I'm not against it. I imagine if I get the full on flu once in my adult years, I'd sign up every year afterwards. Tin foil hat be gone!

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nope. Not going to allow anyone to precondition me to be injected with anything. Too much of a governmental conspiracy theorist.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Nope. Not going to allow anyone to precondition me to be injected with anything. Too much of a governmental conspiracy theorist.

Having said that, don't you know some folks who's job requires them to get it every year? If so, any difference in the sickliness or healthiness of each of y'all?

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Got them while in the Army for 20 years and gotten them the past 25 since I retired. Have not had the flu or anything of that nature. I get my shots as soon as they come out at my doctors office.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
Having said that, don't you know some folks who's job requires them to get it every year? If so, any difference in the sickliness or healthiness of each of y'all?

I work at a hospital and we are “required” to get the shot. If we decline and then get a case of the flu our insurance will not cover any of the bills accrued.

I’ve gotten the shot for 22 years without problems.... knocking on wood now

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Yep. Connie, Hayley and Lindsay each "have" to take it. Guess who is the only ones not with flu like symptoms. Yep, Matt and me. Of course, being nurses, they are greeted with every possibility to get something.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
As a Health Care Provider, I am required to get an Influenza Vaccination every year..... If I may, I'd like to dispel an unfortunate rumor that is repeated on a regular basis. You CAN NOT get the Flu from a Flu shot! Prior to the 1980's Flu shots were cultured from LIVE virus, and it was not unusual for patients to experience some flu like symptoms for a day or two.. Now, they are synthesized in a lab from KILLED virus and are no more likely to cause flu symptoms than a shot of Penicillin.... Adults who choose not to get their yearly flu vaccine are not only risking an illness than can be fatal. Moreover, you are passing that risk on to your friends, family and co workers. This years strain has been particularly devastating and has resulted in multiple deaths and severe morbidity.....

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Card carrying member of the NC Medical Society Joe, and seriously doubt the voracity of the claims of these "Four Physicians"..... Guess they shut their offices down when the entire staff becomes infected and unable to care for patients.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Never gotten the flu shot or the flu (knock on wood) Seems like most years it’s minimally effective anyway. I hear of lots of people being under the weather after the shot.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I never get one nor do I ever plan on it. Just never quite made sense to me. Your basically giving yourself a small dose of the virus in order to not get the virus...... yeah, no thanks.

Yeah.....that’s basically how your body works. Antibodies and such. Are you anti vaccine also? Just curious.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They are free everywhere I go, it seems, but I do not plan to ever get one. I don't think they put tracking devices in them, but most I know who get the shot, end up sick for a few days. :confused: WTH?

People that get them likes have had the flu before, and as such, likely have slightly weaker immune systems, meaning they’re naturally susceptible to being sick more often than those who likely refuse and don’t see a reason, and as a result, probably purely coincidental that they’re sick after a shot. Theyd likely have come down with something anyway.

That’s my theory anyway ??:donk♂️

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I gues I'm a slow learner. I have taken the flu shot every year since before dirt was invented, keep in mind that the military required flu shots by all personnel years and years ago, mandatory no if ands or buts. I always get the shot as soon as they start harping about taking the shot, at least two months prior to the flu season. You can tell me that the vaccine is dead but more times than not I do get the damn flu. Thank God I got the shot because as bad as the flu affects me I think I would not have survived if that flu shot hadn't made it less severe. ??????? And on top of that far to many times I end up with pneumonia at the tail end of surviving the flu. I guess I'll keep taking the flu shot just to insure that it MAKES THE FLU LESS SEVERE. But it sure does give one pause for thoughtr.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Get it every year. Being around 800+ middle school kids 5 out 7 days a week and two little ones at home makes it an easy decision. I won’t comment on being sick, too superstitious. I would like to know if anyone has info on the percent of ppl who have died from the flu whom didn’t get the shot, and how many have died that did get the shot.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll wait until they come out with vaccines that actually work against the flu more than 30% of the time.