Broad heads for turkey

I asked this question on a Facebook forum but I forget what was recommended and I probably don't have a good chance of finding the thread.

I'm looking for a good turkey broad head. Something to pop the head off.

What's good?

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
If your going to try the bullheads make dang sure you bow is tuned correctly. If you arent that into bows that you have tuned your equipment/know how you might have a little trouble. I haven't tried the 125 grain bullheads but my understanding is they are much more difficult to make fly correctly when compared to the 100 grain heads. I have used the 100 grain heads with a very tuned bow and they flew fantastic.

Cool. Thanks guys.

Now would I be able to just put the 100gr heads on the arrows I use for deer? I can hit a 2” mark on my block at 20 yards no sweat. But of course this is with field tips and a couple heads I sacrificed to practice with during deer season.

I understand it’s a larger fixed broad...for obvious reasons. But I would rather not have to spend more money buying “special” shafts (suggested on a couple reviews I saw).

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Cool. Thanks guys.

Now would I be able to just put the 100gr heads on the arrows I use for deer? I can hit a 2” mark on my block at 20 yards no sweat. But of course this is with field tips and a couple heads I sacrificed to practice with during deer season.

I understand it’s a larger fixed broad...for obvious reasons. But I would rather not have to spend more money buying “special” shafts (suggested on a couple reviews I saw).

Unless you shoot abnormally longer arrows, you will need longer and stiffer arrows to shoot Bullheads. Just buy the kit from Magnus that includes the arrows and Bullheads.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Cool. Thanks guys.

smitty gave great advice.... You gotta have that bow tuned perfect, and you gotta have dead-on shooting form too, without any torque.
I know a few guys who drooled over killing birds with the bullheads, but ended with a lot of misses and worse, body shots, broken wings, and lost birds.

I didn't take the bait. I use muzzy 3-blades and drop the poundage down to 60#. Aim for the spot straight in from the beard, and straight up the leg. Center mass and I've never had one get away.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
smitty gave great advice.... You gotta have that bow tuned perfect, and you gotta have dead-on shooting form too, without any torque.
I know a few guys who drooled over killing birds with the bullheads, but ended with a lot of misses and worse, body shots, broken wings, and lost birds.

I didn't take the bait. I use muzzy 3-blades and drop the poundage down to 60#. Aim for the spot straight in from the beard, and straight up the leg. Center mass and I've never had one get away.

It does take a certain level of competence in bow tuning and shooting form, but it isn't that hard IMO. There are plenty of guys wounding birds with shotguns and bows. That is just how it is unfortunately.

If you can tune a bow to shoot 3 blade muzzy's to a 5-6" group at 30 yards, you can kill birds with Bullheads inside 18 yards. My 15 year old son did it on his first try and he isn't exactly laser precise at 30 yards with field points.

I can promise you one thing. If you take the time to learn to tune/shoot Bullheads, you will be a much better archer/killer in the long run.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I am no expert on broadheads for Turkey but I would shoot what you are confident with. I thought about switching but ended up using the same broadheads for deer and elk. Shot my first with a bow and he just collapsed when the arrow went through him. I shoot 125 grain Slicktrick broadheads.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I am no expert on broadheads for Turkey but I would shoot what you are confident with. I thought about switching but ended up using the same broadheads for deer and elk. Shot my first with a bow and he just collapsed when the arrow went through him. I shoot 125 grain Slicktrick broadheads.
My .02
I am a big fan of Slick Trick broadheads and second this.^^^^^^^^^
That said, any really sharp [this is essential] cut on contact head will work.
The big heads, IMO, have to be shot near perfectly to perform well and have to hit the neck/head. This takes them out for me since after 40 years of chasing turkey birds, lots of things can AND will happen when a gobbler is in your face.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I didn't take a chance shooting the head!! I made a decision to center punch mine.
My .02
I am a big fan of Slick Trick broadheads and second this.^^^^^^^^^
That said, any really sharp [this is essential] cut on contact head will work.
The big heads, IMO, have to be shot near perfectly to perform well and have to hit the neck/head. This takes them out for me since after 40 years of chasing turkey birds, lots of things can AND will happen when a gobbler is in your face.

Its a bit long but thought I would share it.
[video=youtube;RXrTEXqjJg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXrTEXqjJg0[/video]

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Looked like a Slick trick BH to me. They will kill'em if you center punch'em.
Long shot too, nice work there.