VA bill to require a license to use a dog to track/retrieve a shot deer or bear.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm kind of glad to not have a lease up there anymore. The rules are convoluted and they charge a fee for everything.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
My dog, I'll use it anyway I see fit.... Does my truck need a special license to haul such an animal also??
What's that saying??? Oh yea, Kiss my grits!!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds to me they are trying to regulate folks offering tracking dog services??

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been wondering if this was going to happen with using tracking dogs for wounded deer.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind it, other than a new revenue source. My guesses are:

(A), Some people who are otherwise non-hunters and don't have hunting licenses train their dogs to find deer and offer their services to hunters.

(B), There's a growing trend of people charging a fee for their recovery service. I've been wondering if the state might start regulating that and requiring trackers who charge for their service to be licensed.

Either way, thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to pass this on to the United Blood Trackers Association, they like to keep up-to-date on things like this.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Will I need to special license to walk my dog on my land and the dog accidentally finds a deer I shot several hours previously but couldn't find? Do I have to keep my dog on a leash on my own property? And I pity the Game Warden that issues a citation for someone violating this law. He will be the laughing stock of the county. This law is beyond stupid.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
yep, so stupid that it is bound to pass.
Will I need to special license to walk my dog on my land and the dog accidentally finds a deer I shot several hours previously but couldn't find? Do I have to keep my dog on a leash on my own property? And I pity the Game Warden that issues a citation for someone violating this law. He will be the laughing stock of the county. This law is beyond stupid.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
The problem here is ... VA is being taken over by the swath of idgits from Fairfax County down to Richmond and the counties around UVA.

Last edited:

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
If I'm not mistaken, that is the law here in NC as well, You need a license to participate in any part of the hunt, including dragging and hauling

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm not mistaken, that is the law here in NC as well, You need a license to participate in any part of the hunt, including dragging and hauling

This bill would require a special license to track wounded deer or bear.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I re-read that VA proposal again, and section 1B states that a tracker may carry a firearm for the purpose of dispatching a wounded deer, while section 2 talks about "creating regulations governing tracking deer with dogs in a safe manner."

That could be the answer to why they are considering doing this.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
2. That the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries shall adopt regulations pertaining to the license to find a wounded or dead bear or deer with tracking dogs and regulations for the safe practice of tracking with dogs maintained and controlled on a lead.

I could see this if someone wanted to be certified with the state, passing a proficiency/safety course. I don't really see how a license is going to all of a sudden make tracking with a dog a safe practice. Never really heard of any accidents happening while tracking. I know we always limit the tracking party to one weapon, which is not loaded until we need it. Right now I don't know if I have a dog that will track, but over the years people I have hunted with have had dogs that would blood trail. Working a dog on a leash in a thick cover can be tough.

Side Note: A friend had a bluetick beagle named Daisy. She would bay when see found the dead or wounded game. I would love to see another one like her come along.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2. That the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries shall adopt regulations pertaining to the license to find a wounded or dead bear or deer with tracking dogs and regulations for the safe practice of tracking with dogs maintained and controlled on a lead.

I could see this if someone wanted to be certified with the state, passing a proficiency/safety course. I don't really see how a license is going to all of a sudden make tracking with a dog a safe practice. Never really heard of any accidents happening while tracking. I know we always limit the tracking party to one weapon, which is not loaded until we need it. Right now I don't know if I have a dog that will track, but over the years people I have hunted with have had dogs that would blood trail. Working a dog on a leash in a thick cover can be tough.

Side Note: A friend had a bluetick beagle named Daisy. She would bay when see found the dead or wounded game. I would love to see another one like her come along.

Probably where this is headed, maybe something along the lines of the Hunter Safety Course?

I could see a reason to license somebody if they were doing it as a commercial enterprise, and requiring the tracker to prove they had a basic proficiency. Otherwise, it would be easy to claim any old mutt was a "tracker", charge some hunter $100 fee for tracking his deer, with no intention of finding it at all.

As a side note, the United Blood Trackers organization has a certification program with three different levels of proficiency and runs tests for people who want to be certified. My dog was certified at the basic level a few years ago, and I know Kirk Vaughn in Chapel Hill, (whose known to several members here), has certified his dog at the advanced level.

And DRS, you are absolutely right about working in thick cover! If I have another tracking dog, its going to be something with shorter legs! Last season I got completely torn-up being dragged through an old cutover full of blackberry canes. Got myself some long-sleeved bee keeper gloves after that.........