RE:What Calibers Do You Use To Deer Hunt Besides The More Popular One's?

DevilDog

Spike
12GA - When hunting with dogs.
.40S&W - When they get close
.300BLK - Used 95% of the time...most shots are less then 100 yards.
.270 - My do it all caliber.

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
30-30 most of the time
20ga slug 2nd spot because of urban area.
280 remington for long shot but haven't used in 4-5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have used a bunch of oddball cartridges over the years. Having a Dad that is a bit of an oddball cartridge collector, it came naturally.

A few of the more oddball ones are

.401 Win SL
351 Win SL
.405 Win
.300 Ashehurst
.470 Nitro Express
.240 Gibbs
8mm/.350

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

scope422

Button Buck
Ruger M77 - 7x57. Same rifle I shot my 1st deer with over 35 years ago, still my favorite to this day.

Anyone hunting with a Marlin 45-70 sbl? I love the caliber, and the look of that gun is [emoji41]

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone hunting with a Marlin 45-70 sbl? I love the caliber, and the look of that gun is [emoji41]

Not a Marlin, but I hunt with a 45/70. It is Thor's Hammer. I handload 300 gr hp's to 2000 fps. I had them at 2100 fps but the recoil was brutal. Yes 100 fps makes a difference ;)

Last edited:

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
56-50 in the Spencer Lever gun. One day I will build a 50-70 high wall for poops and giggles.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nah, black powder loads only softens the recoil (or at least spreads it out slightly.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Nah, black powder loads only softens the recoil (or at least spreads it out slightly.

Ahh ok, I was a genius manly man once and tried a buddies 600 nitro express in a light safari style rifle. There is not enough hate for any critter on this earth to make me wanna get on that ride again, was a week before I could use my arm normally

I've really gotten to like the .280Rem. An older gentleman gave it to me at church a few years ago and even though the ammo is more expensive than my 30-06,I've taken a liking to it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hopefully I’ll be adding .404 Jeffrey to my “oddball” list soon! Found a Ruger No 1-H Tropical for a fair deal. I’ll be trying to “blood” it this fall.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use my Grandpa's 30-06 that he handed down to me a few years ago. Also use my mom's .243 that I shot my first hog with. It was her favorite rifle and one of the few things I downright requested after she passed. Those two firearms will be in my family long after I've left this world. Even though the 30-06 was bought in the 50s/60s, it still shoots just as good as any out there. It's nice having something of theirs with me while I hunt.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Hopefully I’ll be adding .404 Jeffrey to my “oddball” list soon! Found a Ruger No 1-H Tropical for a fair deal. I’ll be trying to “blood” it this fall.

What part of Africa are you headed towards? :)

<>< Fish

golfer

Four Pointer
Disappointment in 3 deer shot with .270 has led me to build a 6.5 Grendel for this coming year.

Disappointment in 3 deer shot with .270 has led me to build a 6.5 Grendel for this coming year.
What bullet were you using and what range? Every deer I have shot with my .270 has dropped dead where it stood. The 6.5G is a slower, similar weight round so I don't think it would outperform a .270.

Buddy has had issues with using ballistic tip .270 on deer under 75 yards. I think the round was still going to fast to mushroom appropriately.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk