RE:What Calibers Do You Use To Deer Hunt Besides The More Popular One's?

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
.35 Rem is still my favorite woods gun but in the non-typical calibers I have taken
.444 marlin
.44 mag
.375 Winchester
.240 Weatherby
and once in a blue moon I will take a .30-40 Krag

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
32-20 Marlin
8mm
8mm-06
.280 Rem
.45 & .50 muzzies
Several of the standards
Killed deer with all but the 32-20.

WildmanSC

Spike
Ruger American in 7MM-08. I changed out the plastic stock for an actionwood stock. It's heavier to carry, but it deadens the push on my old shoulder!

ka30270

Six Pointer
I hunt most places with either an AR in 300 Blackout or my Ruger American in 300 Blk. I woods hunt with a 220 expanding subsonic and field hunt with a 110 Barnes TAC-TX or a 125 Hornady SST up to 250 yards or so. I did pick up a 6.5 Creedmoor a few weeks ago........

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
280 Ackley Improved
6mm Creed
6XC
243 Ackley Improved
444 Marlin
44 Rem Mag
221 Fireball
Most of the work being done with a 50 muzzleloader these days

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I've got my Dads 351 win.SL,my youngest daughter has kill a few deer with it but there is no telling how many bear dad killed with it.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I used to use a 25-06, stupidly sold the gun but will own another oneday. Currently i have 4 choices, 12 gauge buckshot, 12 gauge sabot slug from a fully rifled barrel remington 1100, 7mm remington magnum in a remington 700, and a henry big boy steel in 44 remington magnum. Since i brought the henry, that is what i carry on 90% of the time i spend hunting. I put skinner peep sights on it, i havent taken a deer with it yet but ive taken a good liking to the rifle. It shoots and carries so well, the only time i pull anything else out is if i know im ginna be shooting at a range the henry cant reach, then i pull out the 7mm. Oh and i always carry my sig 45 in a shoulder holster. Never know what or who ya might run into. As for a real (in my eyes anyway) off the wall calibers, dont know what rifles i would put em in but im dying to build a 264 win mag and a 35 whelen

JakeH

Four Pointer
As of right now....

.270 Win
.243 Win

It’s painfully boring. I need to add something just slightly off the wall to make up for it.