Votes: 3 13.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Been seeing some comments on social media where NC needs a right to retrieve law so hunters can go and retrieve their hunting dogs on private property.

Is that a law needed for NC?

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Sure. Let's give them the rights to go in our houses as well to make sure the dogs didn't accidentally sneak inside. We should also be required to cook supper for any doggers still out looking for their dogs after dark.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
What size spoon?

We do fine without a "right to retrieve", if I need access to somewhere I can't retrieve a hound, I will ask permission. I have only had to do this a couple times over the years. Having good relations with neighbors goes a long way.

NC G.S. 113-291.5A. Exemption from civil liability for landholder permitting retrieval of hunting dogs.
(a)It is the intent of the General Assembly to recognize that hunting with dogs is a valuable part of the outdoor heritage of the State of North Carolina, and it is further the intent of the General Assembly to encourage cooperative and neighborly agreements between landowners and hunters to allow legal retrieval of hunting dogs.
(b)Any person, as an owner, lessee, occupant, or otherwise in control of land, who gives permission to a hunter to enter upon the land for the purpose of retrieving hunting dogs that have strayed onto the land owes that hunter the same duty of care the person owes a trespasser.
(2015-144, s. 8.)

I do think it should be illegal for someone other than the owner to retain a hunting dog, without contacting the owner immediately then returning the dog to the owner or surrendering the dog to the county animal control. I would hate to be calling or correcting a hound that could not come to me. This also, could possibly stop the theft and relocation of dogs, after the illegal removal of collars. This seems to be happening more frequent in the past few years. I have known of hunters doing this to dogs and well as animal rights groups such as PETA.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
The need for a "right to retrieve" has long since passed,with the innovations in tracking eguip. if a hound gets on private land the hunter does not have permission to hunt on and is not running if the hound left alone most of the time the hunter can get him out without going on the land on those rare occasions when the hound may have a problem getting off such as it being hurt they should seek permission from owner before he tries to recover the hound.Now when we lease land to a still hunting club in dog hunting country we put it in the lease that in the hope of maintaining good relations between clubs after shooting hours the neighboring dog hunting clubs can go on the still hunting club without firearms and retrieve lost hounds if they contact a member of the club or me however the dog hunting club must allow the still hunting club the right to recover animals that are shot and cross onto their club before they expire using the same rules except that a handgun my be taken to dispatch a wounded animal.I negotiate the agreement myself so if it is abused by either club I stop it.Been doing this for years it has lead to a whole lot less headaches for both clubs and for me as I tell all the clubs that lease land from us as the contact person for all my families leased land that does not mean I am a babysitter for grown men get along with all private land owners and surrounding clubs does not matter if they are dog hunting or still hunting clubs or I will find somebody that will.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Also think we need to push for a right to retrieve law in NC

This was the comment I saw on social media the other day that got me thinking about a 'right to retrieve' law.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks DRS for posting that statute. Did not know that existed.

So not sure why anyone thinks NC needs a rtr law

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Kind of a gray area here since alot of timber companies REQUIRE anyone on their property to be named/insured on the lease.
So, if a lessee lets a non club member onto his lease to retrieve dogs and and the lessor/landowner finds out, the lessor/landowner can kick that club off for breaking their lease agreement.
CRC is just stirring the pot but he has brought a really good point to light.
Can a lessee let non club members onto leased land without losing their lease?
Nope, we don't need to change to a RTR state.
Been seeing some comments on social media where NC needs a right to retrieve law so hunters can go and retrieve their hunting dogs on private property.

Is that a law needed for NC?

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've found over the years that politely explaining what happened and asking permission to go retrieve your dogs usually works just as good as a Right to Retrieve statue.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have hunted in one state that had it and it was very handy to have, MI. You would be in the Manistee National Forest there are private holdings out in it everywhere from 1/4 acre to large tracts. If you get a dog on them most time they are deer camps and no one is around to go ask as deer season isn't in when we were there. You just leave your weapon and go get your dog.

We didn't have the electronics then we do now either. If it does pass here it would make little to no difference to me. I can't remember when I have had a dog get off where it is supposed to be.

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have hunted in one state that had it and it was very handy to have, MI. You would be in the Manistee National Forest there are private holdings out in it everywhere from 1/4 acre to large tracts. If you get a dog on them most time they are deer camps and no one is around to go ask as deer season isn't in when we were there. You just leave your weapon and go get your dog.

We didn't have the electronics then we do now either. If it does pass here it would make little to no difference to me. I can't remember when I have had a dog get off where it is supposed to be.

Garmins are a wonderful thing, are they not?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

I would love to have the RTR. I just think with the tools available today that there is less of a need. I also think now is not the time to push for such a regulation and that will likely not change in the future.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Between the GPS tracking and training unit and all the collas I have close to $2,000 in al of it. Worth every dime of it too.

Last edited:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
What's the cost of this Garmin system that works so well?[/QUOTEColl

You can get GPS +training unit and 1 collar for around 800.00 extra collars are around 300.00 each.You can buy bundles that get you the unit and more collars.As wildcat3 said worth every dime.

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Obviously I'm pretty clueless about most of this stuff, but in comparison to other dog hunting purchases (food, gas, dog boxes, more basic tracking collars, etc), how does high end tracking equipment with good gps/beeping/shocking capability stack up? 2 grand seems like a lot of money to me.

FWIW, I'm just curious if this technology should be mainstream, or if it's impractical for some. I've still hunted as a guest quite a bit on a property with neighboring clubs having all the best stuff and it alleviated a lot of problems. There were still a couple guys that preferred to let their dogs cross the property line if they were actively running for fear of confusing their dogs, but it got rid of a lot of stragglers just bumping around on our place all afternoon.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Allowing a RTR could open a big can of worms. One reason so many are adamant against such a law are the renegades out there that wouldn't think twice to run across fields, open gates and do what they please on private land while using the RTR as an excuse.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
What's the cost of this Garmin system that works so well?

A hand held GPS w/trainng and one collar $800. Additional collars $300 each. I run eight collars and two GPS units, one GPS unit stays in the truck connected to a long range antennae. A tablet hooked to the Long range GPS for a larger screen, an Garmin Drive Track 70 for back up and use in back up truck.

My cost for a 8 dog system.

2 units with one collar $1600
6 collars $1800
Long range antennae (stock roof mount and larger magnet base) $100
Tablet and DT 70 $700
Ram mounts for tablet $100
Birds Eye for 2 units & DT70 $90 (annual cost)
Misc. Chargers and power supplies $100

$4500 for my system. Collars will need to be replaced at some point.

My kennel partner and I have near $10,000 invested for hunting a pack of 18 dogs.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Obviously I'm pretty clueless about most of this stuff, but in comparison to other dog hunting purchases (food, gas, dog boxes, more basic tracking collars, etc), how does high end tracking equipment with good gps/beeping/shocking capability stack up? 2 grand seems like a lot of money to me.

FWIW, I'm just curious if this technology should be mainstream, or if it's impractical for some. I've still hunted as a guest quite a bit on a property with neighboring clubs having all the best stuff and it alleviated a lot of problems. There were still a couple guys that preferred to let their dogs cross the property line if they were actively running for fear of confusing their dogs, but it got rid of a lot of stragglers just bumping around on our place all afternoon.

I can see where it could be hard for some to purchase a GPS/Training system. However, it is money well spent. It is not prefect. I still have had dogs get away, but if I can get in front of them it is unbelievable how well it works.
Many times I only have to start hollering and the dogs load or come to load. Tone,the hard headed ones and you stop the dogs. I have no problem toning/shocking mine off the track. I haven't ruined one yet and if I do oh well. I want my hounds to listen to me above anything. If I can get close to them and they can hear me, they will come. Wind speed and wind direction play a huge role in a dog being able to hear, making that a variable on controlling the dogs.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I would not want to hunt without the ALPHA system, that is for sure. Best money I've spent on hunting, other than the first dogs I bought.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
The Alpha system is the deal,I run alot of collars and 3 units,my bother has about the same as I do not everybody can afford the same systems but more and more are moving to some type of GPS systems.Everybody trains their hounds different I will tone them off a track but I will not tone them off a tree but I haven't had a hound tree on land I didn't have permission to hunt or go onto in years.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Garmin Hunt View Map System is a much better buy to me than the Birds Eye View. Much easier to deal with than having to load each portion you want separately and you have the landowner listed on each parcel. Buy it one time and you have it, no yearly fee.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The Garmin Hunt View Map System is a much better buy to me than the Birds Eye View. Much easier to deal with than having to load each portion you want separately and you have the landowner listed on each parcel. Buy it one time and you have it, no yearly fee.

Ya, I need to check to find out if I use Hunt View if it will still show the dogs on my tablet. I need to email Garmin.

Southside

Ten Pointer
Ya, I need to check to find out if I use Hunt View if it will still show the dogs on my tablet. I need to email Garmin.
Can the tablet Bluetooth from the Garmin or does it have to be connected by cable? Not that the cable is an issue I was just curious if the Garmin has Bluetooth capabilities.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk