Black soldier fly larvae for bream

23mako

Ten Pointer
Anyone ever use these as bream bait? What about other larvae style baits? I have used waxworms but interested in what others have used as well.

Thanks!

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
It can be painful but brother and cousin (older) used to knock wasp nests down from barn eaves, I’d get them after a few minutes. Nice fat white grubs in them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone ever use these as bream bait? What about other larvae style baits? I have used waxworms but interested in what others have used as well.

Thanks!
I have when the aggravating things get in my worm bed. They are tough and make good bait.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It can be painful but brother and cousin (older) used to knock wasp nests down from barn eaves, I’d get them after a few minutes. Nice fat white grubs in them!!

Wasp larvae are great bream bait.

As noted, man up and knock the nests down....no chemicals

Experience dictates that nests should be stored in the fridge...beside the catalpa worms.

Options that do not work well include storing nests in a warm closet with Sunday clothes or storing nests in a small, hot spare bedroom.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you boys want to fight a wasp just for bream bait, i hope you catch a ton.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I have used wasp nest larvae many times to catch Bream..U can raise your own maggots I have used them also good bait..Meal worms u can raise them as well great bait for Bream..Wish I could find some Catalpa worms during Bream season to fish with..If I could find some black soldier fly larvae I would try them I would imagine just about any fly larvae would work...

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Wasp larvae are great bream bait.

As noted, man up and knock the nests down....no chemicals

Experience dictates that nests should be stored in the fridge...beside the catalpa worms.

Options that do not work well include storing nests in a warm closet with Sunday clothes or storing nests in a small, hot spare bedroom.

this use to be my summer "job" when i was seven or so. half of randolph county fished on my wasp nests , worm digging and "catwaba" worm collection.. Good times.

ps, bb guns arent a short cut on the wasp nests.. LOL

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
One of these days I’ll cease to scratch my head at trying to reinvent the wheel for catching fish....

In other aspects of life, it can be known as overengineered. (Not the soldier fly larvae, the wasp larvae)

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Wasp larvae and catalpa worms are two of the best baits there are for bream (and several other fish.) With regular paper wasps, you don't have to fight them, just knock them down with a bamboo pole. They won't chase you like yallerjackets or hornets.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I thought bream would eat anything...def not getting buzzed up by wasps to do so. Bread balls, redworms, crickets...all free/cheap and dont try to kill you

kauaihunta

Button Buck
I've used them. Great bait...they are tough and stay on the hook well. We tore the bream up and got a couple catfish also.