Plumbers? Hole in exterior wall

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
wall.jpg

Can someone explain why there would be a hole cut out like in the picture? An oblong cut above vent with insulation in it like that. The hole accesses a regular bath tub, not jetted or anything.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My guess would be to access the drain or water pipes. Perhaps they needed to be repaired or replaced previously. Check for couplings. That'll tell you the story.

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Makes sense but drain and shower head all on other end. Would they not be able to do repairs from underneath in crawl space?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like the area has sustained a bit of water damage and has been poorly patched. Wonder if that area of the seal was rotted and cut out without having new wood placed back??
For what reason has it been stripped to this point of finding this?

Last edited:

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Maybe drain and feed were on the end pictured at one time then moved after a significant leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
It was stripped to this point due to replacing masonite siding and they found this. Masonite looked weak so they pulled a few strips off to see if there was a problem and kept moving up to find all of this.

Thanks for the replies.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It was stripped to this point due to replacing masonite siding and they found this. Masonite looked weak so they pulled a few strips off to see if there was a problem and kept moving up to find all of this.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh. Well at least you now know why the Masonite looked weak. Bad thing is (I'm sure you have figured out now) you need a substantial bit of wood repair/replaced to get it all safe and structurally sound..