Deer t-loin and some woodcock

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Took tenderloin from deer killed last weekend. Sliced thin and wrapped around jalapeños and a little cream cheese.
Throw in over for 25 minutes on 350*.
Yum. https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59048&stc=1&d=1515430201

Woodcock breasts. Rolled in Cajun breader and bacon fat. Deep fried till golden. Wowser.
https://nchuntandfish.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59049&stc=1&d=1515430219

Attachments

• IMG_5371.jpg
    IMG_5371.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 130

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've read quite a few opinions on the flavor of woodcock which range from "the most prized game ever" to "tastes like dirt". I like them. The more done you cook them, the more of a liver flavor they have. That's fine by me. And of course, bacon adds a seasoned flavor to anything.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I've read quite a few opinions on the flavor of woodcock which range from "the most prized game ever" to "tastes like dirt". I like them. The more done you cook them, the more of a liver flavor they have. That's fine by me. And of course, bacon adds a seasoned flavor to anything.

Like dove?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer

I like em too... Definitely a more "rich" flavor to them. I fried those until they were barely done and crispy. Still nice and medium rare on the inside.

I did some last year in a pan and they were way too easy to get overdone. Deep fryer is they way I'll do them going forward.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Like dove?

The breast looks almost identical to a dove breast, but the taste is a little stronger. You can pan fry in bacon grease on high for just a couple minutes side, though I'm sure deep fried is really good.

Last edited: