Teaching Sunday School

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I've been pretty active in our new church. I even took time off to teach at VBS this summer. We have just started a non-profit to work with under served Youth teaching Coding, Controls, Robotics, etc. I still felt like I had more to give and the Sunday School has been struggling with the Teacher retired and not sure she wanted to continue. Starting tomorrow, I am leading the program and teaching at the first service. I survived VBS, I survived Teenagers, lord let me survive a room full of screaming kids. Seriously though, hoping I can be a blessing to the Kids and create life long Disciples. The Lord has seen fit to shed more grace on me then I will ever deserve. We've been blessed with a beautiful family, a beautiful home, and after years of hard work a very good salary. My mission is to share those blessings with Others however the Lord wants to use them. I've thought hard about how to grow the Youth Program and the Sunday School. I've come to the conclusion all I can do is try to change one life at a time and if the Lord sees a larger group as part of that it will grow. If it's meant to stay as a small group it will. Definitely a new chapter for me though. I've really changed my priorities the last year and it feels good to have the right perspective.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Not sure I shared this here but this Summer I was asked by my Family to give a Eulogy. I didn't realize until I got there that there wasn't a Minister or anyone else speaking. It really marked a turning point for my Family. They have always followed one dominant Patriarch who mocks Christians. He was once like a Father to me but in this case he had to go hunting rather than attend the service. It really showed me how misaligned some peoples priorities are and I've been reflecting on it often. Seeing my extended family in a religious setting was pretty amazing and I felt pretty honored they chose to be there and have me speak. It's amazing what happens when we make ourselves available.

Most on here that know me personally know I am not a great communicator. The rapid mumbled speech and constant excited chatter are a challenge. If the Lord can use me to reach others he can use anyone.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Good luck!!!! I've taught middle school Sunday School for about 15 years, nothing better than having kids in a room talking about the Bible...Enjoy... :)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's awesome sir...shared blessings are the absolute best as per the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Love is something that has to be shared to be real.

Tarheeler

Twelve Pointer
Awesome, ive been teaching for a few years, it will def make you study more

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Been doing it for awhile myself. I wasn't ready for it, but God was. Remember, he doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called. The best thing for me after serving on the board for 6 years, and then moving into teaching, was that it forced me to study, as already mentioned. That has been a great thing for me. In fact here I sit now, planning the lesson for tomorrow's class (although taking a break to read this site) at 6 am. So my learning has advanced, and the fellowship with the few that attend SS has been fantastic. The size of the class doesn't matter; sometimes we have 3, sometimes 15, and honestly, the smaller more intimate classes seem to be the best. God will size accordingly. Do your best to prepare, get the attendees to share in the conversation, and all will go according to God's plan.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been "teaching" (I'm really a facilitator) for 5 years now. That is about to come to a halt. My class membership has dwindled over the past few years from about 15+ to about 4 people, and 3 of them I can barely get to say a word. That's just not working with my teaching style, so we are about to merge with another class where I will become a substitute teacher. But, I agree whole heartedly with you guys. I've learned MUCH more by teaching than I ever did as just a student. To be honest, I'm about ready for a break. I've been the ONLY teacher for my class for the past 4 years, so I've not hardly been able to go anywhere for an entire weekend in that time. However, I'm sure God will fill the vacuum with something else before long!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve taken an active role in the Youth Group and also been working on s Non-Profit for underserved Kids as well. My Sunday School May spike to 6 kids with both services combined right now but if the Lord sees fit he will multiply it.

I actually just turned down a six figure promotion and Tier 1 Relo to the Pacific NW, CO, HA, or AZ to stay here in PA I’m a high stress high risk role. The only connection I have is this small church. I prayed hard for God to make the decision because mine would have been selfish. A high energy driven person turning down a significant leap in my career set off alarms to my Wife and Kids. I still can’t explain it but I was calm as I ever remember being that whole week. Like it didn’t matter. Whatever brought me here was still not finished it seems. Thank you all for the encouragement. It’s really helped as I was seriously doubting my abilities to lead this small group but it’s become so much fun the parents usually are finished and the kids don’t want to leave. I can’t explain it but it’s the most fun I have had in years. Hardly even hunted last fall and have a new to me Pre-64 model 70 308 sitting in Raleigh almost 9 mos. and not even motivated by the fact it hasn’t been transferred yet. Just not as important as it was.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I do understand the need to step back. I work 14-16 hours most days and always M-Sat. Sun. I am at the church from 8 until 3. That’s every week with 1 Sat every 4-6 weeks if I’m lucky. With this big house, 4 Kids, 2 dogs that doesn’t leave time to do anything including sleep. It wears on me more than it did before my 35th birthday. The excitement from the kids keeps me going and makes it all worth it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Jeremiah....I commend you. You sound like you've taken the advice to "be still and listen" rather than headlong into turmoil and stress. One day those days will come crashing down and you will have nothing but "things" to show for it if you chose to live that way. It sounds as if you have chosen a different course, all your searching may prove that you didn't have a clue what the prize really was. It sounds as if the prize is making itself known.

Last edited:

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
I’m glad to see a guy teach a Sunday school. I grew up in a fairly strict church where it was always only women who taught SS, but now that I’m older I see the need for men to also fill those roles. I think strong Christian men/religious men are a dying breed.
I often wonder if there will be any left for my daughter when she is grown.
Glad to see you’re excited for your new role, best of luck!