Anyone have any experience with the Badger Ridge Remington 700 ML Conversion?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've recently acquired another Remington 700 ML Magnum, and am giving serious thought to installing a Badger Ridge Remington 700 ML Conversion on it.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No experience with badger ridge but it looks like that kit is similar to the original hunter bolt nose kit that was used forever. The breech plug still uses a vent liner which is ancient technology compared to the newer busing plugs. Just me but if I was going to spend the money on a conversion I would go the ASG gen II plug route from here:

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/arrowheadplug_700ml-10ml.html

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Never heard of Badger Ridge, but I have converted many, many Remington 700ML's to smokeless over the last 12 years or so. It is a fairly simple conversion, with many options.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This isn't a smokeless conversion, but an ignition conversion

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This isn't a smokeless conversion, but an ignition conversion

Smokeless or not isn't the issue. If you want to spend the money to upgrade the ignition I would either get 1shot1kill to do it or go with one of three options that has a ton of following. Arrowhead sporting goods 209 plug conversion, Arrowhead Sporting Goods Gen II LRMP plug conversion, Hankins Custom Rifles LRMP or 209 Plug Conversion. The old style savage plug with a bushing insert and a hunters bolt nose kit is a fourth option if you want the cheapest but effective route. All of those systems will be 10x better with any BP sub like blackhorn also.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Smokeless or not isn't the issue. If you want to spend the money to upgrade the ignition I would either get 1shot1kill to do it or go with one of three options that has a ton of following. Arrowhead sporting goods 209 plug conversion, Arrowhead Sporting Goods Gen II LRMP plug conversion, Hankins Custom Rifles LRMP or 209 Plug Conversion. The old style savage plug with a bushing insert and a hunters bolt nose kit is a fourth option if you want the cheapest but effective route. All of those systems will be 10x better with any BP sub like blackhorn also.

I have some smokeless conversions and the associated upgrades.

I think I'm saying the same as brownisdown. I also have a Rem 700 mz converted to shoot as a BP gun to include BH 209. Excellent, light, very accurate gun. I would go the cheapest route unless you will shoot more than confirming zero each year after the initial sight in.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have some smokeless conversions and the associated upgrades.

I think I'm saying the same as brownisdown. I also have a Rem 700 mz converted to shoot as a BP gun to include BH 209. Excellent, light, very accurate gun. I would go the cheapest route unless you will shoot more than confirming zero each year after the initial sight in.
I shoot probably 250 rounds every year through the Rem ML I have now.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot probably 250 rounds every year through the Rem ML I have now.

I would go with the arrowhead busing plug and let luke convert your bolt. It will make a huge difference in cleanup and overall accuracy if you convert

ourway77

Button Buck
Rifle powder guns are the only way too go I have been shooting them ever since the Savage ML'er II was introduced CVA offersIMG_0471.jpg many 45-70 break actions that can be converted by the afore mentioned people and they are a very good entry level rifle

Blackpowder8bore

Button Buck
I like the Badger Ridge and Arrowhead bolt conversions. BR work looks top quality. Either is great.

I was wondering about the McGowan prefit Rem700 & Savage ml2 barrels and if they are prefit to the ASG Rem700 ml 209 ,LRMP,or any of the Arrowhead plug/bolt upgrades ? Or if those prefit barrels can fit the Badger Ridge conversion either? They're mentioned for a side part on Arrowheads website.

Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

Blackpowder8bore

Button Buck
Looking at the website, it's apparent to me the Badger Ridge bolt conversions look top quality in parts and gunsmithing. I would definitely spend what they ask to have my 700 ml stainless converted using their parts,and as soon as I find out whether or not the barrel I'm using for my build can hook up to their breech plug,I may very well be sending Badger Ridge my 700ml.

Only Arrowhead sporting goods also does conversions, that I've seen.

For me it's making sure whether the breech plug is compatible with the barrel I'm using.
Hope this helps.