Trout fishing jan/feb

strommin

Spike
Ive done a little trout fishing in the past and am wanting to go again. Anybody have any suggestions for where to fish in January or February? I live in the near Asheboro so I would be looking for suggestions within driving distance for a day trip. Thanks

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Ive done a little trout fishing in the past and am wanting to go again. Anybody have any suggestions for where to fish in January or February? I live in the near Asheboro so I would be looking for suggestions within driving distance for a day trip. Thanks
I'll send you a pm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Any stream that has fish in the summer generally has fish in the winter. The trick is using tiny nymphs.. I like #18-24s personally. Ive caught some decent ones in the davidson this time of year on RS2s and other similar patterns around #20 size

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You better wait a couple of weeks, or bring an auger. Everything up this way that has trout is frozen.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
The delayed harvest creeks usually fish well all winter. Real trout hibernate for the most part, though. Liquid water does not exist in my area right now, though.

Bobby

Button Buck
mostly fish Alleghany county some Avery delayed harvest and north fork New River descent, yes agree with Nymphs

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Find a tailwater like the Watagua or S. Houston in Tennessee. Winter is when they fish the best. On rivers like these I would hire a guide and learn the water. Go check out Jeffrey Wilkins fly fishing. He will treat you right and will be money well spent.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Fish the Catawba River tailwaters below Lake James to Morganton. Browns don't slow down and the water temps are relatively constant. Check the turbine schedule....it can get a little dicey starting off if 2 or more are going....I know this from experience lol

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I fish the foothills of Lenior, Marion. Also waters below Asheville and Brevard. This time if year your getting into nice fishing. The warm days have had the bugs hatching. But the cold water is still keeping the trout slow. They are biting soft and don't fight hard yet. Hatchery supported are closed this month, but Delayed harvest and Wild trout are always open. But that be a haul for you, over night/camping would serve you best. Mitchel river DH, is close to 77 and dobson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
There are a coupke managed creeks i have fished in Surry county , east of 77. All are on NC wildlife site interactive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If your not looking to keep fish delayed harvest is way to go they will stock 1st week March April and May fishing only gets better as time goes then it opens to delayed rules 1st Sat June.