what do you carry to the stand?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Another thread got me wondering. Sounds like things have changed and I haven't kept up. What all is essential to you when hunting from a climbing stand that you would carry other than your weapon? Maybe a drink and a pack of nabs unless you were staying all day.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Let’s see,
Clothes, pistol, orange hat, ear buds, phone, ammo, glasses and most importantly HIGH HOPES!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This reply is more focused on gameland hunting far from the truck than it is on private land where you may not hike far with the climber.

i walk in wearing base layers and shorts to avoid overheating.....even in weather as cold as it is this week. Then i need to have extra layers for top and bottoms when i get to the spot i want to hunt.

I also carry my cleaning supplies. (Knife, trash bags, folding saw, etc.) I quarter the deer in the woods and pack the quarters out in trash bags.

When hunting over a mile from the truck on gamelands, i'm only making 1 trip in and 1 trip out.....whether i bag a deer or not...

JakeH

Four Pointer
Depends on where I am and the time of year. For the first time this year, I carried a pistol due to some bears showing up on camera. Early in the year I’ll have a thermacell. Binoculars are always on a chest harness. Cell phone, of course. And I like to carry a Primos can and grunt call most of the time too.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Pull rope, wind checker, range finder if necessary, grunt, can, rattle bag, grubbage, small folding saw and clippers. Binos are always with as well, but on a harness and not in the bag.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of items that the they have written about, plus a nice head lamp, couple extra sets of batteries. I keep extra dry clothes in truck also.

VikingsFan8178

As a must have...first things that come to mind

1. My hunting weapon of choice and the things that make it work (ever leave your arrows or ammo in the truck?).
2. Knife (usually two)
3. Cell Phone
4. Pistol
5. Hearing protection (didn't always do this, unfortunately)

That is probably the minimum for me....

ariel816

Button Buck
Pretty much everything said above but I also carry a portable battery charger for my phone I'd hate to be stuck somewhere with a dead phone needing help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If I'm still hunting it's just the gun, small flashlight and a gutting knife. When going to a stand I usually also carry a few calls and different sorts of urine (not that they help me much), a few thin ropes to haul things up to the stand with, a harness, range finder (if I'm using a bow), and a couple different flash lights and batteries.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Bow, arrows, pull up rope, release

Pack.
Video camera with extra
2nd small video camera
Camera
10x42 binos
Range finder
Grunt tube
Head lamp, small flash light with a few extra batteries
Snack maybe a water in early
Pull up rope
Backup release

On climing stand 2 pouches.
With safety rope for tree
Cinch straps for stand
Screw in hanger
Saw

Last edited:

DanH

Four Pointer
Toilet paper
Deer drag
Couple of calls
Knight&Hale pack rattle
Thermacell
Scent
I carry an extra safety strap for the climber just in case I drop the other
Water
Hothands in case I forget at house
Spare knife and flashlight

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
sitting pad
binocs
empty bottle for a urinal
snacks & water
dragging harness
flashlight and xtra batteries
small paperback book
toilet paper
adjustable call---bleats and grunts
knife
flagging tape
rope
phone
6 rounds in the cylinder!

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For me, what I carry depends upon whether I'm bow hunting or gun hunting and if it's easily accessible private land where I have permanent stands, or gameland where I have to walk in a good distance.

Pack containing:
First aid kit
Thermocell and supplies (only in mosquito season)
Binoculars
Range finder (bow season)
Skinning knife
Haul rope
Lighter
Pen
Headlamp and batteries
Grunt call
water bottle (long hunts)
pee bottle (only on longer hunts)
climbing stand (game land hunts)
deer hauler (game land hunts)
tablet (long hunts only)
face mask

On me:
safety harness
SAK with saw
bill fold with license, etc.
bandana
watch with compass
phone
firearm or bow (bow can be attached to pack)

As little as possible , I'm there to hunt not lounge around like I'm at home in the recliner , running back and forth to the refrigerator and the bathroom:)

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Facemask, knife, light, gloves, weapon. Wallet, keys, and a couple extra MZ loads/bullets are in cargo pants pocket. Water in other cargo pocket in warm weather or in heavy jacket pocket during cold. Grunt call around my neck. Pull up ropes are already at stands or tied to climber. Only time I ever take a pack is when I plan to sit all day and bring food.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pull rope, wind checker, range finder if necessary, grunt, can, rattle bag, grubbage, small folding saw and clippers. Binos are always with as well, but on a harness and not in the bag.

Same stuff + a safety harness rope.. which I know he carries too but must have forgot.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I can’t help but think after reading this, that some of y’all look like Howard spraig on the Andy Griffith show that time he went fishing with Andy, barney, Floyd and goober.................

For me, it’s a gun and a flashlight. Sometimes depending on where I’m hunting I may carry binos but it ain’t often.

Last edited: