Efficient carry

VikingsFan8178

The forum has helped me to brainstorm about some specific ideas so here is another one.

I have a few places that I hunt infrequently and I do not feel comfortable putting up fixed stands (for various reasons). So, I always take my climbing stand with me. When I lug that into the woods on my back, I usually have to carry my rifle in my hands instead of over my shoulder. Also, the nice big backpack that I throw everything in has to stay in the truck because my back is already occupied with my climber. Instead of my backpack, I will use a small waist pack to carry things in...etc, etc, etc.

I really dislike carrying a lot of stuff into the woods with me but I also feel like there are minimal things that I always want with me. I just need to figure out the most efficient way to do it.

So, if you use a climber, what is your carry system like?

PS - I do not have access to an ATV, so consider that in your answer. I am going in and out on-foot.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Back when I was younger and I used to carry a climber, I slung my backpack over my climber then put the climber on. I didn't take long to figure out the MUST haves in the backpack. That mess got heavy fast!

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Summit Viper aluminum stand.

Carry it cables down, and my backpack straps to the stand. backpack has a waist belt that clips around the arm rests of the stand, and the top loop on the backpack gets tied to the front rail of the stand.

carry rifle in hand.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Summit Viper aluminum stand.

Carry it cables down, and my backpack straps to the stand. backpack has a waist belt that clips around the arm rests of the stand, and the top loop on the backpack gets tied to the front rail of the stand.

carry rifle in hand.

^^ This ^^
Pack strapped to stand and it all goes on my back. Weapon of choice in hand. Forces you to figure out what is necessary and what isn't.
If Im going real far out a forest service road I put it all on my cabelas super/mag game hauler and roll it out like a shopping buggy, that way if I kill one I do not have to make multiple trips to the truck.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I will very snugly bungee my backpack inside my climber towards the middle or bottom for balance/weight distribution. I have at times worn a fanny pack (backwards) like you mentioned, but I prefer to have my backpack.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have had the Summit for years (like 21.0 lbs) and most comfortable have ever used. Can strap whatever use on back as others have stated and the cables go around tree real easy and very quiet climbing. Mine has the cables that are attached the old way, when they first came out. They are made little different now, but still very solid and no bolts to break...all welded and rated to 300 lbs. Have logged many miles with it on my back and never a problem. Very secure seat...facing tree or away...gun rest. Took a buck few years back across a cutover/pasture with gun resting on shooting rest...320 yards at last light...up a pine about 35 feet. Solid as a rock.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I throw my pack on my Summit viper and roll on. The expansion straps on the pack hook nicely on the foot stirrups.

VikingsFan8178

Summit Viper sounds nice. I am going to weigh my climber when I get home. Curious to see the weight comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I carry my bow in hand, if I have a rifle I sling it so that the gun is infront of my shoulder and cradle the butt stock in that hand. I strap my backpack on to the stand on my back, but it has to be strapped down well so it doesn't bounce and make noise

DanH

Four Pointer
I have a summit goliath sd 21lbs rated for 350lbs add some molle Back pack straps to it to make it easier and more comfortable to carry and attach backpack to it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have a summit openshot so that helps. Replaced the straps with molle pack straps. I always ratchet strap my stand to the tree, I use that strap to keep the stand together on my back and to secure a small pack to it. I carry my bow or gun but if I wanted to put it on my back I would leave it in a molle case and tie it on.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use a wheeled deer hauler for long walk in's. I figure if I get lucky and kill one, then I'm going to have to walk back to the truck to get the hauler, so why not take it in to begin with...and while I take it in, why not strap my stand and pack and other items to it? All I actually have to tote myself is my gun. I used this system on some gated game lands that required over .75 miles of walking to get to my chosen spot. Worked pretty darned good!

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Hang your pack on your climber like a pack frame. That is what I do and I carry a lot of stuff to and up he tree with me.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, like the guys said ^.

Adjust the pack harness straps to slide over the climber frame.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All i can say is summit aluminum ..... the rest doesnt matter.. i own steel and aluminum summit- easy peasy

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to hunt a place that was a 45 minute walk in. I did not use a climber but got a very light weight hang-on stand (5 lbs). I put my small pack on the stand and then carried the stand on my back. I carried bow or gun in hand. The key is light weight stuff. I remember the day I got a big buck back in there. It took 2 1/2 hours to get him to where i could drive to. I'm lots older now and not too tempted to try a hunt like that again.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I will very snugly bungee my backpack inside my climber towards the middle or bottom for balance/weight distribution. I have at times worn a fanny pack (backwards) like you mentioned, but I prefer to have my backpack.

When I used to use a climber I would do the same as Familyman. as far as the assault/small backpack. Rifle was always at port arms for surprise use.

CD

willb

Eight Pointer
i carry my stand on my back and fanny pack packed full. it gets tuff when i use recurve. bow in one hand and quiver in the other but i make it work.
i walk in with my climbing harness on. one less thing to worry with.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
IF I have a long walk first time in the stand usually stays there for a few days. I have 3 Summit vipers and all those have nice carabineers that allow me to hang back packs on them and I usually have a fairly in expensive cargo strap to ratchet down any thing I need to..

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
There's not much to add except that in areas where you can ride a mountain bike (and if you're in good enough shape) a bike with one of the little tow behind trailers can be a handy way go faaaar into the woods and still get you deer out.

Lance

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Well here goes my .02, I have carried a climbing stand somewhere close to 100,000 miles [felt like] and have become very opinionated as to what is the best method to get a gun, my stuff and a climbing stand into the woods a mile or three.
First thing is that my preferred [read this OCD] rifle carry is slung on my left shoulder, muzzle down. Starting with this, most backpacking is out.
This would include cargo packs and climbing stands so I spent some time carrying a stand several different ways.
I started wearing a turkey vest instead of a backpack full time while hunting many years ago and I found that my stand of choice [API] would ride well on my right shoulder using either the chains or one backpack strap across my shoulder [most turkey vests have padded straps to cushion here]. This works well with a Summit and several other stands too.
Using this type of carry distributes your load well, leaving both hands free to put your weapon to use quickly and to protect face/eyes from brush and snip some of it with out of your way if need be. Both hands are free to either drag or cart out a deer after harvest too just grab the cart/drag strap handle and go.
This has worked very "efficiently" for me for a long time in topography from Everglade swamps to the Cascade mountains and will for you too IMO.

Last edited:

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
While this thread was specifically about toting a stand there are times when someone needs to tote a pop-up blind in too. Gameplan Gear used to make some really rugged packs and over on the Sportsman's Guide site they are blowing out the Gameplan Gear Long Haul blind pak to less than $20. It is designed to tote a blind, two stools and whatever else you need and has attachment areas for a long gun or bow.

I have 2-3 Gameplan Gear packs and they are really rugged. The Long Haul packs were over $100 a year or two ago. I ordered one yesterday for less than $30 including the shipping.....

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/gameplan-gear-long-haul-ground-blind-carrier?a=2049560

Lance

VikingsFan8178

I weighed by climbing stand yesterday and it came in at 31 pounds!

Like I said, it feels solid and I like that but whew......heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Many ears ago I bought a collapsible cart to haul deer out of the woods. Recently I have been using it to carry my climbing stand, my possibles bag and sometimes if I'm going in to an unfamiliar area I take a folding stool and a pop up blind too. Pulling it behind me I can still carry my weapon over my shoulder. When I hunt with a buddy we put both stands on it and take turns pulling it. When I get to my spot I stash the cart making sure it isn't on any path or obvious game trail. I have seen and taken many deer with that cart sitting in the brush nearby.