Closest to end of season that you killed a deer

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I saw that Wildlifer shot one yesterday with 3 minutes left in the season. I was thinking about starting this thread yesterday while freezing my butt off in my climber. I was hoping to post up a last day kill. That didn't happen so December 31 is still my latest in season kill.

I almost got to post about a kill yesterday though. Sunset was 5:13pm and two doe were slowing walking towards the tree I was up in. I was hunting with my crossbow. They got to about 50 yards but I wanted them a little closer. Also I didn't have a good shot at that range. I was sitting about 100 yards from the farm owner's house. At 5:20, I had been watching them for about 15 minutes at that point. I figured I had another 10-15 minutes to waste to wait for a good shot. It was then that one of the family member pull up to the garage at the house. The does spooked and walked off a further distance away but stayed in the area. Then the farm owner came out of the house and yelled if the people who pulled up needed help carrying things. That ended my 2017 season. Too bad I can't carry a rifle on that property.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
about sundown on january 1st. 10 pt.

last gun deer ever checked in at Mann's Store in alamance county. Wendell closed the store for good the next year as soon as ML season came in.

he likes to hunt almost as much as he likes to fish. :)

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
This buck was taken yesterday Jan 1 at 4:55p. It was her first ever deer and on the last day of 2017-2018 season. My son and I had a doe in range at 5:30ish but neither wanted to pick the gun up to shoot. It was COLD!
3115566d78d2e06445edd8abddda2b3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
10 mins before the buzzer, last day probably 2012 or 2013. And a nice buck a that.....113" as a 7 pointer, w/ an 8" G2 recently broken off.

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Took one a few years ago, about like this just about where I couldn't see thru my scope on last day. Congrats to all those who braved the weather and got one!

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Killed last day 4pm or so, thread is too old to find it. I asked about age on forum, was a scrapper, blind in left eye and skull broken as you can see on mount. Trail cam pic is snow on Dec 25th.

IMG_20171201_215919565.jpg
IMG_20180102_163218628.jpg

Last edited:

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Last year, last day, bent down to put my video camera in my pack, raised up, and out walks a 7 Pt, with 5 minutes of legal shooting light left.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
about sundown on january 1st. 10 pt.

last gun deer ever checked in at Mann's Store in alamance county. Wendell closed the store for good the next year as soon as ML season came in.

he likes to hunt almost as much as he likes to fish. :)

Miss that store and all the good days and the good polaroids and Wendell!!!

BigGun1

Eight Pointer
Let a decent one go with 15 minutes of season left yesterday. Hope he shows up next year! Let a nice eight go on last day a few years ago. Always like to think I got him two years later when he was in his prime.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Miss that store and all the good days and the good polaroids and Wendell!!!

you can find him on some mornings in the snow camp cross road store. when he aint squirreling or fishing or deering. :)

he was far ahead of the curve on fishing and deer. I bet those poloroids are still hanging? LOl

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
A doe on the final dog drive of the day New Year's Day 2013. Maybe 3:30 or 4? My biggest ever was on the first dog drive of closing day New Year's Day 2014

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Less than 30 min of legal light last day (Jan 2) last season. Big 8pt scoring 133 and change.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I was hoping for a kill to post Monday evening as well. Didn't happen, oh well. In 2015 I got one the morning of December 31st (last day of WV deer season)

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Killed a 9pt in 2009 and a 10 pt this year both were within 30 mins of Lst. Cant wait to hunt next year if they extend the season. Saw at least 25 deer Monday eve.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Every year on the last day of the season the hunting club I belonged to has a big supper of venison on the last night of the season. No one had killed a deer the past several days leading up to the end, so there were standing orders to get some meat for the pot that night. The morning hunt yielded nothing, the second hunt yielded nothing, and about 30 minutes into the last hunt I walked down to where a patch of dog fennels were at as one of the dogs trailed up to that area. He got to about 75 yards from the patch when a doe jumped and I shot her as she ran out. I know the first shot I made was a good one, but she continued running and the second shot dropped her.

I hopped across the canal ditch to get her and when I walked over it was actually 2 does, both dropped right where I had shot them.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Every year on the last day of the season the hunting club I belonged to has a big supper of venison on the last night of the season. No one had killed a deer the past several days leading up to the end, so there were standing orders to get some meat for the pot that night. The morning hunt yielded nothing, the second hunt yielded nothing, and about 30 minutes into the last hunt I walked down to where a patch of dog fennels were at as one of the dogs trailed up to that area. He got to about 75 yards from the patch when a doe jumped and I shot her as she ran out. I know the first shot I made was a good one, but she continued running and the second shot dropped her.

I hopped across the canal ditch to get her and when I walked over it was actually 2 does, both dropped right where I had shot them.

What time did you guys finally get to eat?

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
Killed a 9pt in 2009 and a 10 pt this year both were within 30 mins of Lst. Cant wait to hunt next year if they extend the season. Saw at least 25 deer Monday eve.

Not sure what part of anson you are in but they were everywhere around my house Tuesday evening. Even seen a good buck before dark cross the road. Seen your kill, that deer should have bled with a core lokt out of a 308

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What time did you guys finally get to eat?

It's been a few years. I seem to recall going on to camp and cleaning one of them and giving the backstraps and a ham to the cook so he could go ahead and fry it up. I don't remember it being too late, but seems like I recall being a little perturbed because nobody helped with any cleaning. I could count on two hands the number of does I've ever killed with a gun; seems like some had promised they would help me if I shot one for the pot because they knew I was unlikely to drop the hammer on a doe in the first place.

this year on 1/1 in SC at the last minute the buck I have hunted all year showed up trailing a doe. It was pretty much dark due to the clouds but luckily I was in a green field and could see him clearly. 2 more minutes and a doe would have been dead and I would have been gone.
20180101_185518.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg

Last edited:
One issue I have had with killing does in late seasons is that many times they will be carrying a fawn. Last year in mid December I shot a doe and she was carrying twins. Just don't set well with me for some reason.