Merry Christmas from Ft. Jefferson

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
My son and I had talked about a trip to the Dry Tortugas for many years so I decided to make it happen on his Christmas break from college. We towed the boat to Naples, FL, not without incident though. Lost the windshield on the boat somewhere between Daytona and Kissimmee. The Gulf and Atlantic were nice to us on the trip, but no windshield made it a bit breezy for us. Left Naples and fished the 90 foot range on the way to Ft. Jefferson. Grouper and snapper were biting. We picked up some peanut mahi between the DT's and Key West. Refueled in KW and made the run back up to Naples before a cold front came down and made the Gulf angry. Did some running around in SW Florida, checked out Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Returned home to this crap, probably should have stayed in FL a bit longer, it's too cold to wash the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1919.jpg
    IMG_1919.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 161

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2041.jpg
    IMG_2041.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 160

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
a few more

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 156

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Glad you guys had a good and safe trip down there and back and caught some fish, don't get no better than that..When u said u lost the windshield I though it came off the boat somehow and was gone. Looks like something busted it out in the picture..

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Glad you guys had a good and safe trip down there and back and caught some fish, don't get no better than that..When u said u lost the windshield I though it came off the boat somehow and was gone. Looks like something busted it out in the picture..

I couldn't find anything in the boat that busted it, but the construction and lanes shifts in Orlando was terrible. Anytime we venture offshore and make it back, it's a good trip, catching fish is a bonus.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Nice trip. that Fort is on my Bucket list though I may never make it there. really cool place.

It was on our Bucket list as well. I do not intend on going to the grave wishing I done this or that with my son. Hopefully I'll be showing my grandkids(when I get them) similar trips someday, but someday is not guaranteed. They do have a ferry that comes from Key West or if you want to splurge, take the seaplane.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 92

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Did you go Naples directly to the fort of Naples - KW - Fort - KW - Naples?

I'd love to do this trip on a good weather day from KW but always been leery with 60-65gallon tank.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Did you go Naples directly to the fort of Naples - KW - Fort - KW - Naples?

I'd love to do this trip on a good weather day from KW but always been leery with 60-65gallon tank.

We went Naples to the grouper grounds in 90 to 100 feet, then to Ft. Jeff. About 140NM. I probably could have made it straight back, but decided to head to KW trolling the canyon drop off for a couple hours. Filled up in KW and headed back to Naples. I hold 225 gallons and get about 1.5 NMPG. About 350 NM trip. I bumped the trip up a couple days because I saw the weather was great for 4 days in a row and turning to sh1t on the original planned dates. It's worth the effort, but 65 gallons is very sketchy. There's no anything there for services, you'll need to bring everything you need.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Nice fire trucks there. Been done there and fished the tortugas a couple of times and loved it. Also got a chance to fish the middle grounds 3 times over the summer / fall and am glad I did. Only a couple of more fishing trips on my bucket list....a long range trip out of San Diego, fishing for giant black marlin in northern Australia off the Great Barrier Reef and a trip to the Seychelles. Glad you guys had a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk