Question About Swan Loads

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
For a 12 gauge with a 2 and 3/4 inch chamber:
What is, in your opinion, the best non-toxic brand shell and what size shot?
Thanks in advance.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
BB or BBB and make sure you can see their feet or they are too high/far. That isn't to say a ton of them have been killed with much smaller. They have, but If I was just going with a swan in mind I would buy a better grade of shell and go with slightly larger and cut down on the chance of a cripple.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I use heavy shot #2 3 inch but if they got it in 2 3/4 Im sure it would work.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I'd go with hevi #2 or something like Kent Faststeel BB...no larger as you need the pattern density for a head/neck shot. And what is said above about seeing their feet before shooting is a good idea.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
I've shot several in NoDak. Started the same way most do, big bird so big shot.

Eventually figured out that a swans head is the same size as a dove. If you can shoot doves, you can head shoot swans. Hevi-shot 6s is preferred choice for me, but that's because my gun patterns them well.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Coot is correct, try and head shoot them where they’re most vulnerable. But truth is they are not the smartest of fowl and if you’re patient, especially when field hunting, you can literally set them down on top of you- and kill them with most anything. But because you never can be sure you’ll get those type shots, triple B’s or larger will work well in steel loads and any of the true Heavy/Hevi stuff at 13 grns/cc in 6’s or bigger will do the job.

NWNCmike

Eight Pointer
And what about choke? Is modified adequate or should I go tighter?
Also: Thanks everyone for your reply.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And what about choke? Is modified adequate or should I go tighter?
Also: Thanks everyone for your reply.
If at all possible pattern your gun and make that choice for yourself. I have one gun that shoots the heavi-shot considerably tighter than my others with more open chokes so it does vary by gun.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If I was going after one, I would contact Hawglips about some 1oz loads of TSS. I bet the 9's smoked that long neck. I would think 6's or 7's would put a hurting on them.

Dang right they would!!! I have some 28 gauge 1oz tss 7’s I loaded just for swans but it doesn’t look like I’m gonna get down east to shoot one. 2nd year in a row I’ve drawn a tag and not been able to go.

I’ve killed 6 swans. 2 with a 10 gauge and 4 with a 12. T’s always work d best for me but the last swan I killed was before the heavy shot had really got on the market

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
I shot a swan this past weekend with TSS 7.5’s. Most of the pellets passed through the body cavity at 57yds

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
Of the 4-5 swans I have killed, all over decoys, T shot and improved cylinder in a 12 gauge worked well in that setup.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Old box of Remington Hevishot 6 was my poison on Monday. 1 shot to head/neck and down he came. Now, to solve the pride thing - there were also 3 shots on a swan before that, all behind. I knew better, but still wasn't leading enough. Those big birds are moving a lot faster than they appear.