Federals new turkey shells for 2018

PG2

Ten Pointer
Both patterns are good and the turkey is dead....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
i must be having trouble seeing as well cause i thought the 665 was much better. :)

You have to look at the 20 inch circle to see where the .670 makes the difference 223 compared to 516 not even close I'm taking the .670. the 10 inch are close enough in pellet count. And your talking difference of 507 pellets to 784 in 20 inch circle really no contest. Truth is that top one with .665 isn't that impressive I don't need tss to get those results. And yes they will both stone dead kill turkeys I'm more just talking patterning/shooting performance. In looking forward to seeing what they will compare to other loads if they will ever get here 3 more weeks or so looking like

dhsten

Ten Pointer
You have to look at the 20 inch circle to see where the .670 makes the difference 223 compared to 516 not even close I'm taking the .670. the 10 inch are close enough in pellet count. And your talking difference of 507 pellets to 784 in 20 inch circle really no contest. Truth is that top one with .665 isn't that impressive I don't need tss to get those results. And yes they will both stone dead kill turkeys I'm more just talking patterning/shooting performance. In looking forward to seeing what they will compare to other loads if they will ever get here 3 more weeks or so looking like
I think that is sayin 517 total pellets in the 20” circle combined. Saying 269 in th 10” plus 248 in the 10”-20”. That’s pretty good performance for a 1 3/4oz load.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
i must be having trouble seeing as well cause i thought the 665 was much better. :)
Not sure but I think that the 20 inch circle totals on both targets are only 9 pellets different and 16 pellets different in the 10 inch circles.
I do not have a good screen to count pellets but they look very similar overall with the 665 a little tighter in the 10" circle and the 670 with more pellets in the 20" circle.
Def not 784 pellets on either target, by my count they are close enough to be called a tie at +/- 510 pellets in a 20" circle.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How tight of a pattern diameter do ya’ll look for with TSS at say 25 yards?
The beauty of the TSS is you dont have to choke it as tight as lead to get it to pattern at 40. That said in my 12 gauge shooting 9's the pattern is about a 14" circle at 25 with a really hot core.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Most 20 yd TSS patterns are 8-10" wide. People look at the very dense 10" core at 40 yds and forget how many pellets are in the 10-20" ring. Take the above numbers as an example. 248 pellets in the 10-20" ring - that's more pellets than what is in an entire 1-3/4 oz load of lead 4s....

And that's on top of what's in the 10" core. So, that pattern with 269 in the 10" and another 248 in the 10-20" - with the penetration of those TSS 9s being on par with lead 4s - it's equivalent to having a 3-3/4 oz load of lead 4s in a 20" circle at 40 yds..... :eek:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You have to look at the 20 inch circle to see where the .670 makes the difference 223 compared to 516 not even close

You're reading it wrong. They reported the 20" circles differently.

Top - - - .665 : 10"= 284, 20"= 507 (total)
Bottom - .670 : 10"= 268, 20"= 516 (total)

I wouldn't spit over the difference. .665 is a little tighter, and thus has more of it's pellets concentrated in the 10" circle. The .670 has fewer in the 10 and more (than the .665) in the 20" band.

Last edited:

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
Most 20 yd TSS patterns are 8-10" wide. People look at the very dense 10" core at 40 yds and forget how many pellets are in the 10-20" ring. Take the above numbers as an example. 248 pellets in the 10-20" ring - that's more pellets than what is in an entire 1-3/4 oz load of lead 4s....

And that's on top of what's in the 10" core. So, that pattern with 269 in the 10" and another 248 in the 10-20" - with the penetration of those TSS 9s being on par with lead 4s - it's equivalent to having a 3-3/4 oz load of lead 4s in a 20" circle at 40 yds..... :eek:

I have been reloading with your TSS and recipes for a couple seasons now and am very pleased with the results and patterns. I had never shot on paper at close ranges until yesterday and my results are on par with your response. I was just curious due to the fact that I am shooting a .660 restriction Rhino out of a benelli and wanted to make sure my patterns were not overly tight. At 25 yds I am getting about a 15” diameter killing pattern with a few shot outside of that circle.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I can remember way back when, when I first realized that about TSS. It just hooked me on developing new ideas with it and then trying it out to see what it would do. And it's yet to disappoint me.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Rogers sporting goods has the Federal TSS loads in stock they are only place I know of that aren't backordered. They have free shipping on certain amt orders

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Seen cabelas has took the federal tss off site out of stock. Have heard of some getting theirs in mail just wonder if they'll get any more and how fast stores will sell out considering cabelas online sold out while on backorder. Also noticed Rogers is out of 410 20 and 3 inch 12.

Last edited:

csmacken

Four Pointer
I just got my Fed TSS 3 in 12 g in 7 and 9 shot yesterday in the mail. Ordered from rogers end of last week. Surprised they were still in stock

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just bought some 3" 12s from Cabellas.

I did too, since they had them in stock.

Hawglips, can you post up the distance for adequate penetration again for #7 and #9 TSS going ~1200 fps?

I tried to find that thread where you had posted that info a few months back, but I couldn't find it.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I did too, since they had them in stock.

Hawglips, can you post up the distance for adequate penetration again for #7 and #9 TSS going ~1200 fps?

I tried to find that thread where you had posted that info a few months back, but I couldn't find it.

Off top of my head, over 75 yards with 9's and over 100 yards with 7's.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Funny 2 days ago Cabelas said out stock now they say in stock yet I ordered over month ago and mine still backordered. Looking forward to seeing how that new wad works in my IC choke hope their testing is true

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Ok guys I have another question on chokes for my Browning Gold now that I have some of these shells on the way. I bought the number 9 shot by the way. I currently shoot a Rhino .670 but I also have the factory chokes that came with the gun. What do y'all suggest I start with?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would start with that .670 that is what my IC is that is tight as I'd want to get. It would be between factory full and that .670 my guess is you'll get good patterns out of both I'm a Rhino fan I would start there

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I would try the what ya had and if those don’t work out, I bet a .680 Carlson’s would do the trick. Works in my Gold.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got an email saying mine shipped today. I am afraid to pattern them at the cost per shell.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Which round had you ordered?

I ordered the 3" 7's. I haven't had the greatest luck out of my Browning BPS. Think it's more my shooting, but then again I haven't got a bird in range yet to have to worry about either, lol.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I can understand dcp. I think the best advise is keep at it on calling and set-up. Don't buy into the notion of more gun and more shell to shoot further away. There is much more reward from getting a bird in close and making a clean kill than shoot and pray way over there.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Good advice given to you dpc just keep plugging away be on land that has birds and it'll all come together. Just curious why go with 7's instead of 9. It doesvstink on cost but got to know where hitting what choke you got in there

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^ Invector Plus Extra full. It does ok with the federal 7's heaveys so just figured I'd start there and when those don't work buy the 9's I suppose.

I had $40 gift card I needed to use up. I should of recorded my conversation when wife was doing check book: went something like this.

What did you buy at Cabelas?

I bought some turkey shells I had to use up a gift card.

So what did you spend $31 on the debit card for?

Oh I got two boxes, there's only 5 in a box.

You spent $70 on 10 f.ing bullets?

Last edited: