Federals new turkey shells for 2018

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
according to the flyer I got in the mail today, they are already at discount prices at cabelas!

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Bought a few boxes online today. Said ships in 2-4 weeks. Looking to compare thier .410 load to Hal’s.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Too pricey for me ......though they do peak my interest.

Until the turkeys start complaining......i will use the same #5 “cheap as I can find” shells

Just have to call them in a little closer!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I guess that is the thing to me Scotty. I have probably 20 rounds around here of different lengths and loads that are 12 ga. that I'll never use. Probably more than enough to pay for at least a box of TSS. What you said it the whole thing to me..... call them in closer, because I have gone to a smaller gauge gun that is more fun to shoot now that the TSS is available. One box of that TSS will last me at least 2 years and maybe 3 sometimes. Doesn't seem too expensive when you look at it that way.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I got some ordered I'm pure sucker to test new shell will be comparing them to the Apex and Nitro loads gonna shoot all these out of Indian creek instead of my usual Rhino will sample a Jebs also

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess that is the thing to me Scotty. I have probably 20 rounds around here of different lengths and loads that are 12 ga. that I'll never use. Probably more than enough to pay for at least a box of TSS. What you said it the whole thing to me..... call them in closer, because I have gone to a smaller gauge gun that is more fun to shoot now that the TSS is available. One box of that TSS will last me at least 2 years and maybe 3 sometimes. Doesn't seem too expensive when you look at it that way.

Yep I bought about 6 different boxes of shells 10 years ago or so.....patterned shotgun with them.....used the best ones then the 2nd best....so on.....getting down to the last box or so.....maybe some TSS after these are gone. I rarely shoot one that is over 20 yards anyway....killed mine at 5 yards last year.....kind of the challenge now is just to see how close I can get him. The thrill is calling them in and sweet talking them.....the kill is nice but not necessary for complete satisfaction .....IMO

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

This.... Considering all of my other expenses, including traveling 160 miles round trip each time I hunt, $7 or $8 for a shell that I can depend on to get the job done is well spent.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Some people like me just enjoy the patterning board has nothing to do with buying latest greatest hunting item can shoot all year long spring is way to short

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Does TSS take a special choke other then the one you can shoot heavy shot though?

No. Lots of chokes handle it well. But the new Federal shells with that new more flexible FCW - the jury hasn't convened on them yet.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
spell that out for me Hal.

what issue does the fcw present?

The old FCW was very finicky with chokes especially the ported ones or any ones that had wad strippers due to how rigid it was. The new FCW is supposed to be more flexible and a blend of the FCW technology and the old faithfull federal wad used before the FCW. I think the only thing Hal is saying is that the new FCW hasn't been tested enough yet to say one way or the other on how easy it will be to get it to shoot out of all chokes like the majority of his loads do well.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I was wondering about the chokes also. I hunt with a Browning Gold that I sent to Rhino in Florida where they did some modifications upgrades, including porting the barrel. I don't know if I can shoot the TSS loads and if so, what shot sizes would you all recommend?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I was wondering about the chokes also. I hunt with a Browning Gold that I sent to Rhino in Florida where they did some modifications upgrades, including porting the barrel. I don't know if I can shoot the TSS loads and if so, what shot sizes would you all recommend?

9's if gun will handle.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

9 is all you need and don't choke it to tight kinda have to get out that lead/hevi thought. Took off my .665 and I have couple .670's I'm trying

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
spell that out for me Hal.

what issue does the fcw present?

Well see as soon as they get here gonna try with jebs rhino and Indian creek so ill know if they'll shoot out of ported then i like federal they do good job so my guess is they'll work just finev

dhsten

Ten Pointer

What is diameter of Rhino choke? I would go with a .680 Carlson’s in your Browning Gold or a .696 Browning extra full trap special.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Thanks for all of the information guys. The Rhino choke I have now is a 670. I have been shooting the magnum blend 3 1/2s. The Gun is a killer for sure. I am just intrigued by the idea of getting away from some of that recoil.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for all of the information guys. The Rhino choke I have now is a 670. I have been shooting the magnum blend 3 1/2s. The Gun is a killer for sure. I am just intrigued by the idea of getting away from some of that recoil.
Hawglips has a 2 3/4" 1 3/4 oz load of #9 that is a pleasure to shoot out of the 12 gauge

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

3 1/2" MB out of a .665, and I have had the same thought. Looking at the 3", 1 3/4 oz. #9's.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Here are some of first patterns I have saw from Fed 3” tss
b0ce0b2f9df9278421f8ab48f7359992.jpg
755f5cbe10324c539e8481551968ba55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Couldn't see yardage on that top pattern I'm assuming it was 40 like lower one that .665 wasn't that impressive have heard several comments about that being to much shot to push through for some the more impressive patterns. That .670 was better from what I can see having little trouble seeing on this screen

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Couldn't see yardage on that top pattern I'm assuming it was 40 like lower one that .665 wasn't that impressive have heard several comments about that being to much shot to push through for some the more impressive patterns. That .670 was better from what I can see having little trouble seeing on this screen

i must be having trouble seeing as well cause i thought the 665 was much better. :)