Federals new turkey shells for 2018

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks, Hevi. What length barrel, if you don't mind. I'm amazed at your group in comparison to mine. I'm shooting the 9's in a 3" 11-87 with a 21" barrel and the IC BDS .665 and only getting about 200 pellets at 50 yds (which I'm happy with). The only .675 I've shot the TSS in is the REM Super full that came with the gun, and it did poorly. I'm just wondering if a longer barrel could be making the difference. I know the 3.5" has more pellets, but DANG that's a good group!

It's 24".

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks, Hevi. What length barrel, if you don't mind. I'm amazed at your group in comparison to mine. I'm shooting the 9's in a 3" 11-87 with a 21" barrel and the IC BDS .665 and only getting about 200 pellets at 50 yds (which I'm happy with). The only .675 I've shot the TSS in is the REM Super full that came with the gun, and it did poorly. I'm just wondering if a longer barrel could be making the difference. I know the 3.5" has more pellets, but DANG that's a good group!

Yeah, mine was 275 @ 40 with the IC BDS (3" 9's), so probably close to what you were seeing, but nowhere near what he posted. Different shell and shorter barrel is what I would guess.

It's ok with me though, at any respectable range, it's gonna be putting a hurting on them. Unless you're shooting them at 75+ yards, I don't think there's a functional difference.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was surprised when I shot the Indian Creek.670 with number 9 the pattern completely blew I used the Rhino .660 and had 250ish at 55 yards the IC wasn't even huntable at 40 its a quality choke but my shell gun didn't like it Remm. 870 and federal 9

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was surprised when I shot the Indian Creek.670 with number 9 the pattern completely blew I used the Rhino .660 and had 250ish at 55 yards the IC wasn't even huntable at 40 its a quality choke but my shell gun didn't like it Remm. 870 and federal 9

That's a head scratcher for sure. You just don't know until you try it in your own combo.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
So it seems like the general consensus is going with a less restrictive choke for say the #9

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk