Federals new turkey shells for 2018

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
When developing the new shotshells, Federal Premium’s engineers set out to create loads using small TSS pellets in 12- and 20-gauge and .410 that rival what handloaders have achieved. Offerings include 3-inch 12-gauge loads with 1 3/4 ounces of No. 7 or No. 9 TSS shot; 3 1/2-inch 12-gauge loads with 2 1/4 ounces of No. 7 or No. 9 shot; a 3-inch 20-gauge load with 1 1/2 ounces of No. 7 shot; and a 3-inch .410 load with 13/16 ounce of No. 9 shot. There’s also a lower-recoil 20-gauge option with 1 1/2 ounces of No. 9 shot pushed at 1,000 fps.

So 12, 20 and 410. No 16 or 28

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Some Federal TSS prices

HEAVYWEIGHT TSS , .410 3-inch 13/16-ounce, 9 shot 1100 fps $29.95

HEAVYWEIGHT TSS 20 3-inch 1 ½-ounce, 7 shot 1000 fps $29.95

HEAVYWEIGHT TSS 20 3-inch 1 ½-ounce, 7 shot 1200 fps $35.95

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Think about it wildman

Nothing to think about.

Only pure tss will be offered in 410

Everything else is 20 and 12 and 10 gauges.

Anyway now kids have a real viable 410 load from Federal

Last edited:

gobbler

Eight Pointer
wow there even roll crimping the tss loads, 7's are huge for tss though, and they are selling it cheaper than what i can hand load them, with a flitecontrol wad!

and you can measure spurs with the ruler on the shell these will sell out fast

gobbler

Eight Pointer
it does scare me though with shells this lethal available to everyone, if i had been shot with tss i wouldnt be here

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Good point there gobbler. I ain't going anywhere 'cept at home.

Maybe most folks will think it is hype and won't spend the dollars for it.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
it does scare me though with shells this lethal available to everyone, if i had been shot with tss i wouldnt be here

Well in NC buckshot and slugs are legal for turkeys as well. So legally someone can use tss buckshot for turkey.

gobbler

Eight Pointer
dont think that doesnt cross my mind every time i sit down, everytime i hear anything behind me and sometimes for no reason at all

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I need some TSS in .410 for the spring, and this might be the easiest option if I can find it in stock somewhere. When will it be available?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dont think that doesnt cross my mind every time i sit down, everytime i hear anything behind me and sometimes for no reason at all

thats why I almost always carry a 2x3 ft blaze orange panel with me when hunting,,,,and always when hunting public,,,I hear or see something like a person I pull that bad boy out,,,,have moved many a person on along from me that didn't know I was in the area,,,,

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I just called Federal to inquire about availability of the .410 TSS. They said it is set for production this month and should be in stores mid February baring any production glitches. Sorry..... didn't ask about any of the big stuff.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Probably 5 rounds for about $30 I think. Dang....... again, I"m talking .410, what I shooot. 3.5 in 12 ga., around $10/round.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll be sure to pick up some in .410. This will be a good option for folks who have older 2 3/4" guns too. Previously, Federal Heavyweight was the best commercially available, but this will be even better.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I just called Federal to inquire about availability of the .410 TSS. They said it is set for production this month and should be in stores mid February baring any production glitches. Sorry..... didn't ask about any of the big stuff.

Reckon that'll mean Sportsman's Warehouse or maybe even Dick's? I'm sure Cabelas will have them but that's on the way to Raleigh for me.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I order just about everything now if it is of a specific nature. I am almost always disappointed in the ammo selection at the box stores. Even the better ones - Bass Pro, Cabelas, Academy, etc.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
cabela's has these listed for sale. of course they are back ordered.

just give dhsten or hawglips a call. they are not backordered. even i can kill them with their loads. LOL.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
If you like the Federal Heavyweight for turkeys you’d better stock up. They are discontinuing the HW in favor of the TSS load.