Arkansas trip questions?

TrpD345

Four Pointer
I am taking my son on a trip to Arkansas January 15th and 16th. What are some places that we should visit, see or do while we are not hunting? We will be driving from the Piedmont area of NC to Stuttgart and then Pocahontas. Any suggestions? We plan to visit Mack's.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
You could spend all day in Mack's....be prepared to spend some money if you stop by. Good luck!

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Go through Memphis and make sure you see the BassPro Pyramid thing. Get some good Memphis style BBQ then make sure you are out of town by dark - parts of that town are shoot me scary. Head down to Stuttgart and see Mack's (about an 1 or 1 1/2 of entertainment) then next door to RNT calls. Then down Main Street to see the famouse Riceland grain elevators, then keep going south to KWAK radio station. Then turn around and leave (unless you want to go see WalMart, fast food and such on south end of town).

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The pyramid is pretty cool. We rescheduled our trip from this past week to about when your going due to weather

labman63

Ten Pointer
I'll be there from the 3rd til the end. Reports now are not good at our place but I'm going because it only take a day to change. Not much to see in Arkansas. you will see fields full of geese which is pretty cool to watch sometimes. When I say full I mean 10's of thousands in one field.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Stuttgart and that whole Grand Prairie region is the flattest place I’ve ever seen. Makes Eastern NC look like the mountains. The paint on the roads is the closest thing to a hill you’ll see...........

CBD21

Eight Pointer
The pyramid in Memphis is cool, bbq in Memphis rendezvous and central are good but rendezvous is my favorite. Then like everyone else said Mack’s is a must see. Other then that not to much to look at other then birds in the fields. I’ll be back out the 11th through the 15th. Birds have been slow but starting to show back up some. We killed 185 in the first 5 days of season the week of thanksgiving then they went stale.

backwater

Button Buck
If ya go through Bald Knob, heading to Pocahontas, stop at Bayou market and get a Poor Boy. Real good food. It's about 15 minutes from Henry Gray Hurricane Lake WMA. I spent the past 16 years hunting Hurricane and ate there about every time.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The pyramid in Memphis is cool, bbq in Memphis rendezvous and central are good but rendezvous is my favorite. Then like everyone else said Mack’s is a must see. Other then that not to much to look at other then birds in the fields. I’ll be back out the 11th through the 15th. Birds have been slow but starting to show back up some. We killed 185 in the first 5 days of season the week of thanksgiving then they went stale.

I hit the Rendezvous last summer when I was in Memphis and it wasn't worth squat. Desk guy at the hotel said it had changed owners and no one was liking it.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I hit the Rendezvous last summer when I was in Memphis and it wasn't worth squat. Desk guy at the hotel said it had changed owners and no one was liking it.

That’s a shame it used to be really good, last couple trips we have ate central bbq on the way out and it’s been good especially the wings.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
That’s a shame it used to be really good, last couple trips we have ate central bbq on the way out and it’s been good especially the wings.

Heck, it used to be the best in town. Last time I was there the ribs were "chewy" and not near as flavorful as before. I even went back a second night later in the week thinking they were just having an off night but they were the same the second time around, chewy... Last time for me...

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Heck, it used to be the best in town. Last time I was there the ribs were "chewy" and not near as flavorful as before. I even went back a second night later in the week thinking they were just having an off night but they were the same the second time around, chewy... Last time for me...

Well dang, saves me from stopping there thanks.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns

Tried them several years ago - terrible. They dry rub their ribs - AFTER they come off the smoker. Makes no sense and wasn’t good.

I go to Arkansas every year. Stop at the BPS in Memphis, find a cool little blues place around to eat, then leave. Don't get caught in Memphis at night. Knoxville and Nashville have nice places right off of 40 to stop and eat. The bypass around Nashville is nice if you were going during football season for the Titans or around bowl season. I went through Nashville on my way home last year the night that UT won the bowl game in Nashville, that was INSANE! Arkansas is a pretty flat place and you won't see much but fields and thousands of birds. Roll down your windows and listen to the snows/specks. Keep binoculars in your truck at all times close. Mack's is cool once but it can get very old. RNT is a good stop for a hand-tuned call. I haven't been back since it burned. Arkansas roads are terrible also, so expect a bumpy ride. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

labman63

Ten Pointer
I went back the 6th. Killed 2 ducks in 3 days so I went to Oklahoma for 4 days and got on them pretty good. shot mallards,pintails, widgeon and gadwall. Came back to Ark and it had froze up again so I came home for 5 or 6 days. Heading back out Saturday or sunday.