New Shotgun

From many in the online community, this is normal and once you learn where it shoots, they have grown to like it or so the ones I have spoken with have told me. Makes since if you ask me, but I imagine getting adjusted could take some time.

Yeah that's what I was reading also, just can't figure out why they would produce such a nice high $ shotgun that patterns high!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah that's what I was reading also, just can't figure out why they would produce such a nice high $ shotgun that patterns high!
That is the scourge of Benelli is their failure to pattern at POI. some will and many won't. I had a M2 20 gauge that hit dead nuts. Had a friend that had one in 12 gauge that was a mile off. They don't all hit high or low, some are left or right. And Benelli isn't just exactly receptive to doing anything about it.

I had a friend that bought one and he sent it back 4 times. It never changed, but he was an attorney and he finally got their attention.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
That is the scourge of Benelli is their failure to pattern at POI. some will and many won't. I had a M2 20 gauge that hit dead nuts. Had a friend that had one in 12 gauge that was a mile off. They don't all hit high or low, some are left or right. And Benelli isn't just exactly receptive to doing anything about it.

I had a friend that bought one and he sent it back 4 times. It never changed, but he was an attorney and he finally got their attention.

Had a M2 20 gauge and poi was perfect. But the vent rib fell off the barrel 3 separate time after getting it back from benelli and the gun would jam if you looked at it hard. Last time I got it back from benelli, rep assured me it would never happen again and they had found the issue”.....I said “that’s a d@m fact because I’m selling this piece of $h!t”. I sold the gun for dirt cheap because I just couldn’t stand the thought of taking that much money for something that may or may not work. Best part was; when I asked the rep what the issue had been, she said “I’m sorry sir, we’re not allowed to disclose that information”. I just laughed and hung up the phone.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a M2 20 gauge and poi was perfect. But the vent rib fell off the barrel 3 separate time after getting it back from benelli and the gun would jam if you looked at it hard. Last time I got it back from benelli, rep assured me it would never happen again and they had found the issue”.....I said “that’s a d@m fact because I’m selling this piece of $h!t”. I sold the gun for dirt cheap because I just couldn’t stand the thought of taking that much money for something that may or may not work. Best part was; when I asked the rep what the issue had been, she said “I’m sorry sir, we’re not allowed to disclose that information”. I just laughed and hung up the phone.
Mine never gave me one ounce of trouble. I bought it slightly used and I used the crap out of it for about 10 years when I was squirrel dogging hard. It got used for beating brush and briers, dropped in mud and water and I can't say one bad word about it.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Mine never gave me one ounce of trouble. I bought it slightly used and I used the crap out of it for about 10 years when I was squirrel dogging hard. It got used for beating brush and briers, dropped in mud and water and I can't say one bad word about it.

I will never own another benelli but I have never picked one up and shouldered it that it didn’t fit and handle extremely well. Kinda like a woman with an incredible body that’s bat$h!t crazy:):):):)

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
hunted in some cold temps today!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we shot 3 limits no issues with my stoeger m3000 other than the modified limb saver catching on my jacket..........switched back to factory condition, i will report back.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Ok.....seriously I have the opportunity to hunt a lot more than most here on the ne coast. The sound is my back door......why would anyone ever need a 3.5 “ shell to kill a duck?????!!! Waste of money if you ask me.

Amen brother!!! why would anyone want to abuse themselves with a 3 1/2"? Duck hunting in NC simply does not require it. I think they adversely affect your shooting because you anticipate recoil. in addition they encourage Jr's to skybust.
Maybe if you are hunting geese in a Kansas field and the geese just will not decoy well.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I will never own another benelli but I have never picked one up and shouldered it that it didn’t fit and handle extremely well. Kinda like a woman with an incredible body that’s bat$h!t crazy:):):):)

They remind me of the browning b2000 and browning silvers. That slight hump. Ive never owned one. Ive shot them at clays and doves. They just hit. The best feeling shotguns for me have been silver pigeons and benellis.

I shot a guys kreighoff and definitely have no need for one after shooting it. Id take an 870 over that. The fit forme was nonexistant.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
They remind me of the browning b2000 and browning silvers. That slight hump. Ive never owned one. Ive shot them at clays and doves. They just hit. The best feeling shotguns for me have been silver pigeons and benellis.

I shot a guys kreighoff and definitely have no need for one after shooting it. Id take an 870 over that. The fit forme was nonexistant.

The kreighoffs are usually fitted to the individuals needs who bought them so I wouldn’t necessarily expect a kreighoff to fit for everyone. You better believe if I’m dropping $20k on a new kreighoff, the stock will be matched to my LOP and drop exactly. Haha

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The kreighoffs are usually fitted to the individuals needs who bought them so I wouldn’t necessarily expect a kreighoff to fit for everyone. You better believe if I’m dropping $20k on a new kreighoff, the stock will be matched to my LOP and drop exactly. Haha

I was not crazy about anything involved with it. The action seemed very overly built. Its just not for me.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I was not crazy about anything involved with it. The action seemed very overly built. Its just not for me.

My wife knows my dream is a Blaser F3 20gauge. She even went so far this year on my Christmas presents to write “this is not a Blaser F3” on every name tag. :):):):):)

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
If you can find one get an HK stamped Benelli M1. I have the one that my dad got when they were first imported and the gun has never missed a beat.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

Its like a custom made piece of clothing, they don't fit just anyone. They fit the guy that bought them. I agree with you at the
Was it a competition trap (or other competition) gun? Those things ARE way overbuilt, but they have to be to stand up to the volume they handle.
Amen brother!!! why would anyone want to abuse themselves with a 3 1/2"? Duck hunting in NC simply does not require it. I think they adversely affect your shooting because you anticipate recoil. in addition they encourage Jr's to skybust.
Maybe if you are hunting geese in a Kansas field and the geese just will not decoy well.

I won't buy 3.5 inch shells if I can avoid it (maybe for goose hunting)...But neither will I buy a gun that won't digest them. I don't want to be sharing a blind with someone that has them, and have my shells go overboard or whatever, or need them late the night before the hunt and the best option Wal Mart has is 3.5 inchers, etc...

Last edited:

bpitcher

Button Buck
I've always been a big fan of the SBE, they have never given me problems even when hunting in sloppy rice fields in Texas and Arkansas.

I recently shot one of the new A5s and was very impressed. The gun shouldered and swung very well for me. The owner said it has been very reliable.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Get a Mossberg 500 or a remington 870. 1500$ shotguns are silly. I can't afford one either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ditchbank

Banned
I have Maxus right now and I love it. I was looking at the new ones they have with the cerakote finish on the wicked wing editions. Only problem is I can’t find those anywhere. I’d like something with that finish since most of the hunting I do is down at the coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have them in stock at Four Seasons in Goldsboro.

ditchbank

Banned
Statements like that are silly.

I agree a 1500 shotgun is silly if you only shoot during dove season and a few duck hunts but a cheap 400 Charles Daly probably will not hold a candle to these guns. These guns “maxus, A5, Benelli amd such” are made for thousands of rounds. And they are the cheaper guns made for real shotgunners.

beanlep

Six Pointer
I have to say I purchased a Stoeger M3500 after they fixed there ejecting problem and mine has never gave me any problem. I shoot 3.5" and can't tell they are 3.5". Shoots like 2 3/4" shells

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have to say I purchased a Stoeger M3500 after they fixed there ejecting problem and mine has never gave me any problem. I shoot 3.5" and can't tell they are 3.5". Shoots like 2 3/4" shells

Try that in a T-Shirt :D

I always thought the same thing. Then, one trip in ND (with 3 inch magnum shells) it hit 75 and I was wearing a T shirt. i was sore by the end of it.

beanlep

Six Pointer
Try that in a T-Shirt :D

I always thought the same thing. Then, one trip in ND (with 3 inch magnum shells) it hit 75 and I was wearing a T shirt. i was sore by the end of it.

Well now if you are a good enough shot you don't have to shoot as much and wont be as sore. HAHAHA

Yeah I dont think I would try it in a tshirt. LOL But I am a big guy with more padding.....:greenjump:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Im still shooting my M1 S90 HK
it is only 3". Was going last week to swan hunt and everyone talked about shootinv them and needing a 3.5" to do good.

I was told take em sat so I did. They were thinking the two swans were too high. Hit him with the first shot then a quick follow up to bring him down for sure.
All I had was federal Tungsten 2 3/4" but it knocked it down.
Glad I did not get another shotgun.

labman63

Ten Pointer
I am on my 2nd SX 3. Sold the first one and bought a Versa Max after shoulder surgery (softest autoloader recoil out there in my opinion) Went back to SX3 last year. As for not needing 3.5 shells,try hunting in a rice field blind late season and every bird skirts you at 50/60 yards because every time they fly close to one someone shoots at them(same for calling) One blind we hunt we usually put closest decoy at about 40 yrds. Probably gonna buy a SX 4 for next season. I shoot about 2 cases of 3.5's a year and this gun will hold up and not knock the snot out of you but it will the ducks. BTw it will be for sale after Jan28th

the sarge

Six Pointer
Another vote for the A400 Extreme here. I bought one last year And killed 6 ducks within a week of getting it. Then spent the off season seeing how dirty I could get it. Come dove season and probably 500 skeet shells later I still was shooting with no problems and not cleaning it. I cleaned it before duck season this year and so far all I've done is wipe it down since the start. I hunt a lot from my kayak and it gets wet with salt water quite frequently. I have taken it apart and inspected it but purpousfuly not cleaned it to test the anti-corrosion coating it has. It works. Also this thing shoots amazing. 3 1/2 number 4 shot feels like trap loads with my 500. I love this gun and see a lot of hard use in its future.

Oh and why buy a 1500 dollar gun? Because you can and it's awesome. My 500 killed ducks and still does for my daughter. But my Beretta is the cream of the crop duck gun and it shows every time I shoot it.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
I've always been a big fan of the SBE, they have never given me problems even when hunting in sloppy rice fields in Texas and Arkansas.....snipe.

Agree, SBE has been a real dependable workhorse for me.

As far as cheap and reliable, I bought a Baikal/EAA 3.5" almost 20 years ago. Built like any Russian gun, poor wood to metal fit, rough finish, but dependable. SEMO/ARK rice/mud gumbo never slowed it down. Took it back to the hotel room each night and cleaned it in the shower. Dried it, oiled it and back to the field the next day.
Still ugly, still cheap looking, still reliable.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I am on my 2nd SX 3. Sold the first one and bought a Versa Max after shoulder surgery (softest autoloader recoil out there in my opinion) Went back to SX3 last year. As for not needing 3.5 shells,try hunting in a rice field blind late season and every bird skirts you at 50/60 yards because every time they fly close to one someone shoots at them(same for calling) One blind we hunt we usually put closest decoy at about 40 yrds. Probably gonna buy a SX 4 for next season. I shoot about 2 cases of 3.5's a year and this gun will hold up and not knock the snot out of you but it will the ducks. BTw it will be for sale after Jan28th

I’ve been really impressed with my sx3 20 gauge. It’s my “go to” duck gun.