Cool Mtn Bear Hunt

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Back when I ran dogs, I hunted around Roy Clark and his late father Hugh L Clark. They'd come up and hunt in Western North Carolina, around the 12 mile area in between their Tennessee season. Where the video was shot is Laurel mtn in eastern Tennessee which is not far from me.
This illustrates the way I was taught to bear hunt. Don't have to worry about private land run ins, just keep the dogs out of the USPS. Brings back some great memories.
https://youtu.be/pKHGf3ZqaXE

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw this the other day. Great video of one of the most well thought of Plott men around. I’ve watched it at least 3 times.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for sharing

Gonna be interesting next year when the bear and deer seasons are overlapped.

Plottdog

Six Pointer
Roy and Hugh L. Used to come down and hunt with us back in the early 90's they showed me what a real bear dog was all about.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Thanks for sharing

Gonna be interesting next year when the bear and deer seasons are overlapped.

I don't see it being much of a problem,deal with it all the time during the eastern season mostly with deer dog hunters.The few times I have had to deal with deer hunters in stands had them join right in the hunt with us of course that has always been on leased club land or private land we had permission to hunt on.What happens on public land may be different but if everybody acts like grown men there should not be a problem.I did put a small bear up a tree a still hunter was in one time got very interesting for him for awhile bear was between him and the ground but everything was good when we got there and pulled the dogs off the tree and let the little thing get down,gentleman said it was the biggest rush he had ever got while hunting anything.He started hunting with me that day and continues to do so to this day.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
On public land there well could be problems

There was in the past hence separate seasons

Southside

Ten Pointer
Could be problems but the dog bear season in the mountains has coincided with deer bow season for a long time now. I'm sure there has been an issue somewhere but in general thing I've never known of any issues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Well for years the bear hunting community in the mtns has been adamant the gun seasons should not overlap on game lands where they run dogs.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I remember Hugh L and the Tennessee boys very well. I used to hunt the 12 mile strip and Sterling with Earl Parkins, Sammy Ferguson, and that bunch back in the day.