How much Corn did you put out

Gilly

Ten Pointer
Is there a reason you are still feeding the deer large quantities of corn after the season is over? I have read that corn is not nutritionally good for deer so I wouldn't think long term feeding is good for your herd.

I consider it supplemental feeding to educate the deer that there is usually always food around. They are not primarily eating just the corn. Plenty of browse and acorns still around too. 600lbs of corn is only 12 bags, which is 6 bags spread in two opposites areas on a 150 acre parcel. Is that considered too much corn to be spread once a month? Plus everyone else that hunts around me is not throwing out corn anymore. I draw in deer now through March that I have never seen before and maybe they might remember that there is food/does during the rut/late season next year. If I could plant several acres of food plots I would but my little 1/4 acre plot that I chain-sawed out of the woods is down to the dirt. Planning on creating a new plot this offseason to create more browse as well.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I put out 45 bags. In a normal year I use 100-125 bags for 14 stands. Didn't have a couple of people hunting much this past year, so I cut my baited stands down. Still used some of the other for natural travel.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Turkey's are federal protected birds I don't know about ducks

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

omg3.jpg

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Do turkeys and ducks feed at night (foiling hunters)? Or are they limited to day time feeding?
This ^. The birds are only active during hunting hours. They're much more vulnerable. At least that's part of the answer.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
This ^. The birds are only active during hunting hours. They're much more vulnerable. At least that's part of the answer.

But the limit is the limit

2 birds regardless of how legally taken

Last edited:

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dumped another 50 lbs of corn today; and about 5 lbs of sunflower seed for the birds - lots of critters looking hand outs around here.

Last edited:

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
But the limit is the limit

2 birds regardless of how legally taken

That's certainly one way to look at it. the douchebag way of turkey hunting. Lots of douches in Kansas. Go hunt gobblers over corn there.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That's certainly one way to look at it. the douchebag way of turkey hunting. Lots of douches in Kansas. Go hunt gobblers over corn there.

Got no interest in hunting turkeys over corn.

Texas and Florida also allow hunting near bait.

Back to the original topic

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have a lease that I consider turkeys to be pests. They are corn vacuums!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turn that boy loose during youth week. let him run around calling, dont let him hide in a blind. by the end of the week he should have those turkeys scared into the next county. and he'll have killed couple as well.

i can do the same thing for you during the season. LOL my high impact style will scare them to death.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
got the feeder going again in Harnett..... ;)
hoping to draw in some gobblers to the camera
and the bear that was seen around here Friday night 300 yards up the road.

Last edited: