Load your own sabots?

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I found these sabots that hold a 44 bullet. Can I stuff a 44 lead slug in them and run them through the Optima? Obviously, I don't know about the accuracy, but I'm talking safety to start with. I have a bunch of 200gr lead 44 on the shelf. Works well in 44 SPL, but concerned about leading in the magnum. Figured I would see how they run in the new gun.
https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-sabots-50-cal-sabots-only-for-44-cal-bullets-50-pk.html

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the green sabots with 240 gr XTP's but your 200 gr lead will be fine too...

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
You might want to wipe the lube off of those 200gr lead bullets [if they are lubed] since the lube may cause the sabot to stick to the bullet aftr it leaves the bore, causing a loss of accuracy.
I read this somewhere years ago and never used lubed lead bullets afterwards.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
You might want to wipe the lube off of those 200gr lead bullets [if they are lubed] since the lube may cause the sabot to stick to the bullet aftr it leaves the bore, causing a loss of accuracy.
I read this somewhere years ago and never used lubed lead bullets afterwards.

Thanks. I was wondering about that. I'm going to hit Ed's in Vass today and see what they have. I'm hoping to trade my 4 boxes of 150gr .308 Hornadys for some 44s.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I ended up picking up a bag of 44/50 sabots, a pound of pyrodex, and a box of 240gr Hornady 44 bullets. Now, I just need to figure out how much powder to start with. I've never used Pyrodex. Is it any different than blackpowder?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Pyrodex is a bit different but it works ok...The ignition temp is higher so it can be shipped with less paperwork and doesn't have to be stored in a safe as black powder does...Start with 80grs, shoot a 3 shot group, cleaning between each shot...Then go to 85grs, then 90grs...I'll bet one of them will group well...I've sighted in about a dozen this way using black powder and either my 300gr Hornadys or the other fellows 240grs Hornadys...I've always gotten a good group with either 80 or 85 grs...If you want to try 95 and 100grs go ahead but I don't really see it as necessary...Have fun!!!

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
The harvester Muzzleloading Crush Rib sabots work well. Another good source is Magnum Muzzleloading Products who have a big variety of sabots for different bore and bullet diameters and bullet styles. Most rifles will shoot best with something other than the prepackaged bullet/sabot combos as there are no bore diameter standards in the muzzleloading industry and bore diameters vary widely between manufacturers (like .497 to .508" for common makes). The best source I know of for muzzleloading load development info is at the muzzleloading section of chuckhawks.com (as a matter of full disclosure I have contributed some metallic cartridge reloading articles there....)

It is important to be very specific as to bullet diameter when picking sabots. A couple of thousandths of an inch change in sabot petal thickness or bullet diameter can be the difference between a bullet/sabot that falls down the barrel and one you have to seat with a 2 pound hammer. If you are using a typical .429" bullet for .44 Special/Magnum in a .50 rifle a good starting point is the MMP green sabot at $9/50 or the green Crushed Rib sabot at $9.49/50.

Most rifles seem to shoot best with bullet/sabot combos that need about 30-35 pounds seating pressure. If you have to fight the load down the barrel or it goes down with very little pressure try another sabot. Tight loading loads are a PITA and loose ones can be dangerous as a good jolt can move the load off of the compressed powder column and cause a "shot loaded" condition with the attendant risk of barrel damage or bursting.

And sabots harden with age, often with group size changes or more loading difficulties, so for the most consistent results you should use fresh sabots each season. I buy directly from MMP and Harvester to get the freshest sabots and because I want them to make a bit more of the sale price and to stay in business....

http://mmpsabots.com/store/green-sabot/

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading....-cal-crushed-rib-sabot-for-429-430-cal-bullet

Lance

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
Anyone know where I can get real BP? Around F-ville is preferred, but Wilmington area, Raleigh, Charlotte are also acceptable.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
If Bass Pro doesn't have it they will ship it to the store nearest you free....

Lance

ourway77

Button Buck
My experience lead bullets may be alright for plinking but I would use jacketed bullets for hunting especially for longer shots