PA flintlock

PG2

Ten Pointer
It’s almost here! By far my favorite deer season. I thank PA for being the only state to have a dedicated season for flintlocks. Is it crazy to wish for single digit highs and 6 to 8” of snow?? [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] I will be heading up the 5th of next month... excited to say the least!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG2

Ten Pointer
Day after Christmas through January 13th... what do you have to sell?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That flintlock season is cool. With the watering down of every primitive weapons season pretty much nationwide, that is one of the true holdouts.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
PA does have an early season where you can use any muzzleloader (including inlines).

For many years the flintlock season was patched round balls only as well but that eventually changed.

Don't even suggest legalizing open sighted percussion cap side lock guns during flintlock season. Not a popular idea up there.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That one is antlerless only.

Yes to increase the doe harvest.

But they implemented it to give people who wanted to use inlines and other types of muzzleloaders a season.

Kids and seniors and active duty military can use any legal firearm during that season as well.

The reason the flintlock season is after the gun buck season is that some hunters in 1970s when it was proposed and implemented claimed muzzleloader hunters might shoot too many bucks before gun season comes in.

PG2

Ten Pointer
Back in the 60's and early to mid 70's if you could not shoot a buck in the 2 week gun season there was something you were doing wrong.... They came out with the Flint Lock season as another way to control the doe herd.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Up to 1987 the limit was one deer a year in PA.

You can use your flintlock tag for either a buck or doe.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yep, I'm torn between hunting the decent 8-10 I've seen, hunting the waist sized rubs across the valley, or just shooting one of the yard doe. Going to be a hunt or two if I'm lucky using a buddies Xbow. Traditional FL allows Archery as well. Probably hunt the rub road near the house and leave the deer across the valley for next year.

PG2

Ten Pointer
Come on snow and cold!
a2eed53ab430e2fcee33205ced9984e8.jpg

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yep, Sat I'm going to try and get out again. Once it hits - it's just cold. I remember about a decade ago in Upstate NY it hit -30ish with windchill and our oil kept gelling and kicking out the furnace. That was a rough few weeks.

PG2

Ten Pointer
I can only imagine that is why we use a wood stove

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I'm new to the Coal thing but we have two Keystoker Direct Vents and two Heatpumps. The rest of the rooms have electric baseboards but we will be putting a fireplace insert in the formal LR so we don't run the heat pumps so much and also figuring out how to get rid of electric baseboards. It's only used as main heat for about 1000 sq ft of. space but we feel it in the electric bill. It's an attached rental so it won't be another Coal or wood. Considering trying to get an outside Coal Boiler commercial setup and just putting forced air in everywhere. I haven't seen any but Keystoker has a Commercial design option and Coal is cheap.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Long years ago when I was a kid living in top of Grandview Mountain we lived in a very modern home that was furnished by the church my dad pastored. It had a coal fired furnace in the basement which was fed by a screw driven apparatus from the below ground bin.
We never actually touched the coal except what we added to the wood burning fireplace.
I remember it being a great heatsource and I'm sure the technology has much improved from the early 70s.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I sure miss hunting the PA mountains of my youth!
Wish it was closer...Dad's family is from up there and wasn't too far from the DC area where he was stationed.