Head Boat/Charter Reccomendations

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
A group of us at work have talked about doing an office bottom fishing trip. Would we be better off hiring a charter boat or going out on Capt. Stacy/Carolina Princess? This would be the first fishing trip of any sort for a couple of my co workers so a rookie friendly boat would be best. Also what time of year should we plan for? I have been bottom fishing a few times and enjoyed it but am far from an expert.

Last edited:

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
On a six pack charter you’ll have a lot more fun without everyone else around the boat like on a head boat. The head boat is definitely cheaper.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Country Girl at Pirates Cove is licensed to carry up to 15 people for a trolling charter. I believe it is the only boat on our coast that has this license. Having some rookies that are just getting wet (so to speak), I would probably do a Carolina Princess trip at $100 each and I can assure you that the crew will be most helpful. Plus if they get sick $100 doesn't hurt as bad:fishing:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Country Girl at Pirates Cove is licensed to carry up to 15 people for a trolling charter. I believe it is the only boat on our coast that has this license. Having some rookies that are just getting wet (so to speak), I would probably do a Carolina Princess trip at $100 each and I can assure you that the crew will be most helpful. Plus if they get sick $100 doesn't hurt as bad:fishing:
Doghouse is licensed to carry more people as well but it would likely be more productive/enjoyable fishing on a different boat.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Doghouse is licensed to carry more people as well but it would likely be more productive/enjoyable fishing on a different boat.
I was not aware. I have never fished on Doghouse but I have been on Country Girl and always caught fish plus I know the crew is great. They also do bottom fishing trips for groups up to 27 I think.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
That is sort of what I was thinking. Giving the lack of experience of most of the folks I am thinking a head boat might be the best bet given the additional mates. We are staying on Harkers Island so we will probally be limited to a Morehead/Atlantic Beach boat. Between the Carolina Princess and Capt. Stacey which boat offers the best trip. Most of the folks couldn't care less what they catch as long as they are catching but I would like a decent shot at something other than small black bass and porgies Sorry for all the questions but it has been years since I have looked into a head boat trip. From what I have gathered from friends we need to either a full day or longer trip to get to decent wrecks.

Last edited:

redbow

Ten Pointer
Is this the same boat from Wicked Tuna? Can you expand on your comment. Just curious cause they seem like good folk on the show.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
If your talking about the doghouse yes it’s the same boat. A standard oupv (6-pack) liscense allows charters of up to 6 people on an uninspected passenger vessel up to 100tons within 100miles of the coast. If a captain is wanting the option of carrying more people out he is required to posses a masters liscense and have his boat inspected by the coast guard. The standard oupv requires basic safety gear. An inspected vessel will be required to habeen additional safety gear onboard.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
That is sort of what I was thinking. Giving the lack of experience of most of the folks I am thinking a head boat might be the best bet given the additional mates. We are staying on Harkers Island so we will probally be limited to a Morehead/Atlantic Beach boat. Between the Carolina Princess and Capt. Stacey which boat offers the best trip. Most of the folks couldn't care less what they catch as long as they are catching but I would like a decent shot at something other than small black bass and porgies Sorry for all the questions but it has been years since I have looked into a head boat trip. From what I have gathered from friends we need to either a full day or longer trip to get to decent wrecks.

Princess in my opinion. The fishing is about the same but the crew is just better and nicer.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Princess in my opinion. The fishing is about the same but the crew is just better and nicer.

I have had the opposite experience. Will never fish the princess again. I have fished headboats from the Florida Keys to Cape Hatteras and the princess would be one of my last choices.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I have had the opposite experience. Will never fish the princess again. I have fished headboats from the Florida Keys to Cape Hatteras and the princess would be one of my last choices.

More room for me I guess:eek:. I have caught a LOT of fish on that boat.

Last edited: