Is it time to move on??

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was lucky enough to see and get a shot on a mature buck on Dec. 9th. that I had never seen or got a pic of on my cameras. But after close to 20 hours of looking Im no closer to putting my hands on him. On Dec. 10th we checked all cameras to see if we had a pic of the new buck and found that my original target buck had returned. Even though I feel the other buck is dead and he would complete my buck tags. Is it time to get back in the tree??

Attachments

• 1210171251.jpg
    1210171251.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 814

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hard to say.....I shot a big 8 last yr on Dec 2 but lost him. Within 2 weeks I had 4 nice bucks move in. I took off to Florida for the week before Christmas. Should have been hunting. Out of those 4 bucks only 1 came back on my farm up in Rockingham county this year. He was the 10 ptr I got this year.
Keep hunting 😉 you never know what will show.
Down at the dog club, we got a new buck that just showed last week. You never know what is cruising around.

Last edited:

SM270

Ten Pointer
Stay on him Tommy or wait............ I know a guy that would love to wrap a tag around him haha!!!! You know my answer go get him and call me when you need help dragging.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your call but I would have been hunting the next day.. If I can't find him he ain't dead.. I will exhaust every effort to find one but when I can't find him, move on.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I move on pretty quick myself. I would have been in the stand the next day, maybe that afternoon if a morning hunt.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
If there are does in the area the bucks will travel for miles to come to them. they will either grow right there or they will travel. Kill what you want.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Id Tag him,,or let one of them nice guys that lease Harrington land get a go atem!!!

Just let me know when your ready to go. Its a ground stand where all pics came from. Yall are welcome to hunt both my tracts. Got a ground blind at house we just started hunting

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your call but I would have been hunting the next day.. If I can't find him he ain't dead.. I will exhaust every effort to find one but when I can't find him, move on.

x 2.

There comes a point where if he is dead ( and that is a big IF), he's probably somewhere you aren't going to find him.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
x 2.

There comes a point where if he is dead ( and that is a big IF), he's probably somewhere you aren't going to find him.

You are right. My plans are to wait on this cold front to move in so I can get closer to the area I believe my target buck has been bedding. Got a couple of 6:20 pm pics so he is either bedding in open woods or moving some during daylight

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After making a good effort to recover a shot deer and watching for vultures and crows without locating the shot deer I figure that's all that's required (perhaps more). I'd get on with the hunt and that new buck is a good place to begin.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After making a good effort to recover a shot deer and watching for vultures and crows without locating the shot deer I figure that's all that's required (perhaps more). I'd get on with the hunt and that new buck is a good place to begin.

I really appreciate all the input. Finally got a chance to hunt the last week. My target buck came in watching a hot doe. We really need to pay attention to the Rub line thread it helped me kill my best buck. They come back to there summer range. Best advice yet

Attachments

• 0102181019.jpg
    0102181019.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 271

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I really appreciate all the input. Finally got a chance to hunt the last week. My target buck came in watching a hot doe. We really need to pay attention to the Rub line thread it helped me kill my best buck. They come back to there summer range. Best advice yet

Congrats! What a beautiful buck. To single out and kill a mature buck in the late season is quite an accomplishment. Again, congratulations!

Nice buck!!! congrats!!! that corn in the background have any thing to do with the harvest ?? :D

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice buck!!! congrats!!! that corn in the background have any thing to do with the harvest ?? :D

Yea but I still believe the Rub Line thread led me to single out this stand to feed. The buck was bedding behind a group of houses. He began to rub a group of trees that led right to his bedding area. We normally park in between this houses and our stands. This particular day we parked on opposite end of lease and walked into a perfect wind. The corn pulled in the does and he came staight in. I have never targeted a buck and killed it. I believe it takes alot of luck but it helps to read what other experienced hunters have to say.

Yea but I still believe the Rub Line thread led me to single out this stand to feed. The buck was bedding behind a group of houses. He began to rub a group of trees that led right to his bedding area. We normally park in between this houses and our stands. This particular day we parked on opposite end of lease and walked into a perfect wind. The corn pulled in the does and he came staight in. I have never targeted a buck and killed it. I believe it takes alot of luck but it helps to read what other experienced hunters have to say.

Good deal, definitely sounds like you made the right move ... always keep the does happy and big things will come of it ..corn is a useful tool no doubt about that ... singling out a certain deer is definitely a challenge , especially a mature one and that's what keeps me motivated ..glad it worked out for ya !!! Congrats once again!!!