Now this is funny.....Carolina Sportsman fail

WLshutrbug

Button Buck
Mr. Gadget got it right

Not defending them or him....

Being it may have went to print over a month ago it could have got over looked.

That is what is going on now in this country....
Someone said a person did something they fire them
People are jumping in where they would not want to be placed.

You can be accused of something, be a suspect. ... But still not be found guilty or go to court.

ever hear innocent until proven guilty?
Look up the 6th amendment.

I know stories sent to many web sites -- particularly Carolina Sportsman -- often are delayed, depending on how many other stories are in front of a particular story. All stories queue up (get in a line)....if I were web guru, I'd put the largest bucks each week (or most interesting stories) near the head of the line...and I'd do a 'Search' for the hunter's name to be sure he/she hadn't been mentioned earlier as a poacher (anybody ever read about a female poacher? Jes' askin') ... if you knew how many stories a web editor must read, you'd prolly cut him some slack, too.

WLshutrbug

Button Buck
It's been decades since I bought a magazine to learn how to deer hunt... :)

Most writers simply are looking to write something that will bring in a paycheck, doesn't
mean there is a bit of truth to it...

...and hawk, you would know about motivations of writers how and your knowledge of liabel laws is how strong and gained through how much experience?....personal experience, knowing a writer, etc.? (if you actually know a newspaper or magazine writer, there's one true thing you can say about their finances....care to take a guess?)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I know stories sent to many web sites -- particularly Carolina Sportsman -- often are delayed, depending on how many other stories are in front of a particular story. All stories queue up (get in a line)....if I were web guru, I'd put the largest bucks each week (or most interesting stories) near the head of the line...and I'd do a 'Search' for the hunter's name to be sure he/she hadn't been mentioned earlier as a poacher (anybody ever read about a female poacher? Jes' askin') ... if you knew how many stories a web editor must read, you'd prolly cut him some slack, too.

I think I was cutting them some slack there big guy.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Seriously? That is a strange post tipmoose

Yep. The quality of advice and the truth underlying ones words does not necessarily depend on the quality of the person delivering those words. Take for instance the following:

"Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." - Josef Stalin

"History shows that there are no invincible armies and that there never have been." - Josef Stalin

"The best propaganda is that which, as it were, works invisibly, penetrates the whole of life without the public having any knowledge of the propagandistic initiative." - Joseph Goebbels

"It would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and a psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words, and words can be molded until they clothe ideas and disguise" - Joseph Goebbels

"Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play." - Joeseph Goebbels

All of those quotes are 100% accurate in what they reflect. The fact that they were spoken by mass murders is inconsequential. The truth behind those words, and thus the quality of the message they convey, is accurate and worth learning.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see how Thousand could live with himself. Every time he went somewhere and he got congratulated for that big buck, he would know it was a lie. That must have eaten at him inside. And now the thing everybody knew him for is gone, and his reputation is ruined.

I doubt remorse and guilt are part of his day. If you are breaking the game laws at the level he is charged with he gave up morals and worrying about that long ago.

<>< Fish

I know a guy who delivers Carolina Sportsman to stores. He said the magazine is finished about a month before the date on the cover. So this story was written and gone to the printer about two weeks before wildlife charged the guy with the poaching. The story was probably written before the poacher even killed his big buck this fall.

Bar3006

Ten Pointer
what a joke I cant believe they would do an article on this goofball again after he pulled the wool over everyone like he did. I wish i was off work the 9th so i could go to court and hear what his lawyer says. probably say it aint fair cause the media got involved.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
So...Carolina Sportsman isn't exactly Field & Stream or Sports Illustrated with their oversight, editorial budgets, staff writers, etc...And the article was likely written and set before this happened, i imagine the "news" or police blotter sections are much newer and set right before printing.

And, I'm not going to defend the man or what he's accused of doing, but OJ was still a helluva running back, and Barry Bonds was a great baseball player before ballooning on Dianabol.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Seriously? That is a strange post tipmoose

Not really...

Ask any LEO, they rarely get a hot tip from the local Deacon, often as not its someone that was similarly involved in shady dealings.

How would we have brought large cases against the mafia, Enron execs, etc, without people that were involved in criminal behavior testifying and exposing the truth.

Just because someone tips an LEO to a poached deer to save their own skin, or get revenge, whatever, doesn't mean it isn't worth following up with.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I get all the talk about time it takes to get a story to press.......

But I found the story online. Can be taken down or edited in a minute. Happens all the time. I know there are paper versions that cannot be retracted but you can minimize the damage, so to speak.

I like CS magazine, but they have egg on their face IMO. I dont care how credible the advice is, when you go around touting a dubious source it looks bad.

like Tipmoose stalin examples....the advice is actually sound, but you generally want to use credible examples if you want credibility yourself. if you were writing an book on the virtues of education and wanted to be taken seriously, would you be quoting Stalin, even though it was sound advice? I personally would probably quote someone more credible on the topic....that's all I am saying.

That said, this thread is probably getting more involved than I intended, I was just trying to highlight an obvious goof up. Probably naive of me.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
JONOV, you misread the comments. It was nothing to do with tipping off the LEO

Think of it this way....if Im going to try and commit a crime, you had better bet the person I would want to talk to first would be a dishonest LEO who could tell me how to not get caught. Sure he's a POS...but he knows the law and the techniques the law uses. As I said in my initial reply: I wouldn't hesitate to use an immoral source depending on my reasons for consulting them.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Tipmoose, just to clarify. In your original post you were stating that the tips given in the article by the accused poacher we're good tips if they were true. Was that the point of your post?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Tipmoose, just to clarify. In your original post you were stating that the tips given in the article by the accused poacher we're good tips if they were true. Was that the point of your post?

Yes. I probably should have just said it that way. I get too verbose sometimes.