Craziest specie you’ve ever killed?

Einstein

Six Pointer
I killed a goldeneye in the foothills this past weekend, and got to thinking, what’s some “out of place” specie of waterfowl you have killed?

I killed an Old Squaw in Iredell County one time. My oddest bird probably.

A buddy of mine killed a greylag (native to Northern Europe) in Catawba County. REALLY odd. Obviously could have been a domestic, but it came in with a group of Canadas and it was the week of superstorm Sandy years back.

Never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Not crazy but out of place, a shoveler flew in with some wood ducks earlier this year in a swamp in harnett county. It was so small you couldnt tell it apart from the wood ducks.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Pintail came in while hunting geese in a cut bean field. Killed a snow goose in the same field couple weeks ago. Durham County

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the day, we shot several goldeneyes and cans off little Farm ponds in Chatham, Alamance and Randolph counties. Wouldn’t really call it odd because it’d happen bout every year.

Probably the oddest thing I killed would been a wood duck drake that came in feet down cupped up to a bunch of goose decoys in a winter wheat field.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Wood Ducks in North Dakota, odd because there isn't much wood to speak of...

We've killed two in many years going up there.

We have a taxidermist in the group we hunt with. Our host likes to have a mount of every species we kill or can legally kill for the house. We're getting close to filling it out...we have a few different subspecies of Canada Geese, Last year we added a coot, not because we hadn't had opportunity but because we were looking at the wall and thinking about what else we we didn't have...Funniest thing I remember, us looking at this goofy thing flying towards us with chicken legs, almost dumbfounded as we've never really seen one FLYING, much less flying 15 yards up, us shooting, and my buddy sprinting after it to beat the Labrador...The lab won the race, and for the first time in 7 years hunting with us, the Dog got to the bird, looked at my buddy with a dirty look, and stalked back to the blind.

The two we're actively looking to add up there are a Black Duck and a Ruddy Duck. The Ruddy we'll get sooner or later...The Black duck might be harder to find.

Also hoping to see a Brant, but we haven't seen one of those yet. We think it would take a strong front coming from the northwest to make that happen.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Killed a drake oldsquaw central nc... know people that have killed white wing scoter, Eurasian wigeon, Ross goose, and few drake goldeneye central nc

Last edited:

Einstein

Six Pointer
Lots of good stories here. I imagine those days when they were killed were good times.

I saw a Ross goose killed in central NC that was banded in the absolute northern most Canada. Above the article circle. Nuts.

2duckdawg

Eurasian Wigeon down in eastern NC and a (wood duck mandarin) hybrid on a beaver pond in Davidson County

Last edited by a moderator:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Shot a lot of Golden Eyes, ring necks and blue bills off the Pacific flyway in Washington state. The canvas back was a great bird for me that I had never shot before.

Einstein

Six Pointer
Neighbor killed a mandarin in western NC. There’s a feral population here. Story is some guy owned them decades ago and let them go and they have successfully populated the area.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Neighbor killed a mandarin in western NC. There’s a feral population here. Story is some guy owned them decades ago and let them go and they have successfully populated the area.

good eats!

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Not me.

A friend went to Mexico on a duck hunt and shot a wood duck hen and Mexico folks had no idea what it was.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Shot and killed an Oldsquaw on the Ohio river not far from Cincinnati. Far far away from any place that had a population of them.

Shot at and missed a cinnamon teal while float hunting a stream in E. KY. Buddy was in bow of canoe, I was in stern paddling, got right up on it and positively IDed it, then buddy shot 3 times with BBBs. Little bird led a charmed life and managed to avoid every single pellet. Our only explanation is that is might have come from an aviary about 50 miles away - but that was just reaching for some answer on our part.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Shot a lot of Golden Eyes, ring necks and blue bills off the Pacific flyway in Washington state. The canvas back was a great bird for me that I had never shot before.

This is where I did most my duck hunting, mostly wigeon and mallards. I should have mounted the prettiest of the Drake Goldeneye and Canvasback like in my avatar. There were many divers. I found lots of pintails west of Cascades, I really want a BWT, have yet to shoot one.

Last edited:

Einstein

Six Pointer
I third that it was probably a mandarin. What area was it shot? I could tell you if that was where that feral population is

Einstein

Six Pointer
Never mind. Saw now you said a beaver pond in Davidson county. That is not too far from those mandarins I know of. Maybe 60 miles.

And that’s not too far to think one of those mandarins flew. I shot a banded wood duck in that mandarin swamp that was banded in davidson County. That was probably 2015.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Got two "magnum" greenheads with one shot. About 25 years ago my Father was paddling me down the Lumber River in an extremely crooked stretch when I spotted a couple of greenheads waddling off to the left out on the bank. No time to shoot before they disappeared so I had my Dad put me out up near where I saw them. I proceeded to slip around out on the area trying to get a glimpse of them and finally I saw them coming from behind some undergrowth. They went behind the bowl of a large cypress so I selected the top barrel, mounted the gun and when they came out from behind the tree their heads were close together so I lowered the boom on them. I walked over to retrieve them only to find the largest damned mallards you could imagine. Seems that a nearby farmer had kept a population of white farm ducks for years which had begun frequenting the swamp and at some time they had comingled with wild mallards and spawned their own population of oversized ducks with perfect mallard markings

I took a lot of ribbing for years from relatives after my Dad told and retold the story of my "magnum mallards".

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
This is where I did most my duck hunting, mostly wigeon and mallards. I should have mounted the prettiest of the Drake Goldeneye and Canvasback like in my avatar. There were many divers. I found lots of pintails west of Cascades, I really want a BWT, have yet to shoot one.

We get plenty of BWT during teal season in NC. The problem is shooting one that actually looks like a BWT. Not going to happen in the NC early teal season.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
A guy hunting in the pit blind 400 yards from us in NE Arkansas shot a bull Canvasback in a flooded rice field a few years back. The lodge owner said it had been 20+/- years since he had seen any in his fields. A definite trophy that was way off course.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Killed a canvasback in Concord (Cabarrus County)

Also had a mature Tundra Swan hang around a pond in Iredell... unfortunately it was the 1 year I didnt draw a permit

SM270

Ten Pointer
Killed a Mallard one year that was double banded with zip ties, obviously a farm duck but he flew in wild and died wild.