Exotic wood ID

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I know we have a few woodworkers here. I need help identifying this piece I'm using. It's dense and oily. I'm thinking Gancalo Alves but really just guessing. Wood ID is not my strength. My shelf is litterex with wood I purchased up to 8 years ago and some of the labels have come off.

1216171051d.jpg
1216171051b.jpg
1216171051c.jpg

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No Idea.............testament to how sharp your knives are with that band aid on the one digit, LOL.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks like cocabolo to me but could be a tropical walnut, I have had some of that that looked a lot like it, would need to see a piece with a lot less sap wood to do better than that

BVB

Four Pointer
Yep. Looking at what grain I can see, I would say cocabolo, with alot of sap. Especially with you sayin how oily it is.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
check with my buddy kevin at novinc knives...he also owns sowbelly woods....stabilizes a lot of his own wood for his knives and for sale...he might know

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
He makes some nice stuff. I see some of his work on a Facebook page we're both on.
Didnt know if you two knew each other or not...we've been friends forever, even roommates in college. ..im not on Facebook, so didnt know

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like Cocobolo to me...Drop it a bucket of water, Cocobolo so I have read doesn't float ..Cocobolo has a spice like smell when sawed some people have a nasty alergic reaction to the oil in Cocobolo and don't breath the dust from it while sawing..Its hard as woodpecker lips I made 2 self bows out of it but never again, ruined two wood rasps working the stuff..Makes pretty knife handles as well...

Last edited:

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
My first thought when I saw the end grain was walnut. If you've ever worked with walnut you can easily tell if it's walnut if you cut it or sand it. It has a very distinct smell when you work with it.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well, I done messed up! Sanded to close to the tang and got through to the epoxy. Split the wood off and threw on a slab of ebony. So far ive got blood, sweat and tears into this one. Its for a very good friend and former roomate. I think its fitting how challenging this knife has become. Friendships go through lots of trials and I'm hoping the end result will be worth it.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
Looks like ipay. I think its kinda pronounced "Epay". Comes out of the rain forest, super hard and extremely rot resistant also very heavy.

Last edited:

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Looks like ipay. I think its kinda pronounced "Epay". Comes out of the rain forest, super hard and extremely rot resistant also very heavy.
Ipe is what you're referring to. It's not Ipe, I have some here as well. Super tough and dense wood.

tjfreddy

Button Buck
My first though is Katalox. We brought some in a few years ago that had sap wood on it (I work for a whole sale lumber imported) that looked similar to you sample. There is also another specie called Wamara that is very heavy/dense like the Katalox. It also has a whitish sap wood.