How was the December Opener?

JD1107

Wood duck hunt. One short of a two man limit. Had some geese that wouldn’t get close enough for a shot and a lost swan that could have been killed if we had a tag. Heard some mallards but they were in another part of the swamp.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Where are All the Ducks!
Well today wasn't as good as we had hoped. Launched at John's River GL boat ramp. Got there about 5, 4 boats already gone.
Damn the ramp was slick n icy going in and coming back out.
All the small spots were iced over.
Our group had 2 mallards come in at FL, got the hen, then nothing but cold. Then there was some shooting up river of us that stirred up a group of 15 that came over us but way to high. That was it the rest of morning. Cruised down Lake Rhodhiss, not a bird to be seen.
We got back to the boat ramp, and after slipping, sliding, spinning tires to get boat out, we were done, cold frozen feet.
We were rigging boat, chatting with another hunter, when low and behold, a wood duck swims by the boat ramp, i think it was teasing us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Pics
5db8e41db4ee7c53e793510dcb233353.jpg
32baa8c1e26176290d77f364d71f8262.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Made it out this morning. Shot a couple but neither were recovered, unfortunately. First time I shot a chunk of feathers off a bird and it didn't fall right away. Not a few feathers, but a large chunk. The other one dropped like lead, dove, got up and was on it's belly, rolled over, then flew off really low. Kinda crazy. My brother said he stopped duck hunting when they made lead illegal. I can see why. One was a teal and the other a hoodie. Overall, it was really slow.