Disappointed in .270 results

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
Remington 150 grain core lock
Probably one of the most over looked and underated factory loads on the shelf.. Not to mention one of the most economical. They simply work and way more accurate then the ones pullin the trigger.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I love the 270. I have shot the same one since 1982 and wouldn't have nothing else. Aint no telling how many deer this gun has killed. I shot Core Lokt for years but it seemed they got where they wouldn't group well. I switched to the American Whitetail and I'm touching holes at 100 yards. I have shot 10 deer with them and not had any issues at all. Havent had one go over 20 yards yet. Love mine and wouldn't have anything else. Also I think the 130 grain is a better choice than the 150 from what I have learned over the years from other 270 shooters.

Last edited:

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
In my opinion the original 130 PowerPoint is one of the best whitetail rds ever. 20yds to 400 I've seen or taken deer & never a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whit2320

Four Pointer
I bought American whitetail for my 7mag just to get it sighted in. The gun loves them so I stuck with them. Have had no issues. Shot several at 300 yards and no issues with pass thru or blood (1 of which was a 180# buck). I know we're talking about very different calibers, but performance has been great to this point. As for my 270, I shoot hornady superformance sst in 130 grain. Gun likes them ok, had great results with that bullet. But I typically shoulder or neck shoot my deer

Last edited:

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What twist is your .223? I'm looking to get a .223 for my daughter to deer hunt with... Barnes bullets seem to be best option

Ps not interested in anyone blasting their opinions about .223 being too small for deer

I know you didn't ask me but I bought a little bolt savage 10 predator 1-9 twist and it shot everything 45gn to 77gn under an MOA I settled on a 62gn ttsx for deer. Killed two does this year at 100 and 165yds and they both piled up within 60yds.
I have owned 270s a 30-06 a .308 and have shot them with slug guns. They all run a little shot behind the shoulder. The .223 is very capable at 250yds in deer. Probably further. I like the light recoil. Makes it fun too shoot and easy to breath and squeeze. I would shoot the federal fusion if I didn't have buddy's that loaded. Black hills and a few other manufactures load the Ttsx or tsx.
92f0954819904738b7d28ee18b72574b.jpg

Cheers. Great little deer gun.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
The right behind the shoulder aim point should be used only in rifle scope advertisements. This aim point pretty much guarantees a frantic 100 yard dash as the deer bleeds to death. A high shoulder impact usually leaves your deer DRT. Broken ribs allow for the 100 yard dash, broken shoulders do not ... Try it. I am color-blind and have a hard time seeing blood on the leaves. The high shoulder shot has saved me many trailing jobs for over 50 years. Bill

VikingsFan8178

I bought American whitetail for my 7mag just to get it sighted in. The gun loves them so I stuck with them. Have had no issues. Shot several at 300 yards and no issues with pass thru or blood (1 of which was a 180# buck). I know we're talking about very different calibers, but performance has been great to this point. As for my 270, I shoot hornady superformance sst in 130 grain. Gun likes them ok, had great results with that bullet. But I typically shoulder or neck shoot my deer

I chose the American Whitetail my for 308 and it seems to do the job so I have stuck with it.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing wrong with .270 for deer (or most anything else in North America). If you're double-lunging them through the ribs, you should expect that they'll run 50 - 100 yards before they'll pile-up, regardless of the type of bullet.

Try high shoulder shots and I think you'll get the results you're looking for.........

tjfreddy

Button Buck
I have used federal Premium ballistic tips in my Ruger 270 for years. If i shoot neck or aim opposite shoulder they die within sight. If i shoot double lung/heart they run for a bit (but still die). I think that is the way with most bullets thought. The neck or shoulder shot gets more of the billet “shock” in my opinion. Lung/heart shot still kills them though but you do not usually get bang/flop like you do with shoulder or neck. Don’t give up on the 270.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Discussed this ammo this eve with 6 DAV guests hunting our farm today and 3 said they'd read reviews that the bullet performance varies.....occaisionally explode on impact basically....no penetration.

Houstonj

Button Buck
I shoot remington core lokt 150 grain in my 308 and out of the last 15 i think i had to track 3 and all went less than 30 yards. Best part aboht them is you can catch them on sale at stores for around 15 a box.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have tried other bullets in my .270, but I always go back to a proven bullet, my experiences. I shoot the Federal Premium 130 gr. BTSP, a Sierra Game King bullet.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing wrong with .270 for deer (or most anything else in North America). If you're double-lunging them through the ribs, you should expect that they'll run 50 - 100 yards before they'll pile-up, regardless of the type of bullet.

Try high shoulder shots and I think you'll get the results you're looking for.........

^^^This^^^
I taught my kids at an early age to hit high shoulder. Told them that they may loose 2-3 lbs of meat, but little chance of looking for and potentially loosing an entire deer. They rarely take a step, and they're face hits the dirt before the rest!

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
What twist is your .223? I'm looking to get a .223 for my daughter to deer hunt with... Barnes bullets seem to be best option

Ps not interested in anyone blasting their opinions about .223 being too small for deer

All of my .223 are 1/7 and I use the 64 gr Speer Gold Dot for hunting. I picked up a bunch of them the last time PSA was running a sale. I have only shot a few with them as I generally hunt with either a .308 or 6.8 SPCII but everything I shot was DRT with a shoulder shot.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Saved me some typing. Who needs a blood trail on a 100 yard recovery?

i think i do. I posted my desire for a blood trail after a short behind the shoulder shot failed to provide one a few weeks ago. had the deer ran that far in the dark i would have had more fun than i wanted finding him in the thick cutover.

all things being equal (and apparently you can get both) I want the blood trail. I feel lucky on the ones i had shot with the ballistic tip. I am switching next year for sure.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
No longer have my Sauer 90 in .270 but did take several Whitetails and Dall sheep using standard Remington 130 gr CorLokt or Winchester 130 gr Silvertips.

CD

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
golfer, just try a heavy-for-caliber bullet with a good reputation and you'll probably be good. Any of the good ones from Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Barns, Nosler, etc...

You might also want to try a round nose bullet.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

True this. I shot a truckload with a .243 through the ribs, just like I do when I kill them with a bow. Buck takes off, runs 75 yards with a minimal blood trail from the small 100g bullet, but I always found them. And I knew better.

One evening hunt, being pressed for time and not wanting to do much trailing, I concentrated on busting out both shoulders on a buck about 40 yards away. DRT. That was kinda nice. Started doing that at every opportunity and it made things a lot easier. Deer didn't go far if they moved at all and only lost a little meat on the shoulders.

chef

Ten Pointer
if you are worried it is the bullet shoot the superperformance sst. i shoot it and it works great.