Old flint lock hunting log, very interesting

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/huntingstories.htm (Be sure and check the hotlinks for pics of the Gathright modern camp)
Found this on the book of faces. I grew up near the area they hunted which is what made it interesting to me. Here are a few things that made me go hmmmmm... (1) Guy claims to have shot at a big cat? (2) Dr. Pepper in 1966? (3) atlatl and spear? (4) I remember the ice storm of 1979. It was opening day and it started as rain. I remember the morning broke and it was red. The saying "Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in the morning sailors take warning." kept going through my head.

mag44thunder

Six Pointer
I was also caught in the big snow of 72. I was hunting near table rock, on the Daniel Boone game land. I thought we would never get out.
my first son was born during the ice storm of 79.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Very interesting stories indeed lots of good hunting times with good friends...Makes me wish I could have taken part in a few of the hunts, thanks for the post..

Boojum

Ten Pointer
http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/huntingstories.htm (Be sure and check the hotlinks for pics of the Gathright modern camp)
Found this on the book of faces. I grew up near the area they hunted which is what made it interesting to me. Here are a few things that made me go hmmmmm... (1) Guy claims to have shot at a big cat? (2) Dr. Pepper in 1966? (3) atlatl and spear? (4) I remember the ice storm of 1979. It was opening day and it started as rain. I remember the morning broke and it was red. The saying "Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in the morning sailors take warning." kept going through my head.

Very cool stuff, thanks for the link! As for your hmmm things:

1) Not that surprising. There were a couple killed in western NC in the 50s.
2) Dr Pepper was first produced in 1885, a year before Coca-Cola. It went nationwide in 1904, according to Google.
3) I used to make atlatls and darts and throw them a lot. I personally know a few people who have killed deer and hogs with them. The bow and arrow are relatively new weapons in North America. The atlatl was the main weapon of the Native Americans for thousands of years up until around 1,000 BC when the bow, pottery, and agriculture made it to the southeast at the beginning of the Woodland period. Most "arrowheads" that folks find are actually atlatl dart points.