Single stage press

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Whats y'alls favorite single stage press and why? I sold my progressive and want to get a nice single stage, but there are many options. Looks like lee amd hornady both have quick change die bushings....and hornady makes a quick change bushing for rcbs presses also...

I want to reload 50-100 cases at a time on average.

Recommendations?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve had lee and rcbs in single stages and the only single stage I have left is the rcbs rockchucker. I use it for all my rifle stuff everything else I load on dillons. I like it because of how sturdy it is, had a bunch of rounds ran across it and still looks new.

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
ive had a Lee Hand Press that i received for Christmas from my parents in 1984. It has never failed me! i can sit in my recliner and load. I really enjoy it.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Rcbs rockchocker is going to be the best choice for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Forster Co-ax............and that is 100% personal preference. It has a lot of open space to get my fat fingers in there to place bullets and has ample leverage if you ever have the need to form cases. The dies slip in the front so no turning needed and the bottom has a claw style shellholder that is pretty universal so no changes needed from caliber to caliber.

I also have a Rockchucker that has been here forever and I have zero issues with that one either. Just seems like I use it more on large pistol calibers and smaller caliber rifle cases. Larger cases always go on the Forster. This will be like most anything else and will come down to personal preference.

ETA...All the bulk batches get done on Dillon presses

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Have many types.
RCBS rockchucker is the best.
They also have a really HD one I cant remember the mod but it is great for HP loading.
The die is pressed down on the case. Got it a few years back and loading big stuff is easier.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
As mentioned the RCBS Rockchucker is an excellent press. I've been using the same one for over 25yrs with zero issues.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have the Hornady Lock-N-Load and have used for years for pistol and just started rifle. When I first started into reloading this one was on sale and I picked up the kit at Cabelas that had about everything I needed at the time. It has served me well.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I was in cabelas in garner yesterday and they have an rcbs rock chucked master kit that has the electronic scale, electric case trim station, rock chucked press and other assorted gadgets for around $400. That is cheaper then you can buy the rcbs electronic scale and the prep station for by themselves almost

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have a newer Lee challenger, an old Lee single stage and a new rock chucker. The RCBS is a great press and I really like it but at over twice the price the Lee was a better value in my mind. I have made tens of thousands of rou ds between a Lee single stage and a turret.

My old Lee single stage is no longer in use and I'd be interested in getting rid of it. I'm sure I have some other goodies to get a new hand loader started as well. PM me if you are interested.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was in cabelas in garner yesterday and they have an rcbs rock chucked master kit that has the electronic scale, electric case trim station, rock chucked press and other assorted gadgets for around $400. That is cheaper then you can buy the rcbs electronic scale and the prep station for by themselves almost

I was actually in the same Cabelas yesterday as well! Man, they need to lubricate those presses so you can actually get a feel for the stroke of each press! They are all dried out!

Actually, i only need the press, dies, and a priming station (probably a hand primer).

I already have a scale and the rest of the stuff from when i had my progressive press....i just want to get a good single stage that will last. I thought that the RCBS RockChucker did look like a solid press that was well built, but haven't bought one yet.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a newer Lee challenger, an old Lee single stage and a new rock chucker. The RCBS is a great press and I really like it but at over twice the price the Lee was a better value in my mind. I have made tens of thousands of rou ds between a Lee single stage and a turret.

My old Lee single stage is no longer in use and I'd be interested in getting rid of it. I'm sure I have some other goodies to get a new hand loader started as well. PM me if you are interested.
Pm sent pinehunter

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I’ve got oa rockchucker rc2 that I’ve just about quit using. I switched over to a turret press for ease of changing calibers and uniformity of loads.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for all of the responses.

I just ordered a Rock Chucker from Midway. $115 for the Press, and a mail in rebate for $25 from RCBS.

Seemed hard to beat for $90....

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I have been using the same old Redding and an old RCBS Rockchucker single stage presses ever since I first started helping reload. There is no telling how many hundreds of thousands of round those 2 presses have loaded over the last 40 years or so, just since I been using them. No tell how many rounds my dad loaded with them. They are still going strong and I will most likely pass them down to my son. Bottom line is either the Redding Big Boss II or RCBS Rockchucker will last you a life time and then some. If you think you may need more than that take a look at the Forster Co-Ax. I like the looks of the Co-Ax as it looks like it is built for serious reloading but at $300 for just the press, I'd personally go with the Redding or RCBS at half the cost and put the other half toward some top notch accessories like powder charger, scales, trimmers, tumbler, etc.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The chucker came today via big brown. It was either play with it or sit in the woods....ill play with it tonight after the hunt.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Deprimed, sized, and reprimed 45 cases for .223 tonight. Primed on the press via priming arm.

Simple and easy. I like.
fd2766599513f2b7af286185530a352b.jpg

Last edited:

BJordan

Eight Pointer
I'll take the Lee Classic Cast over the Rock Chucker any day. It's built just as strong and is a little cheaper. The big difference for me is I don't like the plastic container that always seems to break for catching the old primers when resizing. The LEE has a hollow ram that drops all the primers in a bucket sitting directly under the press/table. It also has a hose you can connect to catch the primers in. I've broken the plastic catch tray twice on a Rock Chucker.

When most people think of a LEE press they think of the cheap one that is definitely low quality. Look up the classic cast and rock chuck both on midway and the classic cast is rated higher. Not sure why Lee doesn't do a better job of marketing that press, most folks don't know it exists.

Lee is also made in the USA if that matters to you where the Rock Chucker is now being cast in China....

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MI2r6qyvzA2AIVRYGzCh3qlQuhEAQYAyABEgIQv_D_BwE

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I'll take the Lee Classic Cast over the Rock Chucker any day. It's built just as strong and is a little cheaper. The big difference for me is I don't like the plastic container that always seems to break for catching the old primers when resizing. The LEE has a hollow ram that drops all the primers in a bucket sitting directly under the press/table. It also has a hose you can connect to catch the primers in. I've broken the plastic catch tray twice on a Rock Chucker.

When most people think of a LEE press they think of the cheap one that is definitely low quality. Look up the classic cast and rock chuck both on midway and the classic cast is rated higher. Not sure why Lee doesn't do a better job of marketing that press, most folks don't know it exists.

Lee is also made in the USA if that matters to you where the Rock Chucker is now being cast in China....

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MI2r6qyvzA2AIVRYGzCh3qlQuhEAQYAyABEgIQv_D_BwE

the big thing with the Lee is the warranty.

Lee only backs there stuff 1 to 2 years. And is a limited warranty.

RCBS is lifetime.

Never had anything but great service and help from RCBS. Cant say the same for lee. I own a bunch of Lee stuff. Their hand press is great. But like most light weight stuff they get a lot of slop in them. No fix or warranty.

Will I buy Lee stuff. Yep lots of good stuff. Just that the RCBS is better and backed that way.