Bipod recommendations needed

Metzbower

Ten Pointer
I plan to go out west next year to hunt elk and am looking for recommendations for a bipod.

Specifically, Brand and model, how mounted, but also interested in thoughts on weight, height range (some are 9"-15', some are far less). Really interested in advice from those that use them and how you practice with them (range, fields, real life kind of practice - uphill or downhill, etc.) All assuming you have a solid backstop, you know what is in front of your target, etc.

Thanks in advance.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Have you thought about a good pair of shooting sticks? Easier to use/adjust when sitting/standing than the gun mounted ones.

Plus I've always thought a rifle-mounted bipod was too awkward to carry in woods. And if you're hunting in Colorado or a place where the rifle has to be cased in vehicles, be awkward getting it into and out of soft case over and over again.

And your backpack would be just as effective for support at longer range

Just some thoughts

gameland

Twelve Pointer
My advice is get a Caldwell field pod. By far the best rest out there. It’s gonna be more to carry than a bipod mounted on a gun but it’s just like shooting from a lead sled or sand bags. Its adjustable for shooting on the ground or standing.

Last edited:

Randy

Ten Pointer
Have you thought about a good pair of shooting sticks? Easier to use/adjust when sitting/standing than the gun mounted ones.

Plus I've always thought a rifle-mounted bipod was too awkward to carry in woods. And if you're hunting in Colorado or a place where the rifle has to be cased in vehicles, be awkward getting it into and out of soft case over and over again.

And your backpack would be just as effective for support at longer range

Just some thoughts

Also, if your going to be hunting off horseback, the rifle will probably not fit in a scabbard with a bipod attached.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Shooting sticks or backpack...............unless you are hunting the open prairie...........I have bipods on my guns to shoot targets with, but they come off when I hunt out there and just use bogpod shooting sticks or my pack when in rough country.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ditto Bryguy's response. You will need the flexibility to quickly adjust your shooting rest...100% chance. A bipod offers quick adjustment. Should 'out west' involve areas with lots of rocks including BIG rocks, your pack will play a major role.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use a Harris Bipod on my TC Contender which I usually hunt from a stand with. I would recommend shooting sticks for a rifle if you are doing a lot of spot and stalk hunting, which has been my experience in Wyoming and Montana.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
My advise to much weight. Use your pack or a tree for a rest. You will most likely shooting over sage brush so a bipod would be usless.

Last edited: